Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser (Deathstar) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well, I have been able to put down some miles with the new transfer case gears (3.1:1 low range and 10% under drive) and can say I don't notice and increased gear noise and it handles great on and off road. the under drive is probably my new favorite upgrade for drivability!

I haven't been doing anything lately other than commuting... i took the cruiser out a few weeks ago after it sat for a few weeks and that battery was dead. Got it jumped and it would run sitting in the drive way. i pulled out of the driveway and it died, then i got it back in the drive way let it run and charge a bit but the gauge was only reading minor charging, i was able to verify with the national luna gauge that charging was sporadic at best. with the poor charging i decided to check the battery connections and it turned out the the negative was a little loose, tightened them up and everything was fine for 30 miles and it died at my in-laws. we decided to pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger to bring it back up and test it again, the charge would not hold so we replaced the battery and things seem to be good except the battery light continues to stay lit up on the dash any ideas? starts/runs/drives with out a problem.

Edit: with the new battery charging seems to be back to normal except the battery light is staying on. national luna controller indicates 14+ volts while driving.

Last edited:
the battery is new. I replaced it last week and everything is running well but the light is staying on.

When was the last time that you replaced the brushes in the alternator?

Also, if you have mil spec terminals, did you also tighten the cables to the terminals. I had an electrical issue with sporadic charging problems recently where that was the issue. I had tightened the posts, but not the cables... Whoops. It was nice that the fix was so easy.

Last edited:
When was the last time that you replaced the brushes in the alternator?

Also, if you have mil spec terminals, did you also tighten the cables to the terminals. I had an electrical issue with sporadic charging problems recently where that was the issue. I had tightened the posts, but not the cables... Whoops. It was nice that the fix was so easy.
I don't know if the brushes have ever been replaced... but since i am getting a consistent high reading on the gauge it seems like the Alt should be fine?

and as for the terminals everything looks clean and nothing is wiggly.

I'm confused. In this post you say you are getting high readings, but in your previous post you used words like "minor charging" and "sporadic at best". If you battery light is on and you are not getting about 14 volts + or - from your alternator after starting, then your symptoms are like mine were. Your alternator needs rebuilt or replaced. Mine put out about 12.8v for week or more before it fell to 11.7 and the dual batteries and solar here and there couldn't keep up.

I'm confused. In this post you say you are getting high readings, but in your previous post you used words like "minor charging" and "sporadic at best". If you battery light is on and you are not getting about 14 volts + or - from your alternator after starting, then your symptoms are like mine were. Your alternator needs rebuilt or replaced. Mine put out about 12.8v for week or more before it fell to 11.7 and the dual batteries and solar here and there couldn't keep up.
My thoughts exactly and I said as much in the other post.

A couple of weeks ago i noticed a brake fluid leak... i have pulled the brake master and have commenced the rebuild. As i got into it i found that there was fluid in what i think is a vacuum line, I am hoping that rebuilding the master cylinder solves the leak. any input from you guys would be helpful.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

Scroll about 5 more posts down . . .

How did the MC rebuild go?
i am slowly getting it done, after starting to rebuild mine and seeing how crusty it was inside i opted to try a rebuilt unit from Andy Lee in California everything is hooked up and waiting for me to finish the bleed. i think all i need to do now is reset the ABS since it keeps beeping at me.

What is your latest opinion on the front drive conversion? And is the only parts needed the hubs? So you don’t have to tear into the axles?
I am really liking it. up front all that is needed is the hubs, but to make it true part time you will need to install a spool in place of the center differential. I think it is way easier than working on my LV....

Cruiser Outfitters also offers a fully rebuilt t-case to drop in so you don't have to mess with the gears and everything. I am super glad that i did that along with the under drive and low range gears. you know "because I was in there"...

I am really liking it. up front all that is needed is the hubs, but to make it true part time you will need to install a spool in place of the center differential. I think it is way easier than working on my LV....

Cruiser Outfitters also offers a fully rebuilt t-case to drop in so you don't have to mess with the gears and everything. I am super glad that i did that along with the under drive and low range gears. you know "because I was in there"...

Did you have the dreaded clunking of the drive train that is so common on our 100's? I was told this conversion eliminates that issue bc the front is no longer under full time power while on the street and disengaged. Is that correct? What do you mean about the "spool" in the front dif?

Did you have the dreaded clunking of the drive train that is so common on our 100's? I was told this conversion eliminates that issue bc the front is no longer under full time power while on the street and disengaged. Is that correct? What do you mean about the "spool" in the front dif?

I didn't have any clunk, that is most likely the front diff bushings that are worn out. the spool is a solid metal piece that replaces the carrier in the center diff making the truck wither 2WD or true 4WD similar to a 40 or 60 series. you will lose the AWD feature of the 80/100/200 series which allow for different power transmission front to rear.

so I have been picking away at a few projects over the past two months, some for fun and others were a maintenance/repair.

- Brake Master, the swap went good and i was able to bleed the system, how ever it seems that i feel the pump coming more often. I am thinking that I am just sensitive to it now.

- over the summer I removed the side moldings and ARB step/side rails in preparation for some bed liner. I did this on my 80 with excellent results in my opinion, but this time I was a bit short on time so i took it to a local shop for them to do the work, they didn't quite hit the mark but i am living with it.

- I also replaced the seat leather with a L-seat kit, it is not the best quality but it is better that what was in there for sure, while i was in the seats i repaired a the heat seaters, there were a couple of burnt spots and i ended up deleting one section due to a long burn. the color seems to be quite a bit lighter but it could be that the old leather is pretty dirty. I am hoping that as time goes the leather will tighten up a bit and get a bit more slippery, every time i get in i feel like I kind of stick to the seat.

IMG-0225.JPG

IMG-0317.JPG

IMG-0320.JPG

IMG-0420.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom