SAS SAS #6 Official Thread Aug 1 - 5 2022 (3 Viewers)

SAS #6 Colors for Shirts and Trail Flags

• • Capri Blue

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • • Freeborn Red

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maureen unexpectedly had to go out of town. New plan as Follows:

A) I will still leave Ca. Friday 7/29. Drive to & overnight in Salina, Ut.
B) Saturday 7/30 Maureen will board a plane in Houston & fly to Grand Junction, Co.
C) Our planned route has me driving thru Grand Junction anyway. Will pick her up for the roughly 2 hour drive to Ouray KOA.

Today replaced the bottom radiator hose, added coolant AND burped the system of air. A job I hate. Just returned from a test run.

Triple digits here today. 13 mile hill with 6% to 8% grades. Almost the entire way 2nd gear. PASSED THE TEST.😅🎯😅
Stop and say hi

Getting ready to start our journey too Ouray Colorado from here in Southern Ca. Leaving Friday after my girls Dr. Appointment. Had a slight set back this weekend went MTB riding and my girl fell crossing a stream and fell and fractured her wrist.
All is good but now just taking one bike instead of two.
She is a trooper and we are staying the course to SAS#6
Looking forward to seeing you all.

Getting ready to start our journey too Ouray Colorado from here in Southern Ca. Leaving Friday after my girls Dr. Appointment. Had a slight set back this weekend went MTB riding and my girl fell crossing a stream and fell and fractured her wrist.
All is good but now just taking one bike instead of two.
She is a trooper and we are staying the course to SAS#6
Looking forward to seeing you all.
I'm glad she's going to be alright!
Maybe we will see you enroute well be heading out Friday going up the 15 first stop Hurricane Utah for the night. ;)

Keep a eye out for a green 80, Sassy the cattle dog well be along for the ride.
1658781715233.png

Last edited:
Would love to. I’ve got about a 3 hr drive from Salina, Ut. & will be leaving early in the am On Saturday 7/30. We are not yet certain exactly what time she will arrive in Grand Junction. Her situation in Houston is still fluid.

Say for example I get there early & she lands late in the day I can swim by before she lands. If she lands late then I will head straight to KOA & start setting up camp.

Have not yet discussed any of this with @Jason hansen , maybe we can coordinate and both stop by.

@ajax1 please give me your contact info in case we can make it…would love to stop by. Put your info here or in a PM, either way.🎯
Stop and say hi

I glad she going to be alright!
Maybe we will see you enroute well be heading out Friday going up the 15 first stop Hurricane Utah for the night. ;)

Keep a eye out for a green 80, Sassy the cattle dog well be along for the ride.
View attachment 3068917
Yes Thankful she is going to be alright. I will look out for you! we may need to stay overnight in Utah ourselves.
I may look into Hurricane as well. Im in a beige colored fj60 with my girl and my black dog (Stella).

I will probably head out Sunday night or Monday morning. My camp spot reservation is Monday.

Surely there’s folks that have done the trip from Austin to Amarillo before. Is there a preferred route for a 37 year old slow ass truck? Thinking about scenery, gas station frequency, places to pull off if you want to obsessively check your fluid levels…
Follow the Blue line and you’ll be good Ben. Have you connected with Nik? I believe he’s cutting out of Austin the same day.
BE850DA6-CE11-42A2-92CE-6F552228E59B.png

SAS6 is in jeopardy for Maureen & John McVicker.

Wheeling yesterday & lost 3 of 4 bolts on the rear U joint of the FRONT drive shaft. Heard the drive shaft flopping around, going slow so came to stop in 5-10 feet…BUT the drive shaft flopping around hit and broke a part on the T Case called ‘Front Drive Shift Fork Shaft’ per FSM with the arrow pointing to it In the 1st picture.

Do not have the time to source part, drop the t case, disassemble, install part, reassemble & reinstall the t case before my leave date of 7/29.

Once I get into 4H I can shift back and forth between 4H & 4Low, but with the broken shaft I can’t shift into 2H. So….fellow SAS3 attendee @2mountainfish, Jerry Fie has suggested the following remedy. I will try it later today… redneck but if it works I think we can make it to SAS6.

Here‘s the thought: Tap, tap, tap the broken shaft in & it should go into 2H. When I need 4wd I will get out, go under the truck & pull the shaft out with some vice grips. I can us the shift lever to go back & forth between 4H & 4Low all day. When the trail is over, get back under the truck & tap, tap back into 2H. Then I can do a proper repair after SAS6.

Quoting myself:
Need a part at SAS 6 if you happen to have this fork please let me know. Fork from T Case ‘86 FJ 60 T Case, that allows me to shift into 2wd. Quoting myself from post 621. Our redneck fix absolutely works and will get me to/from SAS 6 and by going under the truck to tap & pull from 2wd to 4wd. But in order to fix it for good I need to replace the fork I have pointed to in the attached picture from the FSM. This fork also got broken when the drive shaft hit it. Did not notice this at first.

Thanks, John
If you have this part pleas let me know…’maybe’ the guys can pick it up when they go to Classic Cruisers. But I thought I’d throw this out there also.

1BA68DD0-5B7B-4893-AC4F-7F835658C2AA.jpeg

F8820C15-C2F4-4D5C-9632-8C341008AD09.jpeg

I can probably grab on off a case in the yard. What year?;

Looking for some National Forest camping ideas from team SAS.

I’ve done some googling x onX mapping for my route between Bozeman Montana and Ouray. I didn’t reserve my site at the KOA for Sunday night, so trying to coordinate my drive down between here and there.

One thought: Leave Friday afternoon and drive 6 hours to SLC area. Find camping somewhere around there. Saturday go to CO around Ouray and camp Saturday and Sunday nights.

Thought Two: head through Wyoming. Friday night somewhere around Jackson Hole (any recommendations for dispersed camping around there?). Spend Saturday around WY. Head down Sunday to Ouray - camp somewhere close by to KOA so I can go on a ride with everyone Monday.

Coming with my son, who is almost 5.

Happy to also co-camp/caravan with anyone along the route.

Thanks for any suggestions !

A little prep for the trip.

Replaced my air filter with a brand new OEM FJ80 air filter, cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor and the Throttle body. Removed the roof top tent (2000 miles of not hauling it around for a week).

Testing out my fridge situation right now.

Getting pumped to have fun with everyone.

DEDEB3EC-0543-404C-A4EF-85641DB1693E.jpeg

4BC50C6E-0FFB-4453-839F-223E2BE4DF6E.jpeg

262393B6-CB49-408F-9926-C57D75FF1EAC.jpeg

98FD785E-C806-4943-B590-DE0EEC9186D9.jpeg

This reminds me @The Machinist I don’t remember if we’ve discussed it this year…but you are welcome in 47A👍🎯👍

Last edited:
Oh, I was not aware. Same offer for next year stands?

@hygge since Darrell is not attending this year you’re welcome to spend Sunday night @ 47A.

Ill be in Moab the 28’th to the 1’st and Ridgeway the 1’st to 5’th. In my HDJ81. If anybody wants to wheel shoot me a message.

I’ve done some googling x onX mapping for my route between Bozeman Montana and Ouray. I didn’t reserve my site at the KOA for Sunday night, so trying to coordinate my drive down between here and there.

One thought: Leave Friday afternoon and drive 6 hours to SLC area. Find camping somewhere around there. Saturday go to CO around Ouray and camp Saturday and Sunday nights.

Thought Two: head through Wyoming. Friday night somewhere around Jackson Hole (any recommendations for dispersed camping around there?). Spend Saturday around WY. Head down Sunday to Ouray - camp somewhere close by to KOA so I can go on a ride with everyone Monday.

Google Green River Lakes Trailhead. Just north of Pinedale. If you’re considering Jackson then The Winds are not much further down the road. Breathtaking place if you can make the stop.

Here’s a good spot near SLC -
39°55'46.3"N 111°12'12.9"W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom