Talk me out of buying UTV tires for my FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed a pretty decent selection of super aggressive UTV tires in 9 and 10 in width for 15" rims. I'm looking at some 35x10x15's for my FJ40. Some are 8 ply and others are 10 ply but I don't see any weight ratings. Anybody have any experience running UTV tires? I've seen some mention of it on Jeep and Samurai forums. I run BFG KM3's 33x10.5x15 on my stock steelies with hub caps for street / light offroad, but wanting to try to squeeze some 35's on a spare set of late model FJ40 wagon wheels/FJ60 wheels that are 6" wide.

are they rated for highway use?
the weight rating will also be important as a Landcruiser weighs abit more than a Samurai.

We put 33" hard compount Tensor (owned by Method Wheels) on a Can Am X3. We had two flat tires within the first month from normal driving in the desert due to sidewall punctures. Both punctures were small thorns that would not stand a chance against a typical truck tire. We were very disappointed, especially for the cost of them. If you happen to do this, I would avoid Tensors.

SxS/UTV tires are not highway rated, so if they blow up and you wreck, you would probably be liable. Maybe for a trail only truck.

I considered it too since Toyo makes a nice MT for UTV's in a 32x9.50-15, which would be perfect. But no dice since they would likely void insurance.

Might be fine. Probably saving on cost by not certifying them. Anything that aggressive shouldn't see much highway anyway.

Years ago I was eyeing this set of bobcat (skid steer) tires wondering if I could get them on the wheels of my F250...

Those were about 33" tall, and listed with a 16.5" rim, dunno it it really would have fit though.

I'm sure the load rating would've had me covered, at least without towing / hauling.

But something like that would have to be off road only. And under certain speeds (speed generates heat in tires).

And I have no idea where you would find these in the right size (maybe on amazon?):
Amazon product ASIN B005O5V8DE
But we put a pair on the back of the lawn mower last year to replace the turf saver tires that wouldn't go up a 2% grade. That thing goes freaking anywhere now. It's a little bumpy crossing the driveway, but hey, everything's a compromise one way or the other...

This is your only 35x10.5x15 option. There are a few running th we m if you look in the tire section “tall skinny”

I think Super Swamper still makes a Q78 size which will work also

No bueno, very soft tires, go with the TSL Super Swampers which I think are load rated E.

only 33"'s...

And I'm pretty sure they'd be off road only.

But the load rating should be fine.

I run 35-10.50x15 Swamper Boggers on stk FJ40 wheels which are 15x 5 1/2" wide. The Boggers dimensions are short, they are between 33-34" tall. The side walls are stiff. I have to run about 15+psi to keep the bead on the rim. These days they are an expensive choice. They'll walk thru just about anything. Bias plys are going to be your most aggressive. Another choice would be 35-10.50X15 Accelera Badak Extreme, they are similar to the Bogger but considerably less expensive . They'll probably be my next tire purchase or I might go back to a 35" or 36" 12.50x15 .

Did anyone ever try this? I’m hoping to pickup a second set of rims (beadlocks) for trail use only and I wouldn’t need the speed rating. The weight rating does worry me though, as these would be flexed a fair bit on rocks.
Paging @Land Cruiser Junky

Did anyone ever try this? I’m hoping to pickup a second set of rims (beadlocks) for trail use only and I wouldn’t need the speed rating. The weight rating does worry me though, as these would be flexed a fair bit on rocks.
These are great tires. Have them on my X3. They have a DOT rating but it says "UTV use only" on them. Anyway, they claim an LT construction, 8 ply, true radial, 990 lb @ 15psi. Since my X3 is like 1900 with riders, I run them at 8 psi on bead locks. Been up to about 70 MPH on them. Might be okay on a 40 if it wasn't overloaded with crap. For off-road application only. They make them in 34s, but they're not cheap.

Why are you considering this versus buying off-road truck tires? What is the perceived advantage of a UTV tire? I would agree with others statements that they likely have much softer tread compounds. I was touching some Maxxis Rockzilla 35's this weekend, and they are very, very soft. Other than that, I don't see any benefit, the larger UTV tires are just as, or more expensive than similarly sized truck tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom