PigRibs, a 74 FST 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this rig kind of fell into my lap. a friend from high school called me up to come look at her fathers cruiser and tell him how much to sell it for... i wasn't looking to buy since i have a '96 80 and a 64LV in pieces. I gave a quick once over and gave him my thoughts then went home and was telling my wife that it was in good shape, ran and drove, super clean tailgate next to no rust and on and on... she said "well why don't you buy it?" and i thought, "don't have to tell me twice.." so i went and drove it home with my 4 yr.old as co-pilot.

the Plan:

- OME suspension - DONE
- Disc brakes - DONE
- 5 speed - in process
- 1-HZ swap - in process
- FST - Bows work well, need to adjust the top a little
- Bench seat (for kid comfort/safety) - Puchased, needs to be upolstered
- 8274 winch - on the hunt
- upgraded headlights, not sure which ones currently -back burner
- custom Long range tank - back burner

Needed parts:

- FST windshield frame
- factory roll bar
- UB-40 fender flares? or wheel well patches? not sure here, but it is down the road for now..

IMG_6991.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

View attachment 1581572

Last edited:
first things first, i replaced the tie-rod ends and the rebuilt the center arm so it was relatively safe to drive around. we were planning to keep this as a daily driver and mild off road truck that everyone can enjoy, so with @cruiseroutfit down the street and some other parts sourced from Member of Wasatch Cruisers we dove in and swapped to a full OME suspension with factory wheels and caps. as for the tires 33x9.5 MT would have been the first choice but slightly used 33x10.5 AT's for less than half the price will have to do..

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

Last edited:
since this is a '74 it has the F.5 motor and Drum brakes, both these are on the short list of things to go. I was able to source a set of axles from a '84 BJ42 so those have been cleaned up, gears redone (3.70's) and rolled under the truck.

the Motor will hopefully be out and swapped prior to Christmas for a 1-HZt with a H55 5spd behind it. I think this will be a great combo for drivability as well as off road use.

also, since this came with a hard top but is a FST i have opted to find a FST for it. I was able to pick up a paki-repro top from another mud member, Eshan made this one and as with my other dealings with him there are a few things that aren't awesome but it will have to do. there are no snaps on the side and the windshield channel doesn't really hold top if you go over 40mph..

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

Nice rig! Are those 33's on it now?
yes, currently sitting on the 33X10.5 BF KO2's

the truck is currently with a friend of mine in Utah with i am working in Germany.. he is doing a few things for me in his spare time.. hopefully the HZ swap..

The family pictures are priceless. Good luck with your new build. I sent you a PM

Long story short, when i was dating my now wife she asked if i still had my old cruiser from high school and said that her favorite car was a fj-40... i could find a ring fast enough!

Looks awesome!!!

Love when things just kinda fall into your lap. There is a 40 stored in a garage i know of ive caught a glimps and am just waiting for the day he finally decides to give it up haha its been there 20 years now and in great shape.

that looks like it is an OCD top, rather than a Paktop by Eshan. It also looks like an OEM soft top windshield frame, although I don't know if they were different in any way in 74. If I were you, I would just push down on the top of the windshield channel & tighten it down a bit to hold the front of your top in higher speeds. Don't push it too hard, or you'll bend it in too tight & make it tough install/uninstall the top.

Great score!

I can just send her down for birthdays and x-mass.. but yeah it is an exercise in self control on a daily basis..

Self control is over-rated :D

@cruiseroutfit True.. do you still have that factory roll bar? i may need you to send it home with Big D.. along with a sweet FST windshield frame:hmm:...

I'll check on the roll-bar, I may have one in storage sitting next to a nice 1HZ :D

The FST w/s frame I have here is for the red 40 FST I just picked up. The one on it is slightly tweaked.

I have a slightly tweaked one for sale :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom