Terrain Tamer Parabolic Springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The leaf pack on this pic will hit every rock and stump on trail riding, good for overlanding or street use
Look at the image of the set I just posted. No overload leaves on this one.

I got an answer quickly. The parabolic spring kit I received can be ordered directly from Terrain Tamer in Australia. At the current (very favorable) exchange rate, the full kit—springs, shocks, steering damper, bushings, and shackles—would be about $1,625 U.S. Shipping, of course, would be extra, but quick via DHL. You can also order just the springs.

I, um, can't say because I don't know. This set was sent to me for testing and review. I'll ask for a price and source for NA customers.
Are you able to compare them to ome springs that have spacers and anti-friction pads in your review?

Are you able to compare them to ome springs that have spacers and anti-friction pads in your review?
Yes, I can. I have an Old Man Emu suspension on the vehicle now (which is excellent). I will compare spring weights, compliance, ride comfort on road, ride height, everything possible.

Yes, I can. I have an Old Man Emu suspension on the vehicle now (which is excellent). I will compare spring weights, compliance, ride comfort on road, ride height, everything possible.
How did your ome setup handle potholes and railroad tracks?

How did your ome setup handle potholes and railroad tracks?
Much, much better than the stock springs or the Rancho springs I had on for a time. As long as you treat the OME anti-friction pads as serviceable (grease) and replaceable components, they definitely increase compliance over road irregularities. And having a choice of spring capacity helps as well, so you don't have to overspring for your usual load.

The parabolics, of course, should be in a different league due to the near-complete lack of interleaf friction and true progressive action.

The article I mentioned is here. It explains a lot.

Last edited:
Much, much better than the stock springs or the Rancho springs I had on for a time. As long as you treat the OME anti-friction pads as serviceable (grease) and replaceable components, they definitely increase compliance over road irregularities. And having a choice of spring capacity helps as well, so you don't have to overspring for your usual load.

The parabolics, of course, should be in a different league due to the near-complete lack of interleaf friction and true progressive action.

The article I mentioned is here. It explains a lot.
I read your article and I'm excited for your follow up. Did you have the medium load ome springs? Also, how did they handle washboard roads? I think that is where the parabolics will really shine since they are lighter weight. Unless the dampers fade over the washboards.

I'm also thinking of swapping the poly bushings for more compliant rubber bushings.

I read your article and I'm excited for your follow up. Did you have the medium load ome springs? Also, how did they handle washboard roads? I think that is where the parabolics will really shine since they are lighter weight. Unless the dampers fade over the washboards.

I'm also thinking of swapping the poly bushings for more compliant rubber bushings.
I'm totally with you on rubber bushings; I wish more manufacturers would offer them as an alternative. They absorb minor vibrations much better than polyurethane bushings, even if they do not last as long.

Yes, I have the medium OME setup on the 40 right now. Again, it handles washboard much better than the stock springs, but of course nowhere near as well as coils. The parabolics should be pretty close to coils in that department. Dampers for parabolics do need to be a bit firmer and more resistant to fade, since they have more work to do than dampers on standard leaf springs with a lot of internal friction.

Something closer to the ride quality of coil springs while retaining the simple and durable nature of leaf springs sounds like an absolute win. If people end up liking this, I'll be keeping my eyes out for a MWB kit with little to no lift.

Last edited:
Something closer to the ride quality of coil springs while retaining the simple and durable nature of leaf springs sounds like an absolute win. If people end up liking this, I'll be keeping my eyes out for a MWB kit with little to no lift.
I wonder if we could get some sort of bulk shipping discount if enough people signed up.

Where would they go though?
I’d be interested in some springs possibly.

Ian

Where would they go though?
I’d be interested in some springs possibly.

Ian
Generally they go between the axles and the chassis.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not sure what you mean? They're shipped directly to you, but if several sets shipped at once it might reduce freight costs across the Pacific.

Generally they go between the axles and the chassis.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not sure what you mean? They're shipped directly to you, but if several sets shipped at once it might reduce freight costs across the Pacific.
I guess that’s my point. From where would they ship once landing in the US? Surely that’s an extra step? I’m genuinely curious and not being obtuse.
If they come in a container, then some party would need to sort and further on, yes?

I’m quite happy with the Dobisons on my 62, unless these are some magic bullet and/or equivalent in price after all things are done, then I’ll probably hit up @TRAIL TAILOR again and go Dobi.

Ian

Of course these come out 4 months after I put all new ProComp springs with the kit from RedLine on my 40. :bang:

@Jonathan Hanson, in your review, would you be able to include ride and performance with no hard top? I run a bikini top 90% of the year and even the "soft" ProComp springs are too stiff in the rear without the weight of the top. Just not enough shackle angle, and virtually zero down travel.

Also, are you reviewing a stock height kit, or +50mm lift? I'd be going for the lifted version if (when???) I purchase.

Thanks!

Of course these come out 4 months after I put all new ProComp springs with the kit from RedLine on my 40. :bang:

@Jonathan Hanson, in your review, would you be able to include ride and performance with no hard top? I run a bikini top 90% of the year and even the "soft" ProComp springs are too stiff in the rear without the weight of the top. Just not enough shackle angle, and virtually zero down travel.

Also, are you reviewing a stock height kit, or +50mm lift? I'd be going for the lifted version if (when???) I purchase.

Thanks!
These guys are the US based distributor for Terrain Tamer:

Who knows, maybe with enough buyers they could end up stocking these springs.

Thanks!
I'm not taking off the hard top unless you want to come by and help! I am reviewing the kit that provides 50mm of lift, equivalent to the OME on the 40 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom