New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: the shocks in the fronts actually have 3” of down travel and 7” of up travel. When we flexed on the forklift we actually got it to sit on the bumps and the shocks still had about an inch of squish left in them. I’m super surprised how much this thing flexed with the little down travel it has, we got the forks up to 35”.
32FF84BD-9555-4721-9A4F-359EDD0FAF7B.jpeg

267DED7D-E502-496A-B562-2C0CEA3FA9AC.jpeg

9CE49423-A48B-4EB9-9821-2DB0CC2159EF.jpeg

Looking at getting a set of these new vt springs but is a heavy vehicle. 105 series cruiser but uses all the 80 suspension and springs and stuff

total weight: roughly 3.2t (7000 pounds) daily mode. Probably 3.5-3.7t (7700-8050 pounds )fully loaded
Rear axle weight about 2.1-2.2t
Front about 1.2t

looking for about 2-3 inch of lift and 4” mra shocks. Question is will the springs handle this weight and what Haight would it sit at? Also which of the springs would achieve this, whether it be the 2-2.5 or the 3-3.5

would the be any other variable springs that would be just as good?

cheers

Looking at getting a set of these new vt springs but is a heavy vehicle. 105 series cruiser but uses all the 80 suspension and springs and stuff

total weight: roughly 3.2t (7000 pounds) daily mode. Probably 3.5-3.7t (7700-8050 pounds )fully loaded
Front about 1.2t

looking for about 2-3 inch of lift and 4” mra shocks. Question is will the springs handle this weight and what Haight would it sit at? Also which of the springs would achieve this, whether it be the 2-2.5 or the 3-3.5

cheers

From reading this entire thread, I'm going to guess that the overwhelming majority will say:
C97-146VT 2.5" FRont
C97-147VT 2.0" REAR
If you haven't done so, read this entire thread as it is very informative w/o a lot of "noise".

Front about 1.2t

cheers
Hey mate. With that sort of total weight on the vehicle, I'm gonna say that a variable rate coil won't work properly for you. You'd be better off with a constant load linear rate coil. I've had some heavy dudes in the past in Latin America try the variable rate coils and once you hit a certain total weight, you just won't see the benefits of them because the truck will mostly only use the heavier rate of the coil. I'd reach out to the Dobinsons distributor there in SA or call up to Rockhampton and get their opinion, since you've got so much weight on it, and I'm quite sure they'll suggest a linear rate coil.

From reading this entire thread, I'm going to guess that the overwhelming majority will say:
C97-146VT 2.5" FRont
C97-147VT 2.0" REAR
If you haven't done so, read this entire thread as it is very informative w/o a lot of "noise".
yeah cheers mate, was just curious with all my wight whether it turn those springs to like 1" of whether they'd hold the weight and give the advertised lift.

Hey mate. With that sort of total weight on the vehicle, I'm gonna say that a variable rate coil won't work properly for you. You'd be better off with a constant load linear rate coil. I've had some heavy dudes in the past in Latin America try the variable rate coils and once you hit a certain total weight, you just won't see the benefits of them because the truck will mostly only use the heavier rate of the coil. I'd reach out to the Dobinsons distributor there in SA or call up to Rockhampton and get their opinion, since you've got so much weight on it, and I'm quite sure they'll suggest a linear rate coil.
yeah fair enough mate, was surprised when i put it on the scales and want to drop a lot of weight off it. I had better give them a call when i get back from work, cheers.

Still keen on hearing how everyone is going with them as it might be a possibility when the rig looses some weight.

My input, weight is the key variable with these coils when aiming for a final ride height. I’ve been running the basic Ironman 2” kit for a year and a half on what started as a light rig. It was the cheapest suspension I could find that would get the truck drivable and I picked up some lightly used 1st gen 146’s and 147’s knowing that I’d be adding bumpers and sliders. After the sliders and front bumper & winch I was sitting at 22” up front and 23.5” out back so a pretty steep stink bug without spacers. Drivability with Landtank 2.5” plates and DVS Rear Lift bracket was great so I had my mind set on a final lift height of 23” in a perfect world.

I just installed the 146’s up front and they jumped me up to 23.9” on the DS and 23.5” on the PS. I’m probably still light for these springs to get the advertised lift height of 2.5” - 3” but man are they nice. It seems like the first couple of inches of compression are buttery smooth so I don’t feel road imperfections like I used to.

Hey, did I miss it or has anyone fitted up a set of the 2.5" 146/147VT yet.
Looking for how much they actually net. Guessing 1" more then advertised.

In the process of installing C97-146/147VT's and MRA shocks - will report back on now it all works out.

Front's are In and will be doing the rears this weekend.

Unsure how to validate if I got the old VT's vs the new.
Waiting for you report with pics.

After the sliders and front bumper & winch I was sitting at 22” up front and 23.5” out back so a pretty steep stink bug without spacers.

What were you height #s before the heavy stuff were added?

What were you height #s before the heavy stuff were added?
Those numbers were with Iron Man 2", I came down in the front from 22.5" to 22" with the bumper and winch. The VT's raised me up to 23.5 - 23.8" up front, these are the gen 1 VT's not the new ones

Last edited:
Hey, did I miss it or has anyone fitted up a set of the 2.5" 146/147VT yet.
Looking for how much they actually net. Guessing 1" more then advertised.
Hey sorry this took longer than expected due to a theft of my rear setup before I got it installed.

I’m getting about 1/2 - 1” more than rated but my truck is fairly light at around 6000 lbs.

Still getting it dialed in as I’m awaiting the new 3” delta arms and I’ve heavy sway bars in the garage awaiting install as well.

initial report is I really like them - they soak up s***ty roads a lot better then my OME setup did.

9E3B527B-5B8D-427E-B1AF-6DFED783887A.jpeg

Ew, stinkbug.
When you get to flat ground will you post up center of hub to bottom of flare measurements please.
Thanks.

Happy Trails

Yea she's pretty nose heavy - bumper, 12K winch and dual group 31's.

Once it all gets settled and the new Radius arms and swaybars are on I'll take some measurements and put some spacers on it.

Nothing wrong with a little stink bug, that way when you load it up it well sit level 😉
Ha ha

Ew, stinkbug.
When you get to flat ground will you post up center of hub to bottom of flare measurements please.
Thanks.

Happy Trails
Stink bug is necessary and built into all cars from the factory. Load it and be level not dragging your rear end off of everything. I’m a huge proponent of the stink for heavy loads. Plus it looks manly and aggressive. ✌🏻

It's actually within about 1/2" when unloaded - I've plans for an aux tank in the future as well so it may be just fine once all the bits and bobs are in.

Main priority is get the radius arms in and off of 0* caster - makes it a little twitchy.

Till then I'll just continue to wag my ass in the air. :lol:

[Edit] : 24" at the rear and 23" at the front - so an inch of stinky.

Last edited:
[Edit] : 24" at the rear and 23" at the front - so an inch of stinky.

Remember, the wheel well opening on the front is a tad bit higher than the wheel well opening in the rear. So a level stance doesn't necessarily mean the same number front and rear I don't think but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Remember, the wheel well opening on the front is a tad bit higher than the wheel well opening in the rear. So a level stance doesn't necessarily mean the same number front and rear I don't think but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I was 21.25 front and 20.5 rear stock to the wheel wells. Fronts are definitely a little bit higher.

I was 21.25 front and 20.5 rear stock to the wheel wells. Fronts are definitely a little bit higher.

So the front opening sits one inch higher than the rear, interesting.

Don't recall anyone posting results for a setup similar to what I'm running, so thought I'd add to the data here for posterity.

The truck: HDJ81 with dual batteries, Slee front bumper, winch, intercooler, factory rear tire carrier, rear seats removed, no camping or other gear in the back

Springs: C97-144VT (front) and C97-145VT (rear)

Hub center to flare lip results: Front 24", Rear 25"

Random installation pic after abuse of ratchet straps, spring compression tools, pry bars, and rubber mallets
dobinsons.jpeg

Looks like 2 coils touching, maybe a slight kiss from the 3rd. No noise at all. Had to use silencers on my previous Icon springs.
dobinsons2.jpeg

Haven't driven much or loaded the truck for camping yet, but so far the ride feels great as others have reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom