permanently installed air compressor(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I alluded too a bit, the idea of an under-the-vehicle (sort of in the area vacated by the spare wheel) air tank is an attractive idea. Anyone done something like that, rather than have a tank inside the body or engine bay?

I put a tank inside the rear quarter panel, means no lost space and not going to get damaged. Otherwise there are a few prime locations under the vehicle with ample space…

1. An airtank saves time ... while changing from tire to tire the compressor fills the tank, the pressure-difference fills the next tire much faster.
2. Way better chances to refill a tire, that has slipped from the bead due to very low pressures, without using those materialmurdering and dangerous tricks with brakecleaner and fire
3. The possibility to use the pressurized air to blow out eg. your air filter

In desert driving conditions i see a clear advantage ... my 80 is used as medical for a german rallye in the sahara desert ... the possibility to quickly adapt the pressure to terrain conditions (desert dunes, washboard piste, tar the last miles to the hospital) is crucial.

1. An airtank saves time ... while changing from tire to tire the compressor fills the tank, the pressure-difference fills the next tire much faster.
2. Way better chances to refill a tire, that has slipped from the bead due to very low pressures, without using those materialmurdering and dangerous tricks with brakecleaner and fire
3. The possibility to use the pressurized air to blow out eg. your air filter

In desert driving conditions i see a clear advantage ... my 80 is used as medical for a german rallye in the sahara desert ... the possibility to quickly adapt the pressure to terrain conditions (desert dunes, washboard piste, tar the last miles to the hospital) is crucial.
How big is your tank? I will give you the blowing out the air filter, however our filters are meant to be washed out. The rest, I'm not sure. With these small tank setups I'm seeing they would be hard pressed to run a finish nail gun.

I put the air tank in the same category as a second battery. At one time both made a lot of sense. But with advancements in both small DC compressors and high output Alternators I'm rethinking the need for either. Both systems take up a lot of space, add weight and are rather complicated.

But I'm also not interested in onboard hot water either. So it could just be me.

Last edited:
Where did you get the bracket for the windshield washer . Installing dual battery setup and need to find a home for it. 97 Lexus
My $5 option has held up for many years

Puma since 2008 1 of 3

IMG_6386.JPG

I've got the pacbrake version of that air compressor, its pretty good! With the truck on airbags I have to drop it everytime I squeeze the truck in the garage and air ti up everytime I pull it out, it gets a lot of use!

Having said that, after about 8 years or something it's starting to not pull air in cold weather (-5c and lower) until the truck warms up. It will work, but it must have a valve sticking or something, pulled it apart and cleaned it and resealed but it kind of does the same thing intermittently. Despite that I'd still highly recommend that compressor.

What is everyone seeing as a benefit of having an air tank?
Have only seen one answer to this. Anyone else care to weigh in on the PRO side of tanking it vs 100% duty-cycle twin compressor (and no tank)? Is there still a point to running a tank?

Have only seen one answer to this. Anyone else care to weigh in on the PRO side of tanking it vs 100% duty-cycle twin compressor (and no tank)? Is there still a point to running a tank?
The answer to this question is just look at the one sitting in your garage! Why does it have a storage tank?

My York has 100% duty cycle, and yet I have three onboard tanks. For those of you with an electrical air compressor, having an air tank will only help the compressor run less, and hopefully get less hot.

Running a tank will not hurt anything, it can only help to extend the life of your air compressor.

The answer to this question is just look at the one sitting in your garage! Why does it have a storage tank?

My York has 100% duty cycle, and yet I have three onboard tanks. For those of you with an electrical air compressor, having an air tank will only help the compressor run less, and hopefully get less hot.

Running a tank will not hurt anything, it can only help to extend the life of your air compressor.
Alas, my garage is compressorless. A big garage tank will fill multiple tires, run tools for a good while. These aren't big tanks. For example, I know a guy who runs compressor-only (100psi, 100% duty cycle) b/c his 2 cubic-foot tank is empty before it fills one tire, so he figures what's the point of hauling a tank around. What do you use your three for, and how big are they?

Last edited:
Air tanks are like batteries. Both are there to add some storage capacity for short duration high demand. For long duration it comes down to the alternator or compressor.

My shop compressor is an 80 gallon 2 stage 7hp speed air that delivers 24.5 cfms at 150 psi. When I’m using my blast cabinet continuously the compressor doesn’t cycle. A larger tank would only delay when the compressor would kick on and then it would continuously run.

Provided the tank is big enough it would help if using air impact tools in short bursts. Just like a second battery helps with winching.

Air tanks are like batteries. Both are there to add some storage capacity for short duration high demand. For long duration it comes down to the alternator or compressor.

My shop compressor is an 80 gallon 2 stage 7hp speed air that delivers 24.5 cfms at 150 psi. When I’m using my blast cabinet continuously the compressor doesn’t cycle. A larger tank would only delay when the compressor would kick on and then it would continuously run.

Provided the tank is big enough it would help if using air impact tools in short bursts. Just like a second battery helps with winching.
And if you were using electric tools--would you still want a tank?

Alas, my garage is compressorless. A big garage tank will fill multiple tires, run tools for a good while. These aren't big tanks. For example, I know a guy who runs compressor-only (100psi, 100% duty cycle) b/c his 2 cubic-foot tank is empty before it fills one tire, so he figures what's the point of hauling a tank around. What do you use your three for, and how big are they?

Then I must have a big garage (oh, how I wish) at home then because I do all things you mentioed 😁 I can't imagine listening to an air comp everytime I need air in the garage. I don't belive in using cordless power tools for mechanic work.

Both of my sliders hold air and a 2 gal air tank lives under the front ARB bumper. I rarely run air tools because I don't break down on the trail a whole bunch apparently. However, blowing out the back of the 80 after stopping for the day and setting up the camp kitchen is done daily. At the end of the trip when it's time to air up, two hoses are connected to the 80 so that I can air up another rig while airing myself up.

Back in the day I used to run a pneumatic blender for margaritas :hillbilly:

The main reason why I went with Joey's turbo kit is so that I can retain the York. Air plays a big factor at home and on the trails for me, and everyone is different.

My 4runner has an Air Zenith air comp with 100% duty cycle and it too uses both sliders for air storage. That vehicle is the tow queen so it has to air up two extra tires on the trailer, as well as blow off the back daily before opening up for cooking duties.

Last edited:
And if you were using electric tools--would you still want a tank?
Most have moved away from air tools and gone to cordless. In my garage I’m airing up tires, painting or blasting. Since painting and blasting on the trails is very rare I just want to air up tires. And I’m not putting a lot of time, effort and money into saving 5 minutes on the last day of a trail run.

The only reason I can think to run a tank is to resent a tire that has come off the bead.
I run a 12 volt Puma with the tank removed and air up from 10 PSI to 25 PSI on all fore 39" tire in less then 8 minutes ;)
It's much lighter and more compact and fits in the rear quarter panel, shifts weight to the back and draws cool air.
AMWts8CORmQlQdHeBqKNM3PeOpQ_M0wkPy9_Z_sWV5PUrmb2EGtPrW9EDlJvTx4N1aSnyb3T_bNvz20ZIRKJCVXZmDjiH2WMZsPf12TiqAEGPnOdiyp-bM6m0n_N0lkr23iXYUjeIf-wEpHAojLO6dO2__m36o76u2KpgDrhsD48CTcWUk5-JqpxW1RXiKf0DqkoEHlE_aLFMnOmVcUmb1khGXB13vlNSxe72LENrX63lQc3L2dSnU36Pwp3brdRWWnq6VTJhNwIJpvHChkAej7RPYRuPisJL9D8aTlmW0YXevI6xqXd-_AAtFPFkreKLXXDy8bZtZznC8uObESm_Db75c0KhXnBjNVjxIdRam96S6KMWgFEpq7bo6N6O2CPAFdhOZsVzLIenXIvWz2YdO4LukxdNzLEVM8Vwd4nBQTRTx0u9QTBrTQLC6-XKeYd-1XsT85VZRwcKsecE4LTbXruAtpvw-VLIdMld1wVBIJYJKZEKkbVB3yp2yedRd089-7zevDUARgbcudZk3tKDcmz1rqxPcCzLuwP4srHSmOgmy7dayaHko8kw-hKruEOLP1NIo1LkKv61Ce0Huh_dirH1oIJZ2yUzgDpKlC_lb0bhxIRwzqf9-StKokpqgq4pwtZnW9Jw6YHGCiwnWCOwvqjwS4GvUte4VzMqKvi1BCQ7Cg9QVjFhOE_JGR-FRJUMzx79xCcqJFiasvmHet7sF6VWe9-jyc5X55liRYU3ol2Toj3SQmBQDfCuTK7hkPMeSsTY0CQzUgIx9JcGvHB3VM1w_FdL85pDuXT5JWhTi6dq_OBJLa_i40crGzhhhI1ttQu_GGUZ_De54jPR65DI9fB1aRpWJ2kF09qUQuE2txCEUSMhVFIkVb4WWmjQ3IT_-GurTqLNWwBSpeE-aRko8bV_KBITA=w1252-h939-s-no

Last edited:
That's a good reminder actually, as I've reseated few beads in the last two decades or so. It's just part of wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom