Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As always, I will be here to thumbs-up the majority of posts in this thread.

It takes a village. 👍

If only there were wide wheels and headrests it would get all the thumbs

Where’d the roof on the ‘64 come from?

8824.gif

Thanks, I ask because I’m now just starting into repairing my ‘63’s rather marginal roof (it‘s steel - what’s left lol - with 6 ribs) and if there is a replacement option that’d save me 10000 hours of metal replacement labor and is not in the Bloomberg budget world I’d be interested. @RustyNailJustin knows a bit about my rig. I’m assuming he’ll offer parts to me first for my rig before he does to you. Just sayin’ (and I doubt it 😂).

Love the rig(s), despite what Nolen @wngrog might do to them 😛. But you might get a bunch of questions from me (like what are you going to do with the rear windows in the ‘63) ... nothing to do with that fru fru disk, TBI, stuff though 🙅‍♂️.

Interspersing this thread with pics and details of your airplane would be good too.👍 Paul

Pulled the old "bait and switch" haha this will be a great build! All the heavy hitters in the LC community involved.

Interspersing this thread with pics and details of your airplane would be good too.👍 Paul

Noted! Florida is not an easy state to traverse - especially living in North Florida. Plus, I spent a few years living part of the year in Apalachicola and there is not much there.....except for a pretty solid former military airport. So I bought a Cirrus SR22 to shuttle me around the state and it’s been crazy helpful. Depending on the time of the year, a 10 am meeting in Miami that last a few hours could require flying in the day before and flying out the day after. That’s not very efficient. The plane generally allows me to skip all that nonsense and just do what I need to do without spending a bunch of unnecessary nights in hotels.

I will be flying back over to Nolen’s at the end of March for our first committee meeting of sorts. That trip would easily take 5 to 6 hours via Delta with a stop in Atlanta or option two would be probably 10 hours or so driving. This plane gets it done in about 2 hours and burns about as much fuel as my 2020 Heritage Edition would on the drive.

3DE25F2C-E4E1-4640-AEF2-F66A2E2B1518.jpeg

Pulled the old "bait and switch" haha this will be a great build! All the heavy hitters in the LC community involved.
@Varty Yo it really came together so quick. I phoned him after seeing the truck and said “hold up we might have a new plan.” The 64 will get its few things done to it first as it doesn’t really need much. But things are also moving fast on the 63. We just have to get it to Mississippi now.

Some nice parts showing up in the RustNailRacing stable for this build.
For those that don't know me. I have been a Land Cruiser guy since I was 13 or 14 bought my first 1984 FJ60 when I was 15. I am now 43 and have had had the pleasure of working on hundreds of LCs over the years. We have a proven track record of tough 9.5s with our 4600 class King of the Hammers car. Built LC diffs racing the toughest desert and rock races in the world zero ring and pinion failures ever!
IMG_20200301_164347.jpg
FB_IMG_1578765400442.jpg

I’ll follow Justin’s lead...

I’ve been drinking the Cruiser Kool-Aid for about 16 or 17 years, but have been cruising around in my current 60 since my family bought it new in ‘85 (I’m also 43).

I’m a Professional Rocket Scientist by training (really just a boring ME, but did get a C in the Rocket Science class I took), and decided to retire from that world about two years ago to play with Cruisers full time.

I don’t race, but test my own work in the conditions I designed for and expect that my customers will do the same.

ADBE7305-59E6-4068-92BD-14C7D6AB0BC7.jpeg

For this build, we are starting with one of these 1Fs...

FD148BF0-E961-411E-A73E-81790C2920E0.jpeg

...and are going to throw some custom parts and fuel injection at it and see what happens. When we’re done, it will look and perform nothing like the motor the truck was born with.

Really looking forward to this one!

Last edited:
Just got word that the truck will be delivered to Nolen’s first thing in the morning!

And I’m still on the beach getting geared up for all these 45s.....

7D3D5223-94FD-4BE7-9208-C7B7D18CEA42.jpeg

Looks like the surf's up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom