the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . . (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did I mention it was 118 outside :eek: and probably only slightly less inside

It makes you appreciate the AC in the FZJ80.

isn't that the truth :lol: - the 80 blows cold after just about 30 seconds even with the R134a conversion :bounce:

I hate rust. I threw in the towel with my rust situation. It is someone else's problem now.

the rust is pretty limited as it were, considering it's an AZ/UT rig :meh: and this is not really a restoration effort; more like upgrading for the next ten years or so . . . - I figure if I'll ever have another wheeler after that, the next generation is going to be all electric :cheers:

Last edited:
1/8" likely would have been good, 3/16" overkill, 1/4" takes a ton of work/grinding to fit. We used 3x3" tube, the stock sill was ~2 1/4" so will net ~3/4" of body lift

I wondered about that when I saw that giant tube.

upgrading for the next ten years or so . . . - I figure if I'll ever have another wheeler after that, the next generation is going to be all electric :cheers:

Hydrogen, for sure...

cutting of access windows into the overkill sill for rear access to the mounting bolt holes and bodymounts

When I replaced my rear sill with 2.5:x2.5"x0.25" square tube, I just tapped the tube for the bolts instead of cutting access windows. 0.25" is plenty thick and eliminates any places for crap to accumulate and start rusting again.

Claudia, my compliments!:bounce: I remember when my 1974 looked just like that...

igotta40:cheers:

murf said:
That will never happen, she will wheel anywhere - we tease her about being the three wheeled wonder because one wheel is always "levitating"!

Claudia - looks like the guys at the LS&E are fixing her up nicely! Ar they adding your new built 60 series axle also on this session?

Glad youre keeping it blue - I couldn't imagine it being anything else :cool:

You're going to LOVE 60 series axles Claudia! I could not believe the difference it made to my LX.

Kevin did you jack up the tub? Looks like alot of space under there

Yep, first it was up ~3/4" where it is planned to be, now it's up ~1.5" to gain more working room.

When I replaced my rear sill with 2.5:x2.5"x0.25" square tube, I just tapped the tube for the bolts instead of cutting access windows. 0.25" is plenty thick and eliminates any places for crap to accumulate and start rusting again.

You could actually cut access windows on the bottom with a hole saw, then weld captive nuts on the backs of the pieces and weld them back on. I'd characterize 0.25" as barely thick enough, not "plenty...". I like the idea of having it solid to keep the crap out. Did you swish around some rustoleum or something inside there to keep the rust down?

Santa Fe just hit 100 last Wednesday for the first time in history. After seven years in Australia, I hoped I'd never see triple digits again....

100+ is too hot

It's been nice here ... 80's in NY ... But ... You probably don't have as high of taxes ... My taxes pay for the cooler temperatures in NY :rolleyes:

NY gov controls everything ... But not my cruiser :) ... It only controls the rust aspect ... And gas ... And inspections... Registration ... I think I'm getting depressed now :meh:

100+ is too hot

It's been nice here ... 80's in NY ... But ... You probably don't have as high of taxes ... My taxes pay for the cooler temperatures in NY :rolleyes:

NY gov controls everything ... But not my cruiser :) ... It only controls the rust aspect ... And gas ... And inspections... Registration ... I think I'm getting depressed now :meh:

My guess, we likely have "a few" more/closer/greater selection of wheeling opportunities.:cool:

Tried a new experiment today: Got some Oxalic Acid (sold as Wood Bleach), cleaned out the harbor freight ultrasonic thingy, filled with water (~1.5L) and added ~ 1 table spoon of the crystals. Tossed some representative rusty parts in, soaked for the afternoon, clicked the ultrasonic cycle (8 min) whenever one of us walked by/thought about it.

Observations: It strips zinc plating, likely not good for any of the softer metals. Doesn't mess with well adhered paint. Did a great job on the rust, a couple of the parts could have gone a bit longer. Just rinsed them with water, so, great result for little effort.

The ultrasonic thingy has proven to be very handy for cleaning small parts, especially hardware, a pain to clean most other ways. May have to get at least one more, to have them setup with different chems. This one has more than earned it's keep, tons of hours on it, keeps on ticking.:hillbilly:
Rust_1.jpg
Rust_2.jpg
Rust_3.jpg

... Did you swish around some rustoleum or something inside there to keep the rust down?

Will probably slobber something in there (not likely to be rustoleum, hate that stuff!). Not that worried about it, at .25" and living in AZ, by the time rust would eat through it, all of us that care will be long gone! My guess, that bridge beam, even if left naked, will far out last the rest of the rig.:hillbilly:

In Tn, where it is normally 100 by now, it has been 85 all week long. 74 this morning at 11. You guys must be hogging all the heat.

Well, we DO have a couple of fans :doh:and a swamp cooler, sort of. :hmm: But, as everyone knows, :idea: IT'S A DRY HEAT!!:censor::grinpimp:

Well, we DO have a couple of fans :doh:and a swamp cooler, sort of. :hmm: But, as everyone knows, :idea: IT'S A DRY HEAT!!:censor::grinpimp:

You can cook a turkey in dry heat.

I was based in Phoenix for two years as a captain with Mesa Airlines. I loved the winters there, but you can keep the summers. It is not as hot as Adelaide, but at least the houses are cool. Australians don't know about insulation, so the houses and buildings are nearly as hot as the outside.

How we left it tonight, ready to be welded in, then time for skin.

It looks to me like the existing sheet metal is slightly inside the line of the new brace?? Mine was like that and it was really hard to correct when welding up the sheet metal. Something to consider. I ended up with a dip in the sheet metal and I had to use some bondo at that location.

Are you going to attach the sheet metal as it goes around the corner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom