Terrain Tamer Parabolic Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am following this thread very closely and many thanks @Jonathan Hanson ( I also signed up to your newsletter I believe over at your blog once you’ve had more time with that suspension kit.)

I’m curious… Do you think terrain tamer will ship to the US? I reached out to them this morning to see but wasn’t sure. It seems like a couple of the vendors here are trying to be US distributors but not 100% sure and haven’t gotten any response back from them.

I know shipping can be high from AUS to USA, but I have had parts shipped from there, and it all usually works out regardless.

I am following this thread very closely and many thanks @Jonathan Hanson ( I also signed up to your newsletter I believe over at your blog once you’ve had more time with that suspension kit.)

I’m curious… Do you think terrain tamer will ship to the US? I reached out to them this morning to see but wasn’t sure. It seems like a couple of the vendors here are trying to be US distributors but not 100% sure and haven’t gotten any response back from them.

I know shipping can be high from AUS to USA, but I have had parts shipped from there, and it all usually works out regardless.
Thanks for signing up!

Yes, Terrain Tamer ships directly to the U.S. You can order from their Australian website and have it delivered to your address. Obviously DHL shipping is pretty expensive (but fast!); however, the exchange rate is so favorable right now that the parabolic kit is a good deal even compared with standard kits available directly in the U.S.

Thanks for signing up!

Yes, Terrain Tamer ships directly to the U.S. You can order from their Australian website and have it delivered to your address. Obviously DHL shipping is pretty expensive (but fast!); however, the exchange rate is so favorable right now that the parabolic kit is a good deal even compared with standard kits available directly in the U.S.
Many thanks. I emailed them this AM - may already be after business hours now for them. I wonder how much shipping would be...I would imagine they have already shipped some to the USA for residential delivery. I'll post here once they respond.

Not sure if you know @Jonathan Hanson - Any idea on the quality of the TT shocks as it compares to say OME, Bilsteins, etc?

Many thanks. I emailed them this AM - may already be after business hours now for them. I wonder how much shipping would be...I would imagine they have already shipped some to the USA for residential delivery. I'll post here once they respond.

Not sure if you know @Jonathan Hanson - Any idea on the quality of the TT shocks as it compares to say OME, Bilsteins, etc?
In terms of personal experience with TT shocks . . . no. Everything I have heard from friends in Oz indicates they are on a level with OME.

The kit they sent me was shipped to my personal address via DHL.

In terms of personal experience with TT shocks . . . no. Everything I have heard from friends in Oz indicates they are on a level with OME.

The kit they sent me was shipped to my personal address via DHL.
Question.....if one has recently installed a complete new suspension kit, including Bilstein 5100 shocks.......:rolleyes: would those be suitable for the parabolic springs. They certainly felt like they had rather stiff damping.

Does this all feel like deja vu to anyone else?

Certainly. However, many things have changed in the last 20 years. Values of 40-Series vehicles have shot skyward, with the result that more are being restored or just properly maintained. So the market for accessories and modifications is exponentially larger. Also, Terrain Tamer is a well-established and well-backed company, with far better resources available to introduce a product like this. Plus they're been selling parabolic springs for other vehicles for some time now.

Question.....if one has recently installed a complete new suspension kit, including Bilstein 5100 shocks.......:rolleyes: would those be suitable for the parabolic springs. They certainly felt like they had rather stiff damping.
Bilsteins are definitely on the stiff (i.e. "sporty") side of damping. Since parabolics generally benefit from slightly firmer damping, I suspect they'd work just fine.

The deja vu this is why im interested. I have a set of the tic parabolics, the set chef had that were referenced in the other thread were too short. I sorta ended up with 2 sets to make one out of, Chefs and my own set we imported. I'm watching cause the tic's are damaged and will prob fail. Parabolics ride way better than stacked leafs when combined with real shocks.

The deja vu this is why im interested. I have a set of the tic parabolics, the set chef had that were referenced in the other thread were too short. I sorta ended up with 2 sets to make one out of, Chefs and my own set we imported. I'm watching cause the tic's are damaged and will prob fail. Parabolics ride way better than stacked leafs when combined with real shocks.
What would you qualify as “real shocks”?
Genuinely curious.
Thanks,
Ian

What would you qualify as “real shocks”?
Genuinely curious.
Thanks,
Ian
It’s interesting, I was reading a rover forum since these springs are not uncommon on rovers. Some of the comments said you need high quality shocks because the springs flex more easily than normal leaf springs so the shocks have to work more.

It’s interesting, I was reading a rover forum since these springs are not uncommon on rovers. Some of the comments said you need high quality shocks because the springs flex more easily than normal leaf springs so the shocks have to work more.
Yes. It's both the lack of interleaf friction and the reduced internal friction of parabolic springs that benefit from a slightly firmer shock.

Yes. It's both the lack of interleaf friction and the reduced internal friction of parabolic springs that benefit from a slightly firmer shock.
So….

What are some suggestions for shocks with these?

Thanks for all the leg work, we’re making you pay for your free springs 😉

I am currently running soft valved bilsteins. Tried a set of emus and way too stiff. I would not hesitate to get a set of these springs and probably will later. I just need to put miles on the 45 before I justify any other expenses on it. I have a set of despringed ome springs on the other 45. And the parabolics ride better. Fwiw.

So….

What are some suggestions for shocks with these?

Thanks for all the leg work, we’re making you pay for your free springs 😉
Ha! That's my job.

We can assume Terrain Tamer valves their own twin-tube, nitrogen-charged shocks accordingly. The above-mentioned Rancho 9000s, with (rebound only I think?) adjustability. The ultimate might be the OME BP51 internal-bypass shock, with both rebound and compression adjustment. But last I knew there was no 40-series application.

@orangefj45 any plan on stocking these for US customers?
Don't know if Orange45 runs Cruiser Brothers or not but Cruiser Brothers seems to be entertaining the idea of stocking these. If people signed up, I bet it could be a reality. Also, the 40 Channel came out with this review. Not exactly how a 40 will ride but very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom