So are there any TRD Superchargers left? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It doesn't have to be. Why would it?

If you're making the same amount of power with a turbo as you are with the SC why would you need new; injectors, fuel rails, regulators and pumps?

If you're coming from the JDM sports car world the reason you are seeing it that way is those people are looking for 2-3x more power than stock. A TRD SC maybe sees an extra 60-70hp.

You're absolutely right. Again, being from the JDM sports car world, where aftermarket turbos are everywhere, it's a HUGE can of worms, unless it's a COMPLETE bolt-on kit, from start to finish, with ALL parts included. And even then, you're talking about making sure you have a properly sized turbo, appropriate fuel supply (injectors, rail, lines, regulator, pump, etc), as well as a tune. So it's everything in a supercharger kit plus a lot more parts/variables to boot.

So although I understand turbos, NLXTACY, I'm with you; there are no good alternatives that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be. Why would it?

If you're making the same amount of power with a turbo as you are with the SC why would you need new, injectors, fuel rails, regulators and pumps?

If you're coming from the JDM sports car world the reason you are seeing it that way is those people are looking for 2-3x more power than stock. A TRD SC maybe sees an extra 60-70hp.
You're absolutely right. Because typically ppl go S/C to get good low end/midrange power, not a dyno monster/street racer.

For GOBS of power, you go turbo. Or at least, you easily have the potential for a lot more power, depending on how you size the turbo (which, as you go bigger, means more lag and less low-end power). And that type of power means upgrading all the other components that'll be needed to support the additional airflow.

Also, most of these turbo KITS (JDM cars) come with bolt-on manifolds, so you're not spending tons of money fabricating it.

So to me, if there's a complete kit (TRD or Sprintex), that'll get me the modest power I'm looking for (hopefully close to 100 more hp, after S/C, IC, full exhaust ie headers to catback), and it's bolt-on, that's the way I'd go.

S/C or Turbo has no real bearing on low end/midrange or dyno monster/street racer. That is all compressor size.

Here are some dyno monster with Superchargers

And reversely you can have low end with a turbo

All you have to do is size the compressor properly doesn't matter if it is Turbo or SC. It just has to match your wants/needs.

There are a couple bolt-on turbo manifolds already. Treadstone has one that is nice.

Sprintex is crap, and TRD is too. It is old technology the TRD is not even supported any longer, low efficiency and does nothing to address high intake temps, but yeah it is easy, and you are not going to get an extra 100hp, the compressor map won't support it. Unless you go smaller pulley and then you run into other problems. Not to mention there is no bolt on IC.

Again if you are looking at doing a SC at least look to get people together and get the new blowers and build a good system.

Last edited:
Yes I understand your point, but I think its a fair generalized statement to say that superchargers are *typically* used for low end and midrange power, and turbochargers are *typically* used for significantly higher HP numbers, ie midrange and high end power. That's the general trend.

If it were up to me, I'd get a Rotrex unit. It's newer technology, much more efficient, and I've seen nothing but great results on the many varied applications I've seen using them. But putting together a kit from scratch isn't an easy undertaking. And I'd bet it would be VERY hard to take the TRD and/or Sprintex kit (accessory parts of the kit itself) and modify it to accept a Rotrex unit. I'm sure it would end up being a LOT more involved, REALLY quickly.

So to me, if there's a complete kit (TRD or Sprintex), that'll get me the modest power I'm looking for (hopefully close to 100 more hp, after S/C, IC, full exhaust ie headers to catback), and it's bolt-on, that's the way I'd go.

If you are going IC, full exhaust, headers and want 100hp... you might as well go turbo, you're changing everything you would for turbo anyway.
If you're going for comparable boost-- boost is boost.
If the SC doesn't need engine tuning, neither will a turbo.

If I were in the position today to do forced induction, it would be turbo all the way.

I am not sure that's fair to generalize at all. Do you mean on the 80 platform or in general? on the 80 platform there aren't enough turbo trucks to make that statement. I put my turbo truck up against the TRD SC at any rpm you want and in general I know a lot of huge 2500+hp drag cars running prochargers. The trend to huge power turbo drag cars just started happening. If you want to say in the JDM world the trend is turbo's for big power I will give you that but that's just a small slice of automotive FI.

You would be wasting your time trying to use any parts from the TRD or Sprintex kits. If you're from the JDM world how far has the Supra/Honda/Nissan world come in the last 15 years? Are they still using the same equipment or electronics? Hell even on my two GTR's I have seen huge changes from my 2009 that was tuned in 2011 and now! Remember the TRD system was a simple stop gap to satisfy customers until the 2UZ came out. Toyota doesn't really get into providing for enthusiasts it just wants happy repeat customers buying new cars.

Yes I understand your point, but I think its a fair generalized statement to say that superchargers are *typically* used for low end and midrange power, and turbochargers are *typically* used for significantly higher HP numbers, ie midrange and high end power. That's the general trend.

If it were up to me, I'd get a Rotrex unit. It's newer technology, much more efficient, and I've seen nothing but great results on the many varied applications I've seen using them. But putting together a kit from scratch isn't an easy undertaking. And I'd bet it would be VERY hard to take the TRD and/or Sprintex kit (accessory parts of the kit itself) and modify it to accept a Rotrex unit. I'm sure it would end up being a LOT more involved, REALLY quickly.

Last edited:
If you are going IC, full exhaust, headers and want 100hp... you might as well go turbo, you're changing everything you would for turbo anyway.
If you're going for comparable boost-- boost is boost.
If the SC doesn't need engine tuning, neither will a turbo.
I'm not following. S/C kit, piping for an air-cooled top mount IC, and full exhaust. Sure there's labor in install, but the motor would be out getting an R&R anyway. So no wasted time/money in custom making a manifold, etc.

I am not sure that's fair to generalize at all. Do you mean on the 80 platform or in general? on the 80 platform there arent enough turbo trucks to make that statement. I put my turbo truck up against the TRD SC at any rpm you want and in general I know a lot of huge 2500+hp drag cars running prochargers. The trend to huge power turbo drag cars just started happening. If you want to say in the JDM world the trend is turbo's for big power I will give you that but that's just a small slice of automotive FI.
Agreed, but yes I was referring to the JDM aftermarket world. Not 80s only, and certainly not all FI.

You would be wasting your time trying to use any parts from the TRD or Sprintex kits. If you're from the JDM world how far has the Supra/Honda/Nissan world come in the last 15 years? Are they still using the same equipment or electronics? Hell even on my two GTR's I have seen a huge change from my 2009 that was tuned in 2011 and now! Remember the TRD system was a simple stop gap to satisfy customers until the 2UZ came out. Toyota doesn't really get into providing for enthusiasts it just wants happy repeat customers buying new cars.
Yea I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s you had a glovebox full of different controllers LOL. Then came the era of full programmable standalones, and EVERYTHING changed.

So I hear you. My main issue is, I'm not looking for the best & greatest. I think my goals/aspirations for the 80 are modest. I wanna pull it outta the 90s and into the 2000s with good low end pickup. Stop being a slouch, and struggling to keep up with traffic that's easing on the gas. And it seems like the S/C, although not the best option available, may be the simplest, quickest, and most straightforward answer to what I'm looking for. No guesswork, no fabricating, no trial & error. Just simple, tried & true. Not being stubborn; just my perspective. I'm all ears if you have alternatives for those modest goals (not 400+ hp), cuz I simply don't see taking the truck to a fab shop with a Rotrex unit (or a properly sized turbo, for that matter) being anything but a huge $$$$$ undertaking. REAL fast.

Yeah I guess we are just looking at it differently.

The TRD SC is no more it doesn't exist. The proposal is to get 10-20 people to pony up $5k to try and talk an industry giant to bother with it, and if they do, the 10-20 people that invested end up with non supported 15 year old technology.

I am just saying if there really is 20 people willing to pony up $5k, you could have a better system in the end and one that has actually advanced with technology in the last decade and a half.

I personally do not see more than 5-6 people really stepping up with cash so this will die on the vine but if there really were 20 people and I was one of them I would want something that worked the best and if I had a problem with it and I called to get the SC or Turbo fixed I wouldn't be told to pound sand.

Different viewpoints for everyone I suppose.

Isn't there a toyota v8 that mates up to the 80 trans? Problem solved. Or a toyota v8/ and trans that can be swapped in?
Any swap that isn't a factory swap (comes with plug 'n play full wiring harness & ECU) is a HEADACHE. You spend tons of time with the electrical nightmare that results from it.

Now can someone just put together a small turbo kit and call it a day?
I know right?! I have a spare 1fzfe sitting in the garage awaiting a rebuild and turbo :)

I am not in a position to take this on but you can get almost everything to bolt a system together with the exception of the intake (from the stock airbox MAF to the turbo inlet), the charge pipe (from the turbo outlet to the TB) and the downpipe (from the turbo to the stock exhaust) Any decent shop or exhaust shop could do that for you.

If I was building a BUDGET system to mimic the TRD SC that is; low boost, approx 60-90hp increase, no intercooler etc this is what I would do.

Remove stock manifold and y-pipe and bolt on the
Treadstone cast manifold with T4 flange and wastegate flange built in - $419
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...name=Toyota+Land+Cruiser+1fzfe+Turbo+Manifold

Then bolt-on a
BorgWarner S300SX 8375 Turbo S360. - $848
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-airwerks/borgwarner-s300sx-83-75-turbo.html

Then bolt-on a
Tial 38mm Wastegate - $239 Get the 6psi spring
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=453&cat_key=157&prodname=Tial+38mm+Wastegate

Have an intake tube made from the turbo to the stock air box, weld on the provided flange and bolt-on a
Tial Blow Off Valve - $259
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...9&cat_key=3333&prodname=Tial+Q+Blow+Off+Valve

This is kind of tough but remove the lower oil pan and bolt-on the
Treadstone turbo oil supply and drain kit - $105
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=67759&cat_key=614&prodname=Turbo+Universal+Oil+Supply+and+Drain+Kit,+Pro

Bolt-on a
Downpipe V-band flange and v-band to connect to back of turbo - $63
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=69196&cat_key=662&prodname=Treadstone+S200SX/S300SX3+V-Band+Downpipe+Flange+V42350

Add the
Silicon Coupler to attach MAF to Intake tube - ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach Intake tube to Turbo - ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach Turbo outlet to charge pipe ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach charge pipe to TB - ~$8

tighten the bolts on the
4 Worm drive clamps - $10 (2) for the MAF to Turbo inlet, (2) for the turbo outlet to TB
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=67769&cat_key=612&prodname=Worm+drive+Clamps

So this is $1985 and mostly "Bolt-on" ;)

All you would have to do is bolt this on, and have someone fabricate the Intake pipe, the charge pipe and downpipe. And you are done. You can swap the Wastegate spring between 6 and 7.5psi of boost to see how everything lines up, the turbo is very undertaxed so intake temps will be fairly low. Again this is not my all out performance build, but this is all very high quality, there are no Chinese crap parts like in the CXRacing kit. This is going to put you almost identical with the TRD SC'r but it will also have some of the same issues those guys can see on really hot 100+ summer days with high intake temps, because neither setup has any kind of Intercooler but the TRD guys have been handling this with meth injection, after the fact intercoolers or higher octane fuels.

Last edited:
Will be curious to see what they get back to you with. It says
  • Manufactured by: *CruiserParts*
But that is clearly a left hand drive truck and it is not a US 1FZFE configuration.

Simple things like the intake manifold, rad filler, over flow, battery placement, brake master and booster, etc are all different from US 80's

Will be curious to see what they get back to you with. It says
  • Manufactured by: *CruiserParts*
But that is clearly a left hand drive truck and it is not a US 1FZFE configuration.

Simple things like the intake manifold, rad filler, over flow, battery placement, brake master and booster, etc are all different from US 80's
Why do you have to be such a party pooper! LOL

Last edited:
I am not in a position to take this on but you can get almost everything to bolt a system together with the exception of the intake (from the stock airbox MAF to the turbo inlet), the charge pipe (from the turbo outlet to the TB) and the downpipe (from the turbo to the stock exhaust) Any decent shop or exhaust shop could do that for you.

If I was building a BUDGET system to mimic the TRD SC that is; low boost, approx 60-90hp increase, no intercooler etc this is what I would do.

Remove stock manifold and y-pipe and bolt on the
Treadstone cast manifold with T4 flange and wastegate flange built in - $419
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...name=Toyota+Land+Cruiser+1fzfe+Turbo+Manifold

Then bolt-on a
Borg Warner S200SX 770 Turbo, T4 single scroll, WITH V-Band flange. - $848
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-airwerks/borgwarner-s200sx-7670-turbo.html

Then bolt-on a
Tial 38mm Wastegate - $239 Get both the 6psi and 7.5psi spring
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=453&cat_key=157&prodname=Tial+38mm+Wastegate

Have an intake tube made from the turbo to the stock air box, weld on the provided flange and bolt-on a
Tial Blow Off Valve - $259
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...9&cat_key=3333&prodname=Tial+Q+Blow+Off+Valve

This is kind of tough but remove the lower oil pan and bolt-on the
Treadstone turbo oil supply and drain kit - $105
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=67759&cat_key=614&prodname=Turbo+Universal+Oil+Supply+and+Drain+Kit,+Pro

Bolt-on a
Downpipe V-band flange and v-band to connect to back of turbo - $63
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=69196&cat_key=662&prodname=Treadstone+S200SX/S300SX3+V-Band+Downpipe+Flange+V42350

Add the
Silicon Coupler to attach MAF to Intake tube - ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach Intake tube to Turbo - ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach Turbo outlet to charge pipe ~$8
Silicon Coupler to attach charge pipe to TB - ~$8

tighten the bolts on the
4 Worm drive clamps - $10 (2) for the MAF to Turbo inlet, (2) for the turbo outlet to TB
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=67769&cat_key=612&prodname=Worm+drive+Clamps

So this is $1985 and mostly "Bolt-on" ;)

All you would have to do is bolt this on, and have someone fabricate the Intake pipe, the charge pipe and downpipe. And you are done. You can swap the Wastegate spring between 6 and 7.5psi of boost to see how everything lines up, the turbo is very undertaxed so intake temps will be fairly low. Again this is not my all out performance build, but this is all very high quality, there are no Chinese crap parts like in the CXRacing kit. This is going to put you almost identical with the TRD SC'r but it will also have some of the same issues those guys can see on really hot 100+ summer days with high intake temps, because neither setup has any kind of Intercooler but the TRD guys have been handling this with meth injection, after the fact intercoolers or higher octane fuels.

Awesome! Now do that for the 3f-e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom