The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the worldwide- nearly discontinued parts?

This might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. All of these 40's that are being restored, presumable most of the parts for these trucks have been discontinued but there are still parts for restorations. Is it that there are fewer on the road, so there are more sitting around with spare parts to use ; or at some point does it hit a critical mass that enough of these trucks need the same parts that the aftermarket picks up where Mr. T left off?

There are actually tons of 40 parts still available. Some are NOS= New old stock: i.e., parts that were manufactured years ago and are sitting on a shelf either at a dealership or at a parts depot. These are generally not being manufactured anymore and once they are gone, they are gone.

Then you have parts that are still being manufactured by Toyota and their suppliers daily (Aisin Seiki, Denso, Murakami, Aisan, Aichi Steel Corporation, NOK, Koyo, etc.)

Many parts are only manufactured as ordered-- say 2F valves-- from the valve manufacturer... hence the long wait times (I use this one as an example because I have been waiting for over a month on a set of 2F intake and exhaust valves for a client's engine build).

Toyota part number labels have a date code on them and you can see exactly when they were manufactured if you understand how the Toyota manufacturing dating system works internally.

Also consider that the 25/40 series trucks were basically built from 1957-1984 (in some markets): 27 years.

The 80 series was a very low production vehicle compared to say the Camry or the Corolla, worldwide--even compared to the 40 series. 1991-1/1998 in most parts of the world and through 2007 in Venezuela--which came in as CKD kits from Nagoya on ships. So if we use 1998 as the real end date of worldwide production that means that we should be reasonably happy that Toyota is still manufacturing parts for a vehicle that ostensibly ended production almost 20 years ago now.

Most of the aftermarket parts pretty much suck unfortunately. Mostly all Chi-comm junk. Toyota keiretsu companies have a long, deep manufacturing history and philosophy that is imbued in their parts. Consider 90919-21557: Spark plug wire set. Many of the 80's on the road today with 1FZ-FE engines have the ORIGINAL wire sets on the truck (usually per the date stamp on the wires themselves). That's amazing in my opinion and I would be hard pressed to find a better aftermarket substitute for that component system.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this s***. :lol:

Could?

:lol:

80 Series upper tailgate is now discontinued: 67005-60800
80 Series lower tailgate is now discontinued: 65061-60031
80 Series dash pad in blue/gray is discontinued: Early: 55401-60050-03// Late: 55401-60150-B0
80 Series dash pad in tan is discontinued for the early ones: 55401-60050-06.

80 series late tan dash pad is still available (amazingly)... though it is long in the teeth as well.

80 series glove box door in tan and gray, early and late, are discontinued.

80 series carpet in blue/gray is discontinued (early and late)

80 series front wiring harness (w/fuse box) is now discontinued: Weird. I sourced one for a client about 2 months ago. 82111-60323

80 series transmission wire harness where it connects to the main engine wire harness near the starter is discontinued: 82125-60290

80 series tachometer is discontinued: 83242-6A200

80 series speedometer (1996-EOP) is discontinued: 83220-60120

And the biggest loss recently: All 80 series ECU's are now discontinued. That's actually quite a bummer.

80 Series upper tailgate is now discontinued: 67005-60800
80 Series lower tailgate is now discontinued: 65061-60031

80 series glove box door in tan and gray, early and late, are discontinued.

80 series carpet in blue/gray is discontinued (early and late)

80 series front wiring harness (w/fuse box) is now discontinued: Weird. I sourced one for a client about 2 months ago. 82111-60323

80 series transmission wire harness where it connects to the main engine wire harness near the starter is discontinued: 82125-60290

80 series tachometer is discontinued: 83242-6A200

80 series speedometer (1996-EOP) is discontinued: 83220-60120

And the biggest loss recently: All 80 series ECU's are now discontinued. That's actually quite a bummer.

I have a feeling that we'll eventually get to a point where doing a restoration of a LC80/LX450 will be a near impossible feat

:(

This thread worries me the most of all the threads. I don't wheel my 80, but if I did this thread would make me lose sleep. lol

Yeah that carpet and the door panels have been NLA for quite some time - a year or so per my local dealership :(

just Mr. T on business pushing all of us attached to old vehicle to buy a new one and discard de old .. and pretty effective method tho ..

My next one will be a 200 series for sure

Not good. Really really really not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom