Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Progress on the front housing! It's been a bit of a challenge here because a ton of places are closed and there is quite a bit of the sickness going around Montrose county considering it's so small. Colorado is under a shutdown technical until the end of the month at least. But none the less all my shop time in the evenings is going to this and we are getting close to final assembly.
Getting something sand blasted or powercoated right now ain't going to happen. So after days of soaking the knuckle parts in purple power and wire wheeling them they were spotless clean. I used Napa Crossfire on one of my flat beds a few years ago and it has held up great so I tried it on the knuckle parts. It turned out great.
IMG_20200406_123221.jpg
IMG_20200407_122313.jpg
IMG_20200407_122326.jpg
IMG_20200407_122336.jpg

The front shock tabs are pretty jacked up so I decided to Fab up some new ones that are a bit thicker than stock and use a weld washer to stand the bushing directly off the tab. It mimics stock pretty close just a little more beef.
I just need to weld to the housing.
IMG_20200407_121546.jpg
IMG_20200407_121657.jpg
IMG_20200407_121726.jpg

Excellent work. I can’t wait to see this little bugger as a roller.

I’ve spent the last few days moving all my junk out of my old shop into the new storage area I built. This takes all the racks off the walls in the old shop to give lots of room to work.

Rotunda is headed to it’s spot as soon as I get someone more competent than my son to help me get it aligned and up on jackstands

EF1DB472-040E-4163-BF67-B06AACF77D97.jpeg

B5A4AA63-58FB-4D6A-88E2-4C2E5FBFD976.jpeg

02295DDF-6B69-41A7-B6F2-B1B7D5E96F5D.jpeg

Measure twice and cut once on those table legs, not the other way 😛

Measure twice and cut once on those table legs, not the other way 😛

Hahahajaja I thought the same thing than was thinking his floor was a weee bit crooked.

Hahahajaja I thought the same thing than was thinking his floor was a weee bit crooked.

The shop was a pole barn for 25 years and the center section was the deer skinning rack. The pad was only the center section and it was sloped so you could easily was deer guts and such off. Unfortunately when I closed in the shop I made the decision to match the slope when I paved the other two sections versus bringing it all level. That was 15 years ago and I’ve learned to live with it but it damn sure drives me crazy.

Rotunda is in its final resting place until new steering and axles are in place.

183F8737-7E75-4042-AE76-CF858951165D.jpeg

That is a nice work space you have there.

It’s a cool old shop. Building the new one attached to it really opened it up. Thanks Tank

X2, great environment to turn wrenches, currently working on a shop next to my creek, built a little deck out on the side to take take a breather and soak up some nature. Never knew how important it would be now days!

Well that was fun. First side took me a while to figure out (I’m not an 80 series guy so all this full float stuff is new to me)
Second side was a breeze.
Looks like we are in business with this thing. Waiting on brake rotor hats and it will be ready for that Harrop 3rd

I think I have this Ebrake assembly in the correct position. If this does not look right Let
Me know.

View attachment 2260287

View attachment 2260291

View attachment 2260298

View attachment 2260299

View attachment 2260300
What a nice and cool build... i love the look of the front corners on short beds.

I like the idea to use a 70 serie housing with 80 brakes. You can keep parking brake and also look like oem.

What year is the 70 series donor?
What is the width 55" 56"?
The 80 brakes are just bolt on?
Why harrop lockers over arb or oem elockers?
The 15" rims didn't touch the caliper?

Way too nany questions? LoL
Im dial in..... cheers from chile.

What a nice and cool build... i love the look of the front corners on short beds.

I like the idea to use a 70 serie housing with 80 brakes. You can keep parking brake and also look like oem.

What year is the 70 series donor?
What is the width 55" 56"?
The 80 brakes are just bolt on?
Why harrop lockers over arb or oem elockers?
The 15" rims didn't touch the caliper?

Way too nany questions? LoL
Im dial in..... cheers from chile.

same width as an FJ40 but the perches had to be outboarded.

This model had disc brakes.

Factory lockers were never discussed. Harrop are foolproof.

This truck will have 16” wheel

Keep the questions coming

same width as an FJ40 but the perches had to be outboarded.

This model had disc brakes.

Factory lockers were never discussed. Harrop are foolproof.

This truck will have 16” wheel

Keep the questions coming
Ok. I'm bit confused.. if the 70 series rear axles came with disc brakes why you install 80 series hubs and brakes? To switch from 5x150mm to 6x5.5 bolt wheel pattern?

Ok. I'm bit confused.. if the 70 series rear axles came with disc brakes why you install 80 series hubs and brakes? To switch from 5x150mm to 6x5.5 bolt wheel pattern?

This is a rare 6 lug factory disc rear 70 series axle that came from Europe

The disc brakes are 1” smaller in diameter than 80 series.

Good morning from RustyNailRacing HQ
I got up early and did more cleaning on the housing and welded the new shock tabs on before work. Living at 8K has it's advantages, buy not in the winter. The weather is amazing this time of year.
On the locker topic. I am a big fan of ARB and these Harrops seem great as well. I am not a fan of the Toyota ELockers they get a D- in my book of reliability and packaging.

IMG_20200408_070520.jpg
IMG_20200408_070646.jpg

Good morning from RustyNailRacing HQ
I got up early and did more cleaning on the housing and welded the new shock tabs on before work. Living at 8K has it's advantages, buy not in the winter. The weather is amazing this time of year.
On the locker topic. I am a big fan of ARB and these Harrops seem great as well. I am not a fan of the Toyota ELockers they get a D- in my book of reliability and packaging.

View attachment 2264813View attachment 2264814
Look like spring has sprung..

Here i see arb and oem elocker not a harrop yet. Both are really good lockers. The problem i see with the oem is the long splines weakness. And harrop vs arb looks better just because you dont need a air compressor.

Now i get it. is a European or aus axle. Good to know the disc is 1" smaller (you can keep 15" wheels). I think is the right axle to use in 40 series.

Zero ****s given paint job here.

I wonder if these guys were from Venezuela or Colombia?

Anyone have a nice set of seat backs? These are MIA as are the ones on the 💩45

Original color, some non-OEM gold and shag carpet and the final random coating of Dune Beige

I got this though.

B3E1C80B-DC89-4D2F-B5A1-8F525066C5D4.jpeg

8E74AEE2-4D01-45C9-BAB0-BCF7040FD9DC.jpeg

D575868A-2530-4EC8-B6C3-941EA3545D3C.jpeg

FD34233F-3231-41E0-8C41-1D2CFC8609D4.jpeg

That is disappointing.

When that 45 left my place, what I suspected was the origial black license plate was inside the back of the driver seat. Was that still there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom