New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 80 series has a 2" rake in the body lines. Meaning if both fender measurements are the same it will still have a nose down look to it.
I can provide pics & video if needed. It's in my build thread.

Last edited:
Tons of good info. Thank you. I'm seeing the word heavy used but no actual weights. I'm right around 6k full armor 10k winch 35" spare and by reading I'm guessing I would see a solid +3". I'm currently running the icon "stage1" its says it's a 3" but I'm seeing 23" hub to fender on all four corners.
Are my assumptions correct that I'll get 3" out of this? I plan on drawers and a fridge in the next month also.
P.S. Does anyone know who has these in Stock?

Tons of good info. Thank you. I'm seeing the word heavy used but no actual weights. I'm right around 6k full armor 10k winch 35" spare and by reading I'm guessing I would see a solid +3". I'm currently running the icon "stage1" its says it's a 3" but I'm seeing 23" hub to fender on all four corners.
Are my assumptions correct that I'll get 3" out of this? I plan on drawers and a fridge in the next month also.
P.S. Does anyone know who has these in Stock?
Are you talking about the rear or front? There are 4 different coils in the VT series. If you are on a stage 1 IVD coil front and rear, what problems are you trying to solve going with the VT Dobi coils?

Quoted lift heights from suspension manufacturers typically correlate to hub to flare on the 80 in that you add roughly 20” to the quoted lift. (A 23” hub to flare is about a 3” lift from stock) So sounds like you are on par with your IVD lift.

Are you talking about the rear or front? There are 4 different coils in the VT series. If you are on a stage 1 IVD coil front and rear, what problems are you trying to solve going with the VT Dobi coils?

Quoted lift heights from suspension manufacturers typically correlate to hub to flare on the 80 in that you add roughly 20” to the quoted lift. (A 23” hub to flare is about a 3” lift from stock) So sounds like you are on par with your IVD lift.
Well a few people on this thread have stated stock height to be F21.25" and R20.5" I believe I'm a bit under 3". With what the thread had spelled out the seems the C97-146/147 would be a good 3-4" lift with my current weight. Already have all the extended lines, looks like I just need to order a DC front shaft and decide what shocks or bypasses I'm gonna get. And find the springs in stock.

I have read the entire thread and need some help. I am looking at upgrading my shocks to the Dobinsons MRAs. I currently have Slee 4” coils with the rear being the HD progressives. I am pretty heavy, but have no idea on weight (front rear bumpers, dual group 31 batteries up front, warn 12000 LB winch w/ synthetic, fridge and cargo drawers in the rear. Drawers probably have a few hundred pounds in them. 115lb RTT. Also run three full jerry cans on the rear bumper on many of my back country trips. I have been happy with the Slee springs and Icon 2.0 4”-6” shocks. It is just time for me to move up to better shocks, with more adjustability and less fade in the long days in the desert.

I am trying to figure out if I should go with the 4” or 6” MRA shocks. Since it is a slippery slope, I am also considering swapping the springs: C97-144VT (front) and C97-145VT (rear). I worry that the rear won’t handle the weight as well as my Slee heavies. I worry that if I keep the Slee coils and go with the 6”shocks that I might lose a spring when wheeling. I did just move up to 37s and have lowered bump stops 2” in front and 2.5” in rear. The 4” MRA shocks have lower extended length than my current icons but the 6” MRA have more and I worry they will be too much.

@baldilocks did you ever switch back to the Slee progressives in the rear? Sounds like our trucks are pretty similar and what you have learned through all of this could be very helpful for me.

I figure I have four options:

- run current Slee coils with 4” MRA shocks
- run current Slee coils with 6” MRA shocks
- run 144VT coils with 6” MRA shocks up front and keep Slee HD coils in rear and pair with MRA 4” shocks.
- swap front/rear coils to 144VT/145VT and run 6” MRA shocks all around

Will I really see any benefit in the Dobinsons tapered with 6” shocks over the Slee 4” with 4” shocks up front? I ask this as I know the radius arms are a limiting factor and might negate any extra travel from the Dobinsons combo. In case it matters, I have the last generation of the Slee tubular radius arms.

I like the height I have now with the Slee coils and would like to stay around this height. .05” in either direction would be fine.

Any thoughts on these options from those of you that have experience with these coils?

Thank you in advance!

Smitty
45D90967-224D-4152-92CB-58EECA6FDB90.jpeg

Last edited:
I have read the entire thread and need some help. I am looking at upgrading my shocks to the Dobinsons MRAs. I currently have Slee 4” coils with the rear being the HD progressives. I am pretty heavy, but have no idea on weight (front rear bumpers, dual group 31 batteries up front, warn 12000 LB winch w/ synthetic, fridge and cargo drawers in the rear. Drawers probably have a few hundred pounds in them. 115lb RTT. Also run three full jerry cans on the rear bumper on many of my back country trips. I have been happy with the Slee springs and Icon 2.0 4”-6” shocks. It is just time for me to move up to better shocks, with more adjustability and less fade in the long days in the desert.

I am trying to figure out if I should go with the 4” or 6” MRA shocks. Since it is a slippery slope, I am also considering swapping the springs: C97-144VT (front) and C97-145VT (rear). I worry that the rear won’t handle the weight as well as my Slee heavies. I worry that if I keep the Slee coils and go with the 6”shocks that I might lose a spring when wheeling. I did just move up to 37s and have lowered bump stops 2” in front and 2.5” in rear. The 4” MRA shocks have lower extended length than my current icons but the 6” MRA have more and I worry they will be too much.

@baldilocks did you ever switch back to the Slee progressives in the rear? Sounds like our trucks are pretty similar and what you have learned through all of this could be very helpful for me.

I figure I have four options:

- run current Slee coils with 4” MRA shocks
- run current Slee coils with 6” MRA shocks
- run 144VT coils with 6” MRA shocks up front and keep Slee HD coils in rear and pair with MRA 4” shocks.
- swap front/rear coils to 144VT/145VT and run 6” MRA shocks all around

Will I really see any benefit in the Dobinsons tapered with 6” shocks over the Slee 4” with 4” shocks up front? I ask this as I know the radius arms are a limiting factor and might negate any extra travel from the Dobinsons combo. In case it matters, I have the last generation of the Slee tubular radius arms.

I like the height I have now with the Slee coils and would like to stay around this height. .05” in either direction would be fine.

Any thoughts on these options from those of you that have experience with these coils?

Thank you in advance!

SmittyView attachment 2752538
By the looks of it, your rig is heavier than mine based on the tire to fender clearance and also your equipment list includes stuff I don’t have.

I went back to the Slee heavy progressive’s in the rear. We just did some of the Rubicon and I can tell you I’m much happier with the Slee’s. So happy, infact, that’s as I drove the trail I considered getting a set of slee fronts (I sold the ones I had a few years ago). The VT’s won’t hold your load comfortable and ground clearance will be lost.

For me, the 37” tires dictate bump stop drop not the 6” front shocks. I’ve only ever ran 4” shock in the rear because a 6” shock back there will net you less than an inch more down travel until the spring is free and that does you no good.

Your rig is not set up for crawling big enough rocks with all that weight and exterior stuff up on the roof so I would, without doubt, suggest staying with the Slee coils and running a good 4” shock.

I haven’t been able to talk myself into spending the money for good adjustable shocks so I installed a set of Ironman Foam Cell Pro shock’s a couple months ago. They are an upgrade from any of the yellow shocks I’ve ran before and probably the best shocks I’ve ever gotten myself to spring for. (No puns intended)

I stopped after one hour of constant driving on the Rubicon this morning at about 72-75 degrees ambient and the infrared thermometer showed the hottest shock to be 120 and the coolest rear to be 105 and there was no noticeable fade. They claim these shock contain enough oil to never fade. We shall see.

My two Cents, There no need to run a 6" shock in less your running a taller then 4" lift.

If anyone is interested I have a front set of the 6" dobinson yellow shocks. Like new less then 200 miles on them. Pm me

By the looks of it, your rig is heavier than mine based on the tire to fender clearance and also your equipment list includes stuff I don’t have.

I went back to the Slee heavy progressive’s in the rear. We just did some of the Rubicon and I can tell you I’m much happier with the Slee’s. So happy, infact, that’s as I drove the trail I considered getting a set of slee fronts (I sold the ones I had a few years ago). The VT’s won’t hold your load comfortable and ground clearance will be lost.

For me, the 37” tires dictate bump stop drop not the 6” front shocks. I’ve only ever ran 4” shock in the rear because a 6” shock back there will net you less than an inch more down travel until the spring is free and that does you no good.

Your rig is not set up for crawling big enough rocks with all that weight and exterior stuff up on the roof so I would, without doubt, suggest staying with the Slee coils and running a good 4” shock.

I haven’t been able to talk myself into spending the money for good adjustable shocks so I installed a set of Ironman Foam Cell Pro shock’s a couple months ago. They are an upgrade from any of the yellow shocks I’ve ran before and probably the best shocks I’ve ever gotten myself to spring for. (No puns intended)

I stopped after one hour of constant driving on the Rubicon this morning at about 72-75 degrees ambient and the infrared thermometer showed the hottest shock to be 120 and the coolest rear to be 105 and there was no noticeable fade. They claim these shock contain enough oil to never fade. We shall see.
Option #1 in my post above is where I was leaning. I am very happy with the Slee coils and didn't think that they should be replaced. The 4" shock seemed to make the most sense but I wanted some other opinions before pulling the trigger to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thank you.

I have done Hole in the Rock Trail a few times (fully loaded) and thousands of miles off road with the Slee coils and they have been super solid. Any idea what your hub to fender measurements are with the 144VTs up front and the Slee HD in the rear? My 80 is in a storage unit in SLC right now so I can't measure, but plan to do so next month when I take it out for a trip. I am curious how yours sits compared to mine

I actually had the original 4" foam cell shocks years ago and was VERY happy with their performance. My only complaint was longevity as they didn’t really last but maybe 30k miles. I never noticed fade with them like I have with the Icon 2.0s and the OME Nitro sports that I have used in the past. I am ready for the adjustability and think the MRAs fit the bill.

Smitty

Option #1 in my post above is where I was leaning. I am very happy with the Slee coils and didn't think that they should be replaced. The 4" shock seemed to make the most sense but I wanted some other opinions before pulling the trigger to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thank you.

I have done Hole in the Rock Trail a few times (fully loaded) and thousands of miles off road with the Slee coils and they have been super solid. Any idea what your hub to fender measurements are with the 144VTs up front and the Slee HD in the rear? My 80 is in a storage unit in SLC right now so I can't measure, but plan to do so next month when I take it out for a trip. I am curious how yours sits compared to mine

I actually had the original 4" foam cell shocks years ago and was VERY happy with their performance. My only complaint was longevity as they didn’t really last but maybe 30k miles. I never noticed fade with them like I have with the Icon 2.0s and the OME Nitro sports that I have used in the past. I am ready for the adjustability and think the MRAs fit the bill.

Smitty
I’m on my way home from CÁ right now by can take measurements in a day or two. If my memory serve me, hub to fender up front is 24.5. That’s the 3.5 tapered coils with a 1” spacer to match the Slee rears.

Last edited:
Ordered the 2.5" long travel kit from Dobinson's back in May which included the C97-146VT front springs and C97-147VT rears. Below is a pic of how they currently sit. I'm running 315/75r16 KO2s. The front from the center of the hub to wheel arch measures ~23 1/8" and the rears measure ~25 1/2". Not really a fan of the stink bug look and I don't plan on hauling too much weight in the back so I'm probably gonna swap the rears out for some lighter springs.
20211025_101435.jpg

25.5" in the rear is 5.5" of lift for a 2" spec coil. I hold my comments...

@dzl40 the blue 80 is a rare bird to see, I like it very much, keep it clean.

25.5" in the rear is 5.5" of lift for a 2" spec coil. I hold my comments...

@dzl40 the blue 80 is a rare bird to see, I like it very much, keep it clean.
Not necessarily. Plenty of members have reported 20.5-21” on stock suspension. Some sag out more than others.

Ordered the 2.5" long travel kit from Dobinson's back in May which included the C97-146VT front springs and C97-147VT rears. Below is a pic of how they currently sit. I'm running 315/75r16 KO2s. The front from the center of the hub to wheel arch measures ~23 1/8" and the rears measure ~25 1/2". Not really a fan of the stink bug look and I don't plan on hauling too much weight in the back so I'm probably gonna swap the rears out for some lighter springs.View attachment 2821085
Ask Dobbinson about it. Those rear coils may have been mislabeled.

25.5" in the rear is 5.5" of lift for a 2" spec coil.
The 2" spec is with an additional 400lbs in the rear. No wonder he is high.

So with my 144s and 145s, I ended up with 25" in the front and 24.75-ish" in the rear. To me it looks like it sits pretty level. I conveniently somehow managed to cut out the bumpers in this picture but it's got the front bumper/winch/dual batteries and the rear has the bumper, receiver hitch, swingout with hi-lift, spare, jerry can holder and recover boards. Also had all my tools and a fridge in the back.

IMG_5089.JPG

Not necessarily. Plenty of members have reported 20.5-21” on stock suspension. Some sag out more than others.
20" is a general rule of thumb & I have asked many people to give me the bump stop spec measurements, fender measurement plus the front panhrd measurement & it has come out very consistently the 20" bottom of fender to center of hub is a solid measurement to trust as original stock height.

We might ask @David Otero or @crikeymike what stock height is.
Has anyone get specs on these coils yet?
@LC4LIFE where did you get the 400 extra pound number from?

Last edited:
20" is a general rule of thumb & I have asked many people to give me the bump stop spec measurements, fender measurement plus the front panhrd measurement & it has come out very consistently the 20" bottom of fender to center of hub is a solid measurement to trust as original stock height.

Has anyone get specs on these coils yet?
@LC4LIFE where did you get the 400 extra pound number from?
Its right on the Dobs site. Dobinsons VT series Dual Rate Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1990-1997 (2 - https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinsons-variable-rate-tapered-coil-springs-for-toyota-land-cruiser-80-series-1990-1997-2-rear

I've used 20" front and 21" rear as stock height, but I know there's a debate about what real OE was, and also different models around the world coming in at different heights when new is also something I heard of. No doubt about it, Dobinsons will always lift on the taller side of the scale, but without added weight, the VT coils are overkill in my opinion. I only like to sell them for heavier rigs.

I don't have the actual specs of them, sorry. Not since they changed.

Ordered the 2.5" long travel kit from Dobinson's back in May which included the C97-146VT front springs and C97-147VT rears. Below is a pic of how they currently sit. I'm running 315/75r16 KO2s. The front from the center of the hub to wheel arch measures ~23 1/8" and the rears measure ~25 1/2". Not really a fan of the stink bug look and I don't plan on hauling too much weight in the back so I'm probably gonna swap the rears out for some lighter springs.View attachment 2821085
That's a nice looking rig! I see it's an import, with an OEM rear tire carrier. It looks really nice. Is that the original paint, and if so can you share with us the paint code? It looks similar too, but a bit different than, my Nightshadow Pearl rig, which is paint code 8K0 (that's a final zero, not the letter O.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom