My turbo Lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody! I thought I'd post up and pics and info on my FJ80. I have been on here for countless hours the last 6 months after purchasing my 80 and have learned so much valuable FJ80 specific information. I appreciate all of the time and effort that has been put into making all of this information available on this site.
I bought my 80 in January from a good friend who has been a professional race mechanic for well over a decade. He usually owns 7-10 vehicles at a time from classic american and track ready Bmw's to Fj60's, 80's, jeeps. We have bought and sold multiple cars to each other and countless parts. He stripped the exterior trim, installed the louvers, bumpers and painted it. He did tons of maintenance work, installed steel wheels and the nitto's on it along with dobinsons springs, shocks, adjustable bars etc. I stopped by his house one day and this was in the driveway

I wanted it bad so we made a deal!
It now has 239k miles and is triple locked.

I changed the springs from the soft ride dobinsons to the 3.5" tapered and the springs are great. Rides nice and can take the weight of kids, gear, rooftop tent, tools, water, dog all the camping shiitake. Also installed 4.88 gears, CB radio, alpine head unit, cell phone signal booster, and the enkei wheels

next on the list is repairing the charcoal canister and install an additional fuse block to power the CB, Ham, and a couple usb outlets.

I put together a turbo kit using the CX racing manifold, downpipe and a T67 turbo with a .81 ar exhaust housing. I installed a split second enricher which works perfectly under closed loop. It maintains 11.6-12:1 afr from .5psi to 6psi (wastegate spring is 6psi), even though cx racing is china made its pretty good. I had a 1990 325is bmw and ran a cx racing manifold and turbo with a standalone and made over 400whp at 25psi with e85 and never had an issue in the 20k miles I put on it, other than head gaskets! I eventually oringed the block and never had a head gasket problem again. I will o ring the block of the 80 if the head gasket goes along with going standalone and a 5 speed swap!

Here it is today in its natural habitat

My sons Jackson (6) and Bennett (3) have been having a blast! We live about 75 miles from the Anza borrego and 80 miles from Big bear lake, so we can do over nighters often.

Anyway, Thanks guys! I look forward to owning the 80 for years and posting up our adventures!

Last edited:
I disagree, it basically guarantees head gasket reliability, and cost almost nothing. Driving hundreds of miles off road in the California desert it would give huge piece of mind.

I LOVE those wheels.

can we get a few more pics under the hood plz.

The split second enricher how is this setup? Did you try without the piggy back?

I'll take some more under hood pics in the morning.

The enricher has a pressure sensor and a potentiometer, it is wired in between the front o2 sensor and the ECU, it is super easy and simple to install. It basically makes the ecu think it is running lean so it increases the fuel trim. I have a wideband installed and drove it a bit before turning on the enricher and the ecu does a good job keeping it at 14.7:1 afr under part throttle and low boost which on a long grade could potentially be catastrophic. The enricher activation is adjustable, I set it at 0.5psi and it stays on until it is under vacuum again for about 2 seconds. I am going to try a smaller exhaust housing in the near future and see if it can keep up without a check engine light. looking at my obdII scan tool the long term fuel trim is at about 14.5%. I have read that over 19% it will throw a code. I have driven about 125 miles around town and some freeway and no codes and perfect AFR's, it gets down for 10.5:1 under full throttle and boost which means I could up the pressure!

I plan on installing a water to air intercooler as well, I wanted to get it dialed in on low boost before adding to the system. reliability is important since we go so far into the desert on our trips.

Mark at split second is a very intelligent individual, he also said they are working on a MAF conversion for the OBDI 80's.

The turbo makes a huge difference. It went from being a big ole pig to a accelerating like a modern vehicle, no problem going 90mph (on a closed circuit of course).

And it's all smog legal and so on? Cute kid. Reminds me of my oldest boy.

Btw you should head to the hammers like a real man

I disagree, it basically guarantees head gasket reliability, and cost almost nothing. Driving hundreds of miles off road in the California desert it would give huge piece of mind.
I wouldn't argue with your boy @scottryana on this topic. And o rings are not going to reduce maintenance

I wouldn't argue with your boy @scottryana on this topic. And o rings are not going to reduce maintenance

Well they do greatly reduce the chances of head gasket failure due to increased cylinder pressure, not sure what you mean in regards to maintenance. I've read a lot of scottryanas posts, I don't know his history but he seems to be knowledgeable about turbo 80s and letting everyone know that his knowledgeable about turbo 80s.

Well they do greatly reduce the chances of head gasket failure due to increased cylinder pressure, not sure what you mean in regards to maintenance. I've read a lot of scottryanas posts, I don't know his history but he seems to be knowledgeable about turbo 80s and letting everyone know that his knowledgeable about turbo 80s.
I know a thing or two about head gaskets ok

The reason it is not necessary is unless you are getting copper head gaskets made, o-ringing a stock fibrous headgasket is going to be weaker than using a MLS head gasket like Cometic. But it is also unnecessary considering your boost levels to use anything more than the stock OEM head gasket. But this game is all about doing things new, if a custom copper head gasket and o-rings is what you want. I say go for it.

The grooves are cut so the wire pushes right in the middle of the aluminum fire ring of the stock gasket not the fibrous part. Worked awesome on my BMW and other turbo bimmers, the m20b25 and s50/52 BMW engines have water channels incredibly close to the cylinders so cometics leak between the layers and then end up pressurizing the cooling system. Just applying proven modifications. Anyway, higher pressure is in the future. Thanks for the input

Haha yeah I know where the o-ring goes just saying these are not BMW engines there is a lot of room between cylinders and water jackets. The Cometics/ARP combo holds almost 50psi with the guys in the middle east. But they are not really much into finesse just brute force.

If it works for you and you want to give it a shot I think go for it. I just don't really see the need on this engine. The BMW engines obviously had a need.

The grooves are cut so the wire pushes right in the middle of the aluminum fire ring of the stock gasket not the fibrous part. Worked awesome on my BMW and other turbo bimmers, the m20b25 and s50/52 BMW engines have water channels incredibly close to the cylinders so cometics leak between the layers and then end up pressurizing the cooling system. Just applying applied proven modifications. Anyway, higher pressure is in the future. Thanks for the input

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom