Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bare tub sitting on your chassis is simply stunning Jesse.

I am really looking forward to seeing what is around the corner. Well Done!!

Thanks, Dave. I cant wait to get it to the point where you are with yours. We will have to sneak out for lunch once school starts again.

It will be at the painters for the trans tunnel, steering column fabrication and the AC evaporator install. The Chassis and Tub will be swapped for the rest of the body parts and I can get started on my end. Our painters definitely have a process and will not rush anything out. It is worth it to finally see their vision.

Earlier this summer, our sump pump failed and I had to clean up 4" of water in the basement. Luckily my wife helped me open every new part and make sure that there wasnt any water damage. We spent about 5 hours sorting and drying parts. It was a blessing in disguise as I got to refamiliarize myself with the madness to come and develope a game plan.

20180416_192111.jpg

Transmission tunnel fabrication is complete. @davework came through with the stainless hardware again.

We also ran into a little bit of a snag. I will be installing the upper door hinges before anything else goes into the tub. Our hinges have been matched to their locations and have had alot of work put into them. The rubber gasket on one finally gave up the ghost. Luckily we had a decent donor available. Zak, was able to successfully remove the rubber and graft it onto the 72's hinge.

transtunnl.jpg

boots.jpg

20180816_113843.jpg

d.jpg

1ax.jpg

Last edited:
Jesse, what has been changed on the tranny tunnel cover? Has it been raised up to clear the 4speed tranny?

The height was ok (barely). They moved the shifter hole back and adapted the transfer shifter hole to accept the 4 speed inner cover. Ill have to use a little thicker gasket if it gets insulated on the underside.

Yes, in my experience the 4spd tranny ends up touching the 3spd tunnel. Was wondering how yours was modded but still looked stock.
Nevermind! ;)

My 72 trans hump is same height as yours. I have a 74 or 77 hump thats taller. Floor is different on passenger side and 72 gas tank will not fit without lots of cutting on the hump.

My 72 trans hump is same height as yours. I have a 74 or 77 hump thats taller. Floor is different on passenger side and 72 gas tank will not fit without lots of cutting on the hump.

Thats why we stayed with the earlier hump. We had the 3 and 4 speed tunnels side by side but I didnt lay a tape on them to see exactly how much of a difference there was.

Now that the trans tunnel is fitted, we can focus on next steps. ( @TractorDoc do you notice anything familiar in the pic?) Today we dropped a few parts at the painters to get the steering column built and the AC evaporator mocked up.

We used an OEM FJ40 power steering housing and stuffed it with Minitruck guts. The original column and steering wheel will be used but need to be turned into a 2 piece column with a rag joint. JTO makes an adaptor for the inner steering column to accept a newer style rag joint. I havn't decided if we will be using a bushing or bearing to support the inner column at the end of the outer.

The AC evaporator is also being mocked up at the body shop because it requires some small modifications to the firewall.

FJ40dash supplied the lower dash pads. They look pretty nice, plus they bolt in.

boots2.jpg

20180823_103417.jpg

20170315_191413.jpg

20170202_211651.jpg

20180823_103229.jpg

Do I see some rust on that frame?

Oh, my bad, it was something on my screen, LOOKING GOOD!

Do I see some rust on that frame?

Oh, my bad, it was something on my screen, LOOKING GOOD!

Probably, from being the slowest build in history. Ive yet to drop anything at the platers, havn't had the kahunas to dissassemble everything and drop into a 5 gallon bucket yet.

I was able to spend the morning with the 40.

The Vintage Air kit is being mocked up. We are being creative and reducing the amount of holes that need to drilled. The knobs are horribly cheap feeling and look out of place amongst the early 70s Toyota dash. With a little work the switches are adaptable to the original knobs.

I enjoy seeing all of the different types of vehicles and projects that the painters are working on. They are wrapping up an early 1900s supercar. The amount of woodwork neccessary is staggering.

20180829_103336.jpg
20180829_105544.jpg
20180829_111534.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom