Builds Texas Tan - Tilda Bogue Service Station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you find a belt that fit? I've been battling this same problem for 2 years plus. Whines like a banshee. I'm going to try swapping my harmonic balancer soon because I've tried probably 8 belts and they all end up squeaking after a while.

The damn belt I got is about an inch too short.

Going back tomorrow

I've never rode in a 40 jumpseat - no one to drive it for me. It can't be bad for around the farm; I'd try some pavement. The jumpseats are for when you have to wait for the rain to end, so you can set up the tent.

Dog seats.

I've never rode in a 40 jumpseat - no one to drive it for me. It can't be bad for around the farm; I'd try some pavement. The jumpseats are for when you have to wait for the rain to end, so you can set up the tent.
I have. Back in the late 70's when my brother owned my 72. My Mom, a friend, and me in the back of the 40 driving up Aspen Mountains' access trail. The next day my Mom had to go see the Chiropractor and had a sore back for a week or more. Sitting sideways, always being force to the rear of the vehicle and bouncing all over the place. We were constantly fighting to stay in the seats. The ride would have really sucked if we kept hitting our heads against the roll bar.

What roll bar is that?
It’s custom that allows the proper long jump seats.

I don’t hate it.

That looks identical to the one that came in my '69. Armrests also cut off on mine. It was dealer installed in CO. Must have been a kit. I got an installation sheet that was tucked into the owners manual, pretty cool.

This is the only pic I have from when I first brought it home and prior to removal to reupholster the seats.

i-SnrBHNH-L.jpg

I think the whole deal was done at Proffitt back in the day.

OEM power steering
Bucket seats
Shackle reversal
OEM looking roll bar

It’s their early “formula”

Aight. A little Belt Tech …..

As stated before, this PS setup, while I love the passenger side mounted Toyota pump, there is one issue with the 73 F155 in that the harmonic balancer has one wide groove and one narrow groove on the front.

People have a tendency to run the belt that fits the smaller groove and then let the belt just ride the center of the wider water pump pulley and PS pulley.

I’ve seen this often with Saginaw. Thin harmonic. Thin Saginaw. Fat water pump.

These setups always have squealing belts.

Why?

Well, V belts are designed to run on the V sides of the belts and never on the bottom of the belt itself.

If you have a squawking belt and it’s tight, dollars to donuts you will notice one of your pulleys valleys is polished. If it’s polished it’s usually the squeaker.

(I’m normally an OEM belt homer but in this case nothing OEM fit so bear with me)

The belt that finally worked was a 22550

That 22 is the width of a OEM 40 belt. The 550 is that it is 55” long. I probably could have done 22555 or 22560. It’s at the very beginning of the adjustment on the bar.
0965D811-1C5D-4179-B7B4-822DC1F691DC.jpeg

Here you can look and see the wider belt is working on the sides in the narrow grooved harmonic balancer
D274D23B-6268-4A0B-8AFB-F7883C05112D.jpeg

In this photo you can see how polished the water pump pulley is from the narrow belt
2F8AA79E-9A45-42BB-B6DC-E4FF62D1F716.jpeg

The only thing I had to trim was a small amount of the fan shroud. The belt has a little flap in it and it was making a little metal noise

AA8F70CD-2DDE-4664-B440-16CFBB28809D.jpeg

@mattressking , I’m so impressed with your clutch cover tech ….

What vehicle did this Passenger side OEM Power Steering pump bracket Come from?

F492E151-98D3-45C6-BA7D-151DBB22928E.jpeg

That's a 3FE PS pump/bracket. I like to use that and the 3FE crank pulley/ WP pulley and the 22555 belt when putting PS on 2F's with canister air cleaners.

That's a 3FE PS pump/bracket. I like to use that and the 3FE crank pulley/ WP pulley and the 22555 belt when putting PS on 2F's with canister air cleaners.

Yeah. Great way to add PS and keep your cool air filter

As stated before, this PS setup, while I love the passenger side mounted Toyota pump, there is one issue with the 73 F155 in that the harmonic balancer has one wide groove and one narrow groove on the front.

People have a tendency to run the belt that fits the smaller groove and then let the belt just ride the center of the wider water pump pulley and PS pulley.

I’ve seen this often with Saginaw. Thin harmonic. Thin Saginaw. Fat water pump.

These setups always have squealing belts.

Why?

Well, V belts are designed to run on the V sides of the belts and never on the bottom of the belt itself.

If you have a squawking belt and it’s tight, dollars to donuts you will notice one of your pulleys valleys is polished. If it’s polished it’s usually the squeaker.

(I’m normally an OEM belt homer but in this case nothing OEM fit so bear with me)

The belt that finally worked was a 22550

That 22 is the width of a OEM 40 belt. The 550 is that it is 55” long. I probably could have done 22555 or 22560. It’s at the very beginning of the adjustment on the bar.
View attachment 3211116

Here you can look and see the wider belt is working on the sides in the narrow grooved harmonic balancer
View attachment 3211114
In this photo you can see how polished the water pump pulley is from the narrow belt
View attachment 3211113
The only thing I had to trim was a small amount of the fan shroud. The belt has a little flap in it and it was making a little metal noise

View attachment 3211122
Great tech, and thank you. Could you put a 2F harmonic balancer on it, with the 2 wider grooves? That's what I'm considering for my F.5 but not sure if it's a plug and play fit.

This thing is going home.

In summary…..

Valley Hybrids 4speed and case with all the stuff to make it talk to an F motor

Dobinsons IMS and shackle reversal removal

New driveshafts

Flip Kit

Battery system redo

Lots of little stuff. Parts were about $10,000 (edit)

Labor. 50 hours.

This thing is great. Damn good money spent.

2EB759F7-F86A-48F1-9DE8-294F16016D7F.jpeg

799581C6-7B90-493E-B984-EDB2F7FC6745.jpeg

8A6FDB8B-D325-4CC6-99AE-AD9685BA3099.jpeg

Last edited:
Great tech, and thank you. Could you put a 2F harmonic balancer on it, with the 2 wider grooves? That's what I'm considering for my F.5 but not sure if it's a plug and play fit.

Yep. Easy.

Interesting, my F.5 has a narrow outer groove on both the harmonic balancer and the water pump. Someone must have modified the pulleys on TX tan.
More info on it here:

Yeah. This one was likely changed at some point. This truck has a fan clutch on it and I’m pretty sure that’s not F155 stock.

My tech is simply, wider is better. Polished pulleys squeak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom