Builds Reddog90's 40 Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddog90

SILVER Star
Threads
jjtSEVO.jpg

I picked up this '76 back in October. It was a father/son project truck purchased from Wimberley 4x4 in 2006. The guys there did a lot of mechanical and body work in 2008, and the cruiser got one of the last steel full tubs that CCOT produced. It was at that shop a while and was one of the last projects to come out of Daniel's shop before his brother passed and he eventually sold the business to Proffitt's. I don't think the PO used it all that much since the restoration was done. There is a laundry list of small items for me to take care of, but nothing overly complicated.

I have to give a big thanks to @FARMAN33 and @Stexag for their guidance during my shopping. I would have overpaid for a pile of junk multiple times if not for their sound advice. I jumped into this feet first but the nod of approval from Brian was good enough for me.

This thread won't be an epic transformation story like Patina, Pikachu, Patches, and several others that I have learned from and really enjoyed following. I have a pretty modest to-do list and I'd just like a spot to document how I make this rig my own, my maintenance/repairs, and lots of adventures along the way.

Day 1:
jSKQb3E.jpg

TpSug6Y.jpg

Vx5RcA8.jpg

C9kvrpx.jpg

Gotta try that BEER! Nice 40 BTW........ :grinpimp:

I Really like the Factory White Wagons w/ the BFG M/T Raised White lettering facing Out :popcorn:

thats a Classic & Timeless look that will Never go out of style .................. A+

It has been great getting to know you and your new 40!

Enjoy the "process"! You are on the doorstep to so much essoteric knowlege and mechanical aptitude. You found a good one there. It needs a hundred little things but that is part of the fun.

First thing I did was spray the hell out of the engine bay and undercarriage with 50/50 simple green and used a power washer out in the street. It was gross and I didn't get it clean enough. Next I sourced some nice vintage TX plates and got my classic registration. Also applied lagniappe.

OeH2WxW.jpg

One of the first projects I did was replace the oil sending unit. I ordered OEM from cruiser corps. The unit I received did not work for some reason. I tried to exchange it, but they were out of stock. So they gave me a refund and I sourced another OEM from @RAGINGMATT along with a nice harness he sells.

aMH7MNi.jpg

KKGbdFP.jpg

I removed the air rail so I could replace the non-functioning water temp sender. I went with a new aftermarket temp sender from CCOT. @FARMAN33 was kind enough to give me a cap and plug kit he had laying around. Did some more cleaning while I had the air cleaner off.

DsKXh2V.jpg

Also installed a new jump seat bolt kit from CCOT, and new fiberglass top and hard top bolt kits from CruiserCorps. PO had quite the assortment of random bolts holding all this together and there was a lot of rattling and creaking. I'm waiting to get some nice vessel tools to install the screws for the doors and door jamb brackets. I also could not get the two fiberglass top screws in right over the windshield. I shelved that project to figure out next year when I take the top off.

I removed the floor mat in the tub and did some substantial cleaning back there. I probably need to remove the two front seats to really deep clean the front interior. Also on the list is Nolen's patina treatment in a couple areas and a good detailing.

Heater works ok, heater valve is stuck open though. Rear heater doesn't work at all. That's OK for now.

Oil change with VR1 and a Toyota big filter courtesy of @HemiAlex. I'll do the transmission, TC and axles next week, waiting on a bucket pump in the mail. I got all new plugs from @RAGINGMATT.

TDglHhw.jpg

TGIynvE.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new for peace of mind.

ES68K1q.jpg

Y5eberu.jpg

I need new KM3s now, I'd like a whole new lift kit sometime soon, and I also need to diagnose some steering issues. Those are at the top of my laundry list for now. I'm trying to take this slow so I don't piss off my wife. But I'd like to get it to Big Bend next year.

S7zAeSH.jpg

I Really like the Factory White Wagons w/ the BFG M/T Raised White lettering facing Out :popcorn:

thats a Classic & Timeless look that will Never go out of style .................. A+
@RAGINGMATT trying to whiten the wheels once cruiser at a time! ;)

Nice 40 , I also like when the diva is driving my junk , it always put a smile on her face .
Why the urgent need for km3 ?
The km2 on the first pics still have nice threads
What is your steering issues. ?

The KM2s have great tread left but are a 2008 date code. They are slightly dry rotted and I just don't trust them. I drive it on my short commute to work several times a week but I don't feel comfortable setting out on the highway somewhere or trailering this thing to CO or UT on these tires. Steering - I have a little play in my steering and I haven't diagnosed where exactly it's coming from. TREs themselves look OK to me but almost all the boots are busted. Maybe I need to rebuild the center arm, steering box, and/or knuckles? I hit a bump going about 40 a couple weeks ago and got a wobble. That's the only time that's happened and I haven't been able to recreate it. My research on mud shows a myriad of things that could cause that, but before I tear into steering stuff I thought new tires would be the simplest/most immediate improvement.

E3pMvEw.jpg

3jE9W1m.jpg

kFynaWr.jpg

mMER2KZ.jpg

hey Reddog ,

The Gear Oil u drained in your 1st photo looks
Normal

looks like u have some Minor Moisture Infiltration into the Transmission & T-Case , maybe likley

u want to check the Check-Ball vent atop the t-case shift select plate , i bet its stuck open , easy low cost part to replace

also your shift stick Cane accordion Boot on top of the cane tower , its most likley Shot or simply missing

the Greyish milky color of both gear oils indicates moisture or water mixing with the oil at some point , such a low level river crossing or long

term exposer to road splash on the highway overland travel

the rear axle has a check ball vent also atop the axle housing , its gear oil looks a bit milky too ( your last photo )

also , That New Bright Silver Zinc 24mm OEM Toyota Drain Plug on your oil pan looks Sharp :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom