Builds Reddog90's 40 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The trip was a big milestone for me and boosted my confidence in the rig. My wife is a trooper and endured this ~150 mile trip at almost 7 months pregnant!

yqarpTt.jpg

qMnx6tT.jpg

I gave it some oil and more fluid film last week, then I made a beach run with some other enthusiasts on Saturday. It was picture perfect weather and we had a great time hanging out on the beach.

lrLSY8T.jpg

dv83iSS.jpg

hZHcwU6.jpg

OQ6FWsh.jpg

mSjtsRb.jpg
Dang! Wish I would have know. Would have loved to ride out. I need to venture out with mine more. NICE RIG! Planning to paint mine in the near future green..

Last edited:
No tech just driving lately. We had a baby in Feb and have had our hands full!

xfzhWMu.jpg

The weather was too nice this weekend, so I decided to spend some time cleaning up the 40.

qxZZyC3.jpg

I roughly followed this method of detailing instead of doing the normal mud routine of jumping in with a scotchbrite pad. I used Meguiar's, Mother's and Poorboy's detailing products.
The hood is in the worst condition and really benefited from being re hydrated with the M7. After I started waxing, I realized I forgot the polish step... I'll include that next time.

RYFxs4L.jpg

I love how rustic green changes so much depending on the lighting. In the garage it looks dark, in the bright afternoon sun it looks teal. Neat color.

KCHgTxz.jpg

It's time to get the doors off and bikini top on again. I'll be refreshing my cooling system and rebuilding my parking brake in prep for fall wheeling. Also need to get a forward facing bench seat so I can introduce my wrenching buddy to our super tractor.

Big refresh milestone done thanks to @samc2447 at Northwest Design & Fab https://northwestdf.com/

Cooling System
Aisin water pump from Rock Auto
Toyota thermostat, housing, gaskets, oil cooler pipe bolts, radiator cap, and fan belt sourced from EB Toyota Parts
Overland Metric thermostat housing bolts
Toyota heater valve, oil cooler piping kit, and radiator union pipe from City Racer
City Racer stainless double wire hose clamps
$OR radiator hose kit
All new Gates hoses
Radiator was sent to Downtown Radiator here in Houston - cleaned, pressure tested, soldered, sealed and repainted
Cooling system flush and refill with Valvoline Zerex

Parking Brake
Cruiser Outfitters Jap shoes and OEM hardware kit
Valley Hybrids rear double seal output housing

Steve took care of numerous other smaller items as well. He removed my rear bumper and repaired some cracked welds. The tire swingout was bouncing and causing some impressive/scary flex in the bumper. It's solid as a rock now and reinstalled with grade 8 bolts. He's working on reinforcing my driver side swingout basket and rigged up a temporary license plate holder for now. He cleaned up some ugly wiring at my tail lights while the bumper was off and installed new gaskets and lenses. He replaced some light bulbs and added grounds to a few lights. Then repaired a broken exhaust hanger that had my tailpipe hanging too close to my shackle.

56yFxgN.jpg

No wonder my parking brake wouldn't hold....

MAPr9za.jpg

rKDxN0I.jpg

Xwepeex.jpg

My PO cut the front half of my headliner off the day we first met because it was sagging. The rear started to sag a couple weeks ago as well, so I went ahead and pulled it off and went to town with a putty knife and shop vac.

wXTYYkV.jpg

eZWlYzU.jpg

I think the truck is about ready for CO this fall!

Last edited:
Nice thread @reddog90! My parents got an '82 FJ40 from Daniel (Wimberly 4x4) in late 2016/early 2017. Although he closed his shop we reached out to him to see if he could help us find a nice FJ40 -- I went to Baylor with his son, so he helped us out. He was friends with the original owner who was going to part with it, but wanted to make sure it was going to a "good" owner. (Under 130k miles). Daniel did some work to get it up to standards for us. I'm now getting it passed down to me and will be shipping it out to the Atlanta-area where I live now. :)

Nice thread @reddog90! My parents got an '82 FJ40 from Daniel (Wimberly 4x4) in late 2016/early 2017. Although he closed his shop we reached out to him to see if he could help us find a nice FJ40 -- I went to Baylor with his son, so he helped us out. He was friends with the original owner who was going to part with it, but wanted to make sure it was going to a "good" owner. (Under 130k miles). Daniel did some work to get it up to standards for us. I'm now getting it passed down to me and will be shipping it out to the Atlanta-area where I live now. :)

Small world! What color is it?

That's cool!
Great thread. So what happened in the end? Traded the 40 for a 60? Funny story, I ran into Daniel in Wimberly one time at the grocery store. No idea who he is/was just chatted him up because he was in his white 40. Interesting guy, sorry that he's no longer in business. Gave me his personal card though in case I ever get in trouble in the Wimberly area.

Hey Ben. Long story short, we started popping out babies and this truck was not conducive to car seats. It became like a motorcycle which in hind sight could have been a good escape every now and then. I started longing for a wagon as a much more practical fun car for our young family. Plus having power steering, AC, and a working radio sounded nice. I connected with a guy in San Antonio that had both a 40 and a 60 and no kids, and asked how he liked each respective vehicle. Turned out he was considering selling the 60. I found a buyer for my 40 through @bottombracket who was shopping for a friend of his. Our friend group had been planning a wheeling trip to CO in the fall of 2020 for almost a year and my buyer was nice enough to let me take the truck on the trip I had been working towards for so long, on the condition that I fix anything I break or we adjust the price. The truck performed great and the trip was incredible. Wheeling a 40 is a visceral experience compared to a 60! A week later, the 40 was gone, and a week or two after that I had Marge in my driveway. I have no regrets moving to a 60 for my needs, but nothing beats a nice weather drive in a topless 40.

lQgQ0Qc.jpg

81R5kBr.jpg

qfsloBv.jpg

pBUTGve.jpg

eKavLbU.jpg

0Pop9KP.jpg

vXr2TA5.jpg

Hey Ben. Long story short, we started popping out babies and this truck was not conducive to car seats. It became like a motorcycle which in hind sight could have been a good escape every now and then. I started longing for a wagon as a much more practical fun car for our young family. Plus having power steering, AC, and a working radio sounded nice. I connected with a guy in San Antonio that had both a 40 and a 60 and no kids, and asked how he liked each respective vehicle. Turned out he was considering selling the 60. I found a buyer for my 40 through @bottombracket who was shopping for a friend of his. Our friend group had been planning a wheeling trip to CO in the fall of 2020 for almost a year and my buyer was nice enough to let me take the truck on the trip I had been working towards for so long, on the condition that I fix anything I break or we adjust the price. The truck performed great and the trip was incredible. Wheeling a 40 is a visceral experience compared to a 60! A week later, the 40 was gone, and a week or two after that I had Marge in my driveway. I have no regrets moving to a 60 for my needs, but nothing beats a nice weather drive in a topless 40.

lQgQ0Qc.jpg

81R5kBr.jpg

qfsloBv.jpg

pBUTGve.jpg

eKavLbU.jpg

0Pop9KP.jpg

vXr2TA5.jpg
This a great evolutionary story of personal and cruiser life. You ended up with a sweet 60 in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom