Real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rideglobally

Nullacruiser
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
On the way to Alaska from Los Angeles, our running lights just went out on us. All the fuses are good. What can be the issue? We are now north of Santa Barbara, what other diagnostic I can do? Or Does anyone know of an electrician the is familiar with a 1983 hj47 along the coastal route heading north? Thx

Are positive the fuse is good? Did you swap it? If it is good, then grab a test light at a station and see if you have power on both sides of the fuse. Work from there to see where the problem is.

Get over to Hwy 5 and see Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. 1038 W. Fremont Street, just off Hwy 5. 650-576-2023.

Be happy to help in San Gregorio, on the coast about 40 miles north of Santa Cruz! Been following your build for years and would be happy to help!

Agree. Probably grounds. I haven't found a 83 diagram yet but on an 81 hj47 the power comes from the light control switch. It is a green. The light control switch gets its power off the 15 amp tail fuse via a green/red wire. Get a multimeter and see if you have juice on both sides of the fuse. If so move to the light control switch. Is the Green Red wire hot at the switch. Power out from the switch to marker lights is a green wire. See if its hot. You may need to scuff it up if it's not allowing power through.

It appears HJ47's have a common ground in the harness that all the markers rely on. It's supposed to be a WB. Need to figure out where it terminates and clean it up.

Last edited:
Wiggle the fuse. I had this happen a few months ago on my 40. I checked everything and by chance I pushed on the fuse with the probe on my meter and all the sudden all of the lights worked. Good luck.

Another possible thing to try is stuff a chunk of wire into one of the running light White/Blacks and the find some bare metal to ground it to.

On a 40, most of the running lights just individually ground to the body.

Up 101 in Gilroy you can stop at Custom Cruisers FJ40. Ron is a wiring genius.
25 Buena Vista Ave # B, Gilroy, CA 95020
1-408-842-3540

IMG_0926.JPG
Sorry for the late respond. All your comments are very helpful, on Sunday we plan to be at Henry w. Coe state park, we will pass through Gilroy on hwy 101. I will call custom cruiser. Thx so much. We are currently in Morro bay.

want to see more pics of your truck... album link in you signature comes back with an error

Give Ron a call before you get there. He is open mon-fri and sometimes on Sat.

Give Ron a call before you get there. He is open mon-fri and sometimes on Sat.
I just spoke to Ron, we will camp at his shop lot Sunday nite. Thx so much. Will keep you all posted.

View attachment 1453407 Sorry for the late respond. All your comments are very helpful, on Sunday we plan to be at Henry w. Coe state park, we will pass through Gilroy on hwy 101. I will call custom cruiser. Thx so much. We are currently in Morro bay.
That's a nice state park, my wife and I visited there on our last trip to the Bay Area. There are quite a few good trails to explore.

@lostmarbles where do the marker lights ground on a BJ. Possibly similar to the 47?

This is from the 1983 wiring FSM and is supposed to cover HJ4# models if it's of any help:
Marker1983HJ4series.jpg

(Ooops. I've just swapped this image because I think the other one was for some other model than an HJ4series.)

Last edited:
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
Up 101 in Gilroy you can stop at Custom Cruisers FJ40. Ron is a wiring genius.
25 Buena Vista Ave # B, Gilroy, CA 95020
1-408-842-3540
Thank you so much everyone! We spent two nights with the wiring genius Ron Diaz camped at his shop yard. Running lights fixed and also our leaky transfer case. Moreover, Custom Cruisers FJ40 is a land cruiser's paradise. Nulla was happy with the fix and a quick check-up to ready herself for the drive to Alaska. We made new friends and it was the highlight of our trip so far. The pictures tell the story. Many thanks Ron Diaz, Ed Garcia, and friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom