permanently installed air compressor(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm considering a York but I'd like to run it in place of the factory a/c compressor since I never use the a/c. The possibility of using the factory a/c unit as a compressor also seems pretty intriguing since the bracketry and clutch are already there, so an intake oiler and oil trap/manifold would be easier to build in than fabricating brackets for the York in that location. You'd also be using a factory belt and idler pulley to run it, making locating parts simple. Seems like a great idea!

Has anyone done a write-up on converting over the factory a/c unit? Searching isn't coming up with anything. Pics or it didn't happen!:wrench::wrench::wrench:

Last edited:
I'm considering a York but I'd like to run it in place of the factory a/c compressor since I never use it. The possibility of using the factory a/c unit as a compressor also seems pretty intriguing since the bracketry and clutch are already there, so an intake oiler and oil trap/manifold would be easier to build in than fabricating brackets for the York in that location. You'd also be using a factory belt and idler pulley to run it, making locating parts simple. Seems like a great idea!

Has anyone done a write-up on converting over the factory a/c unit? Searching isn't coming up with anything. Pics or it didn't happen!:wrench::wrench::wrench:
My buddy and wrench-man recommended this while I was looking for a faster setup to re-inflate. My job was to find a kit or parts so after looking at cost of a compressor, kit to adapt the compressor and brackets/pulleys that will need to be fabbed, I concluded that a good electric compressor like the ARB twin motor is cheaper/easier to install and good enough for my purpose. No doubt the engine driven compressor setup is cooler (and no noise) and lot more powerful, I figured I don’t really need all that capability.

Fwiw, Joey @ WitsEnd has a kit but it isn’t in production.

I emailed and asked recently and he says he has no plans to start making these kits.

A general purpose kit that looks good:

Can any sort of truck air compressor be easily adapted/retrofitted to a diesel or petrol motor in an 80?

Viair behind the panel. Running hose to the rear bumper. Have only tested in driveway but seems to work fine. Switch protected form dogs etc behind ashtray opening. Popped in a sub while I was at it. None of it is visible.

1686160817331.png

1686160474103.png
1686159918815.png
1686159959287.png

Last edited:
Can any sort of truck air compressor be easily adapted/retrofitted to a diesel or petrol motor in an 80?
Search this forum for York OBA, there's quite a few threads on engine driven compressors.

The ARB single is just to run my lockers and a spare. I have a separate portable one i carry with air lines to hookup on all 4 tires at once, seems to work great and works for me.
20230604_104010 (1).jpg

I have an extra ARB twin sitting around. Is Slee the only engine mount option? I browsed through the thread and seems it’s either in the back quarter panel, cargo area, or a fancy York install. Ideas?

Fair point, if that works for you then it’s great. Sort of gets to a point of diminishing returns… like if you air up in 5 minutes instead of 10 it’s not that much different, but if it’s 5 minutes vs 15-20 when it’s raining then it starts to add up.

That said, sounds like there might be something wrong with your mates York? A York with a raised idle should be doing 8+ cfm whereas the puma is rated at 1.36…

The biggest problem with electric is to get high CFM takes a lot of amps (at 12v) meaning you either need to have a super heavy duty cabling running to where the pump is mounted or move the compressor closer to the battery. Realistically you can probably add 50-60 amps of load to the vehicle before you start to discharge the main battery and lower voltage, but 60amp at 14.4v is only 864w. I had a small 240v compressor at one stage that was rated at 1500w and it struggled to hold pressure while filling tyres.

Again probably depends how patient and how often you inflate your tyres.

The shame is there isn’t quiet enough demand to cast/bulk manufacture brackets for a York, meaning the cost is high for hand made brackets. It’s a real shame Toyota never made it as a factory option…
I can fill all 4 39s in less then 8 minutes 😉
Pretty hard to do it any faster even with a CO2 tank.

I have an extra ARB twin sitting around. Is Slee the only engine mount option? I browsed through the thread and seems it’s either in the back quarter panel, cargo area, or a fancy York install. Ideas?
If you use google to search, you'll find a lot of mounting-LOCATION options, but most of them are custom fabs. I've seen them put in the PS battery location. A few threads...

I can fill all 4 39s in less then 8 minutes 😉
Pretty hard to do it any faster even with a CO2 tank.

lot of folks are focused on the air compressor output specs and not realizing that the dinky valve stem hole ain't that big. So, even if one has a MONDO air comp, she still ain't gonna fill up any faster unless the valve core is removed :rofl: \

I love seeing folks dragging out 3/8" air hoses for refilling tires when a 1/4" hose can do an adequate job. I have a york too and I usually end up filling the fastest but then I have to hang out and wait around for everyone else to get done so not a lot of point to filling tire the fastest IMHO. Same with tire deflation - some have the fancy deflators from AUS, so they just sit there and wait for everyone else to catch up. But hey, each to their own.

Best air hose is the coiled Nitto one I got some years ago. it's hard to find any better. I don't think Nitto makes them anymore.

lot of folks are focused on the air compressor output specs and not realizing that the dinky valve stem hole ain't that big. So, even if one has a MONDO air comp, she still ain't gonna fill up any faster unless the valve core is removed :rofl: \

I love seeing folks dragging out 3/8" air hoses for refilling tires when a 1/4" hose can do an adequate job. I have a york too and I usually end up filling the fastest but then I have to hang out and wait around for everyone else to get done so not a lot of point to filling tire the fastest IMHO. Same with tire deflation - some have the fancy deflators from AUS, so they just sit there and wait for everyone else to catch up. But hey, each to their own.

Maybe my misunderstanding but there are plenty of reasons why that’s not true and plenty of YouTube’s comparing compressors and even CO2 tanks that prove that’s not true.

As far as waiting, depends on the crew, no one in my crew waits, when you are aired up you go when you are aired down you go. Everyone will eventually catch up.

If you use google to search, you'll find a lot of mounting-LOCATION options, but most of them are custom fabs. I've seen them put in the PS battery location. A few threads...

Ya lots of mounting locations and options for non-80s. There is Slee and no-stock TorFab or DIY

I'd like to have a bigger air tank somewhere. The current compressor has a small tank that helps but probably could be supplemented with a bigger one though I suspect any decent size air tank has to mount not inside unless it is a long 'sausage' tank. My compressor is only on when I switch it on via the isolator switch accessible via the left side barn door as I don't have locker or a locomotive air horn (!) that needs a significant air. I don't have anything using the spare wheel space on the underside (and the spare wheel mount assembly itself is also gone).

Stock Puma on a Landcruiser Phil mount over the driver's rear wheel.

Are you talking about those large-diameter 'second stems' for fast inflate/deflate? Those seem like a good idea, in principle. They also look like rock magnets. Anyone have experience with those?

Are you talking about those large-diameter 'second stems' for fast inflate/deflate? Those seem like a good idea, in principle. They also look like rock magnets. Anyone have experience with those?
He's talking about one of these:
You use it to unscrew the core from the valve stem. I use one when airing down, very common here, didn't realize it wasn't common state-side. You can air down a tyre in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom