Official 37" and up picture thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have to disagree. I've run the Nitto's and the Wrangler MT Kevlars multiple times. Both are good tires. In fact the MTR Kevlar has been my favorite tire for several years and it performs great except on hardpack winter roads. However, I'm on my second set of the Toyo MT's because they have worked so well. I do thousands of offroad miles a year and the Toyo has had better traction, has been more durable, less understeer, better wear pattern and tread longevity, better in the winter and quieter. Only downside is the weight but I'm happy to deal with a heavy tire for the other performance benefits. They have surpassed the MTR as my favorite tire.
I agree. I have had my Cruiser since 97 and have run a bunch of all terrain and mud tires. Nothing compares to the Toyo MT for all around performance. The extra weight is worth it. The sidewalls seem bullet proof. I have cut the sidewalls on many ATs and MTs running over cedar stumps in the dark while hunting. Nothing quite as fun as changing a tire in the mud on a cold, rainy night. I have never cut the side wall on a Toyo MT and I have been running them for some time now. I also run mine at about 12 lbs off-road but I know people who run them at 8. The sidewalls are that stiff.

I have to disagree. I've run the Nitto's and the Wrangler MT Kevlars multiple times. Both are good tires. In fact the MTR Kevlar has been my favorite tire for several years and it performs great except on hardpack winter roads. However, I'm on my second set of the Toyo MT's because they have worked so well. I do thousands of offroad miles a year and the Toyo has had better traction, has been more durable, less understeer, better wear pattern and tread longevity, better in the winter and quieter. Only downside is the weight but I'm happy to deal with a heavy tire for the other performance benefits. They have surpassed the MTR as my favorite tire.

I am glad you have had good luck with these tires. My bad experiences were with the toyo at's and rt's so maybe the mt's are better. The rt's I just replaced last year only gave me 28,000 miles of use, were hard to balance, experienced 9 punctures, sucked in the mud, snow, ice, and they only measured 33 & 1/4" when new and installed on the truck even though they were "315/75/16" tires. The toyo at's were so small that they were a full 1" shorter than my 4 year old nitro spare that was also a "315/75/16" and bald....

The toyo rt's were about 8lbs lighter than the toyo mt's for the same size if I remember correctly. So they are probably a tougher tire.

Nonetheless, Toyo MT is not a tire that is common among the hardcore wheeling crowd. I see them more often on 4x4 pickups probably for their road manners.

Nonetheless, Toyo MT is not a tire that is common among the hardcore wheeling crowd. I see them more often on 4x4 pickups probably for their road manners.
That might be true. It's not the softest compound out there so it wouldn't surprise me that hardcore wheelers that are doing a bunch of slow-speed rockcrawling are looking to other options.
That said, there are many of the top Trophy Truck teams that run the Toyo MT so that should tell you something about the toughness and performance of the tire too. Baja is way harder on tires than rock crawling is.
All I can say is that for me and the wheeling I do (which I'd argue is more than the average 80 owner) it has been the best tire I've had overall. There are still other tires I like too that I would run again without hesitation but the Toyo is currently the first choice for me.

I am glad you have had good luck with these tires. My bad experiences were with the toyo at's and rt's so maybe the mt's are better. The rt's I just replaced last year only gave me 28,000 miles of use, were hard to balance, experienced 9 punctures, sucked in the mud, snow, ice, and they only measured 33 & 1/4" when new and installed on the truck even though they were "315/75/16" tires. The toyo at's were so small that they were a full 1" shorter than my 4 year old nitro spare that was also a "315/75/16" and bald....

The toyo rt's were about 8lbs lighter than the toyo mt's for the same size if I remember correctly. So they are probably a tougher tire.
Yeah, there's definitely a difference between the AT, RT, and the MT. I have the RT on my trailer, and even on the trailer they have been losing a few chunks on trips where the MT's show zero signs of wear.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Lots of great info on the Toyo's guys. As much as I love the pictures, I'm glad to see some good discussion going on regarding everyone's experiences with this and that as well as recommendations as to what psi to run.

All I can say is that for me and the wheeling I do (which I'd argue is more than the average 80 owner)
I don't think you'd need to argue that. Depends on how you'd define average, but I'd probably fall into that category in many senses (except likely way above average in money sunk into it :doh: ) and outside of going west maybe once a year and doing a handful of other "hard" trails local to me, 90% of my off road driving is on baby-tier graded dirt roads and "rocks" the size of deer turds. I flex on tree roots that you'd barely stub your toe on, come at me.

I only use mine for rock crawling when there is no other way to get there but I have probably taken it to the limit as far as what it can safely do. The whole reason I still have my 80 after all these years is because it is the most comfortable, reliable vehicle I can drive to get me where others cannot typically go and back home again. I would rate the Toyo MT the same way. It is tough as nails and it has great road manners. It is plenty sticky to rock climb as long as you are not extending the 80 to the point where you tear it up (body or mechanical damage). I am not wheeling to push it beyond that limit as I am almost always wheeling alone and don't want to walk home.

Sorry, I realize a bit beyond pictures with 37's but some good info on this thread for lifts as well.
With the hopes I might have my suspension in order in the next month or so(3"/3.5" VT Dobinson) I know I have a lot to tackle for bump stops and hopefully minor trimming. With that said where does everyone officially measure full travel from? Does this measure at the shock or spring? Is there a best target number to hit full travel and is this front and rear numbers? I think I have seen 12", but also thinking minor trimming NOT full fender and body removal to achieve this. Maybe with the great suspension writeup @GW Nugget can advise?

When I was running these Coopers on my 1st Gen Xterra they were amazing. We went wheeling in the mountains around San Diego in the rain. The terrain was slick rock and clay and in 2wd the Coopers held their own.

As far as running the 13.5 what did you do to get them to fit right? If I can get a good idea of how to run the 13.5 I probably will go with them instead of 12.5. I know @Box Rocket has put forth the effort to figure out the bump stops issues which I will probably use as a reference.

New member to the 37's club

Year - 95
Lift - 4" OME
Shocks - Fox 2.0
Bumpstops- Front and rear: 2" Slee
Body Lift - None
Trimming - None
Tires- 37 x 12.50 R17 Geolander MT G003
Rims- 17 x 9 Methos 307 Hole wheel
Spacers- No

View attachment 2575021

View attachment 2575022
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG

38’s now, replacing 37” STT Pro. Fuel economy is up 1 mpg and the Milestars roll so much better and are so much quieter.

Rounded tires like this and Trxus fit a lot easier than squared off tires, despite this being a 13.5” spec tire instead of 12.5”. I’m doing some minor tweaking of travel in the rear, but as of now won’t need any additional trimming.

D24A0972-D585-496F-A3E8-AF559EBE78CA.jpeg

49CB7052-D44E-471D-AD2D-66621C10A81A.jpeg

A17C7CCE-90FD-47AE-A17B-BD096B7729B0.jpeg

F743896A-2366-48A2-95F4-52DE5D03EF4D.jpeg

637FB992-BA5E-4C6E-89A2-B862FEA2E477.jpeg

We'll allow it

38’s now, replacing 37” STT Pro. Fuel economy is up 1 mpg and the Milestars roll so much better and are so much quieter.

Rounded tires like this and Trxus fit a lot easier than squared off tires, despite this being a 13.5” spec tire instead of 12.5”. I’m doing some minor tweaking of travel in the rear, but as of now won’t need any additional trimming.

View attachment 2652785

View attachment 2652786

View attachment 2652787

View attachment 2652788

View attachment 2652789
I'm digging the Patagonias as well (got them on 2 vehicles so far)

I'm digging the Patagonias as well (got them on 2 vehicles so far)
Third this, the patagonias are awesome! I had the 37x12.50r17 installed about a month and a half ago. 5k miles in and they ride well, are quiet, and are very good in the mud. The price helps too. They also stuff nicely as Nay stated.

nothing special but here is my dirt cheap build:
37x12.5r17 yokohama geolander M/t's steel 17x9's
2" homemade metal spacers, stock coil springs
cheap procomp 9000 shocks to allow more droop
2" lowered bumps front and rear.
well cut fenders. still needs more trimming in the rear. probably need less bump stop drop in the front.

wAXGtpy.jpg

xtn2YCq.jpg

stole the tires/rims from my other project, shocks at 50 bucks each and spacers made from scrap i had laying around.

39x13.50r17km3 mounted on 17x7.5 sequoia wheels with 1.25 wheel spacers. 2inch OME heavies and 30mm poly spacers. 1.25 bump stop spacers all around. Fabbed up 40 inch wheel tubs in the rear.

IMG_20210620_123956_425.jpg

IMG_20210620_123956_436.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-215306_Gallery.jpg

39x13.50r17km3 mounted on 17x7.5 sequoia wheels with 1.25 wheel spacers. 2inch OME heavies and 30mm poly spacers. 1.25 bump stop spacers all around. Fabbed up 40 inch wheel tubs in the rear.

View attachment 2812782

View attachment 2812783

View attachment 2812784
right on! that base color and tubbed rear is exactly the direction i was thinking of going. do you have more pictures of the fenderwell work anywhere? did you lengthen the rear control arms at all to keep the 39 out of the door? as you can tell i really dont have much exterior finish to protect on mine so i might as well hack it up to keep it low.

right on! that base color and tubbed rear is exactly the direction i was thinking of going. do you have more pictures of the fenderwell work anywhere? did you lengthen the rear control arms at all to keep the 39 out of the door? as you can tell i really dont have much exterior finish to protect on mine so i might as well hack it up to keep it low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom