Events/Trails Pig Party 2021💥🎉💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of you all were asking about the 3FE I am running in Miss Javelina and fuel consumption.

I had all my receipts from gas stations for the Pig Party, and ran my GPS for the entire trip.
I purchased 69.390 gallons, and covered 1370 miles.
By my math that equals 19.7 MPG.

I was pretty surprised. That was everything - running 80+ MPH on the interstate, and crawling through mud and uphill in 4Lo.

Not bad.

If anything, that is a conservative # as I was not completely full when I left the driveway with the GPS on.

I was thinking about this when I drove back to the Black Hills in mid-July for the Black Hills Cruiser Classic and a swimming race.
The GPS mileage didn't make sense to me. 1370 seemed like too much.
I had taken a picture of my odometer when I left for the Pig Party, and then Miss Javelina has been sitting since I got back. So when I do the math on the odometer and apply the correction factor for tires (8%), I come up with 954 miles.
Divided by 69.39 gallons equals 13.76 MPG - much more believable. Still not bad for a blended MPG.
As best as I can figure, the GPS glitched when we were down in the trees trying to get into Wyoming so @Redgrrr to start a big fire. I saw the GPS said it had lost signal, but I figured I would only lose a tenth of a mile or something like that. Instead, I think something else happened.
I remember one time in a swimming race my wrist-based GPS glitched and my course showed me suddenly crossing the reservoir and landing on the top of a cliff, and then magically returning to the same spot a second later.
I can't download the course off this old GPS as the cable uses a serial port. I guess I could get an adapter and try to find the software, but I honestly just don't care that much.

Fun with technology!

As a audio video professional told once “electronics barley works barley”

My Garmin Oregon GPS of 6 years started acting up half way through PP21 and then died on route home. I wrote down all gas stop readings from the pig odometer and with a 11.1 % tire factor multiplier traveled 6045 miles and averaged 10.9 mpg

In my 48 years of owning 55’s and 40’s, 10mpg plus or minus is all I ever got.

tried carburetors, headers. E ignition, cows pushing, dog’s pulling, fat women singing, driving with no hands, driving with no clothes and girlfriends on my lap.
All I every got was 10 mpg (well I did get a bit more with that girlfriend thing)

Now when asked mpg, I just say, I fill the tank when it’s looking empty. In reality I fill up at just below the 1/2 full marker (ya never know when the girl friend thing might happeno_O)

nobody gets a pig looking to get great gas mileage. But it is nice to stop less and pay less. You look at a 6000 mile trip and 2mpg more would have saved you $300-$400. That is a lot of extra bacon and beer... or temporary girlfriends.

I’ve given up worrying about gas mileage. Driving a 47-year-old brick 80 mph with a square box (rooftop tent) on top, even with fuel injection on the 5.7 and 28% overdrive, gets me around 14 at best after all the adjustments. Usually less.
Who cares? Not me.

I think the last time I checked gas mileage on a vehicle was around 1984 when I got my undergrad and my first full-time job. It's sort of like the person that I use to hear say, I would buy that Porsche 930 ( insert Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) if I could afford the insurance.....yea right.

Now if I wandered off into the boonies like some of you guys do then I might feel otherwise but it would be all about making sure I don't run out of fuel.

This has nothing to do with fuel economy or pigs but I did pick up this little gem yesterday in Flagstaff. I need it like a fish needs a bicycle. But the kids approve…

87E43FA8-9240-401E-A3C0-BBF69D617676.jpeg

405F520D-C0A7-44B4-82F9-873B85CE63CE.jpeg

C13A4708-5E26-4676-A611-2ABD301621CC.jpeg

5EDD7078-7BAD-4F60-8D5E-927162954ECF.jpeg

Looks awesome Hank! What year?
1988. I can't believe how modern it is compared to the Pig. Hope to get it repainted and then see if I should keep it or let someone else enjoy it. It's almost too nice for me. Ha!

I got 20+ MPG in the diesel pig, that little 5 cyl Merc was a sipper. It made my 50 gal main tank and 22 gal aux seem silly, I liked the thought of being able to drive 1000 miles in case I needed to :grinpimp: Congrats on the 62, looks really clean. If you keep her, a manual swap to an H42/55 really wakes up the mighty 3FE -

Tucker

1988. I can't believe how modern it is compared to the Pig. Hope to get it repainted and then see if I should keep it or let someone else enjoy it. It's almost too nice for me. Ha!
Shoot, that paint looks good enough in those pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom