The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit. I really didn't want to do an LS swap. :( All the cosmetic stuff can be worked around, but keeping that Toyota heart was the whole point.

Appears the only option left is a resto-mod.

We've been talking about a 100 or 200, but with parts evaporating it seems like a 40 is a better option. Kaizen is proven, but the invaluable nature of goodwill makes it difficult to quantify for shareholders. These shorter production runs will ultimately harm the goodwill Toyota spent half a century developing. To state that it's frustrating for this consumer risks understatement.

Well some good news for once:

I was able to find rear OEM springs that are still available for both sides. Previously, the LH side spring was discontinued. And it is. The RH spring was barely still available.

After spending a few hours inputting part numbers, I was able to find some non-US market springs that are available in the US market: 48231-6A080. You would want to get two of this part number as opposed to getting the side-specific PNC's.

Hope that helps.
-onur

Dammit. I really didn't want to do an LS swap. :( All the cosmetic stuff can be worked around, but keeping that Toyota heart was the

if ecu goes just runa stand alone mpfi and bump up to a mild turbo for half the cost of ls swap. still good ol inline6 durability and i think unleashing the 1fz from the ecu chokehold would make anyone alot happier than throwing codes or ls swap.

the latest iteration of 1fz produced was making 240hp 300 tq ( direct ignition) the non usa ecu which was a 16 wire unit. i think those were made 1998- 2007. can those still be had @beno ? or those non usa all gone now too ?

that fzj100 engine sounds alot simpler -no dizzy- and improved head- injection.

Last edited:
if ecu goes just runa stand alone mpfi and bump up to a mild turbo for half the cost of ls swap. still good ol inline6 durability and i think unleashing the 1fz from the ecu chokehold would make anyone alot happier than throwing codes or ls swap.

the latest iteration of 1fz produced was making 240hp 300 tq ( direct ignition) the non usa ecu which was a 16 wire unit. i think those were made 1998- 2007. can those still be had @beno ? or those non usa all gone now too ?

that fzj100 engine sounds alot simpler -no dizzy- and improved head- injection.

I would love one of those direct ignition units. Did they only ship in the 70 series trucks, or were they also available in the 105? Can those motors make it past customs/EPA, or are they on the watch list? How do you source a 2002-2007 direct ignition unit? Do you order the front half of a 70?

80 Series VC'ed transfer case assemblies are now discontinued.

Only one now available is the non-VC'ed transfer case. And this one will be gone shortly as well. F6 class code. F9= bye, bye.

A440F is discontinued.
A442F is discontinued.
A343F is barely still available. Doubt this one will be around much longer either.

I read about toyotas TNGA, it is pretty savvy business wise, and some of the changes are pretty cool too, like training new employees worldwide on old school equipment to get them in connection with how the car is made. They are also moving back to more people -less robotics which is interesting.
But like you said beno, TNGA likely means the end of the current replacement parts structure too. That piece of the puzzle stinks.

Well some good news for once:

I was able to find rear OEM springs that are still available for both sides. Previously, the LH side spring was discontinued. And it is. The RH spring was barely still available.

After spending a few hours inputting part numbers, I was able to find some non-US market springs that are available in the US market: 48231-6A080. You would want to get two of this part number as opposed to getting the side-specific PNC's.

Hope that helps.
-onur

This would be a similar situation to the 91-91 with towing package that used the same spring on both sides. This application requires a spacer on one side to level the truck. The spacer is a 48373-60010, if it is still available.

Last edited:
ECU is concerning on a few levels, but might also force change. People love the 80 platform and have spent quite a bit of money on it so if an ECU goes I don't see them tossing the whole truck. Plug and Play standalone would have a market.

The transmissions and transfercases are alarming. Time to rebuild not replace. Hopefully the internals stick around for a while.

ECU is concerning on a few levels, but might also force change. People love the 80 platform and have spent quite a bit of money on it so if an ECU goes I don't see them tossing the whole truck. Plug and Play standalone would have a market...

But a small market, nonetheless. And if it was just engine control it would be one thing, but 1993-97 also used an electronic controlled transmission ECU (two ECUs in 1993-94, integrated into one ECU 1995-97) so that complicates things. And then there's the whole emissions testing aspect too. I think this latter issue will be minor since these early years of the OBD-II specification were not very stringent (e.g., no engine/vehicle IDs and no VINs included in the OBD-II data), but all things that need to be taken into account with any aftermarket solutions. As I said earlier, unobtainable ECUs is really very unfortunate for our otherwise very robust rigs.

That's why I have backer.

Has anyone put these parts into a spreadsheet? I'll offer to do it, maybe make it open source like a google doc or something so anyone posting can update it.

Perhaps add a column with links for any workarounds/threads to replace the part and keep them running?

Ah! stop posting on this thread Beno - it is killing me seeing all the parts disappear. (It is good to know what we are losing though so don't actually stop posting)

Has anyone put these parts into a spreadsheet? I'll offer to do it, maybe make it open source like a google doc or something so anyone posting can update it.

Perhaps add a column with links for any workarounds/threads to replace the part and keep them running?

Yes please do so, we need this!

Ok. Just installed my fourth, perhaps fifth set of O2 sensors on my 94. Hope they never discontinue 89465-60110!!! If they do I'm hosed!!

As far as the stand alone ecu goes, Wolf ecu of AU has a plug and play unit for the 80, but you must have a tuner set up the transmission parameters (as well as engine tune I assume). I have tried to find info and reviews and haven't had great results. With the discontinued factory unit, hopefully other brands will jump on the plug and play bandwagon.

There are several electronic repair shops that I know of that can repair obsolete products manufacturers no longer support (I deal with power systems and industrial controls and this happens fairly regularly). These guys perform board level fixes and I have never seem them not be able to repair a product, especially if you can supply them a working copy to use as a reference. Since the ECU vintage most likely uses mostly analog components (Digital Signal Processing chips going obsolete are the what cause the big problems) I think the ECU should be repairable when it fails.

I know its not a Toyota OE solution, but just trying to uplift the mood a little.

I can't speak for early years of ECU for the 3FE, but OBD II years certainly use digital components. The big problem is that the majority of the ICs are proprietary chips made by FujitsuTen so there's no information or spec sheets available. One of the few identifiable ICs is a Motorola SC371016F that is used for the J1850 bus interface. But most everything else is a mystery IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom