1964 FJ45 rear main seal replace (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any experience with this procedure. Have engine out and will do clutch TOB, PP etc. How complex is the rear main seal replacement? Can it be done one piece from the outside.

In did mine once on the 72 back in the 80's. When I put it in my dad told me it would leak (fit too loose and some light groves, he was right). I scored a speedi sleeve from rock auto on close out for like $5 and 3 new seals for a total of like $20 14 years ago. I'll be installing them in the spring

Any experience with this procedure. Have engine out and will do clutch TOB, PP etc. How complex is the rear main seal replacement? Can it be done one piece from the outside.

Dead easy with the engine out.

Remove the oil pan, remove the cap (bottom half) of the rear main bearing. The oil seal will be mostly exposed and come right off; the new seal will slip on by hand with no driving necessary. Replace the bearing cap, torque to spec, replace the oil pan with a new cork gasket after carefully cleaning the block and the pan, and straightening the sheet metal flange of the oil pan as best as you can.

Lots of good threads if you search on here. And the video @andybudge is great. You don’t have to drop the oil pan, but it seems like if you do, you can clean and install easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom