Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did the PO win? 😆

Good job on build. Like the trim stuff around the door opening. Not sure about the foam though between steps and rockers due to potential water retention.

My only experience with a rental car in the Caribbean (I know, not Mexico) was on St. Croix, and the cars driver window got smashed parked at a local beach. Fortunately we didn’t have anything in the car, but the insurance deductible was $500 😞. The local police recommend not keeping anything of value in your car and the doors unlocked and windows down, Don’t know about vehicle theft though. FWTW.

Did the PO win? 😆

Good job on build. Like the trim stuff around the door opening. Not sure about the foam though between steps and rockers due to potential water retention.

My only experience with a rental car in the Caribbean (I know, not Mexico) was on St. Croix, and the cars driver window got smashed parked at a local beach. Fortunately we didn’t have anything in the car, but the insurance deductible was $500 😞. The local police recommend not keeping anything of value in your car and the doors unlocked and windows down, Don’t know about vehicle theft though. FWTW.

No, he didn't. Good point about the water retention. I will rectify before rain season.

Regarding car break-ins, I am more worried about it happening in a remote place, like base before a hike or bike ride. I always bring some stuff that I invariably keep in the car: small battery for jump starting car, tyre pump, bike tools, a more complete first aid kit and other things that I keep for peace of mind.

I also plan on covering the rear with a rubber cover so the rear hatch door is hidden.

One can only take theoretical precautions, when they want to break in, they will break in.

Update time whilst sipping a Mezcal.

My truck left the body shop with still a few details to go but, honestly, I felt like the guy needed a break and so did I. They're details we will address later and quicker.

The bottom is looking good! The body is looking good too.

This last leg is to it's before last: mounting all mechanical accessories before electrician works his magic.

IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2954.jpg

Here are the two fine gentlemen that did all of the paint and body work: Alexis, the apprentice and Chente, the teacher.

IMG_2960.jpg

Update time whilst sipping a Mezcal.

My truck left the body shop with still a few details to go but, honestly, I felt like the guy needed a break and so did I. They're details we will address later and quicker.

The bottom is looking good! The body is looking good too.

This last leg is to it's before last: mounting all mechanical accessories before electrician works his magic.

View attachment 2674511View attachment 2674512

Here are the two fine gentlemen that did all of the paint and body work: Alexis, the apprentice and Chente, the teacher.

View attachment 2674513
It’s looking good! Buen trabajo! I think a lot of us can relate to the project fatigue, sometimes it’s good to take a break.

Update time, @middlecalf you may find this interesting: SEATS.

First of all I had to properly restore the seats themselves. The front passenger bench mas missing a spring and also had some broken ones. The frame that sits on the springs was also broken. I also managed to rescue some of the original screws and washers.
Driver's seat and rear jump seats were in VERY decent shape. Even the bottom rubbers that sit on the wheel well.

IMG_3634.jpg
IMG_3854.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

First of all, I was lucky enough to have the original seats, which made it a whole lot easier for the upholsterer, Sr. Javier. Check out his 80's themed workshop...

IMG_3734.jpg

This is the original back rest.

IMG_3631.jpg

I love how the corners were exposed and there were breathing eyelets.

IMG_3629.jpg

Even rear jump seat original covers.

IMG_3624.jpg

They still had their coconut fiber. That's no longer procurable here in Mexico, so I had to go the foam way...

IMG_3626.jpg

I installed the rear jump seats and the passenger bench today.
IMG_4929.jpg
IMG_4934.jpg
IMG_4936.jpg

Original screws visible.
IMG_4948.jpg

Gave this bad boy a tug to list the seat... tip came right off... Will have to rivet it on apparently.
AND I managed to scrape the bottom in spite of having it somewhat protected and loading and unloading carefully...G´dmit.

IMG_4947.jpg

Now, work on the car:

Breaks were checked again, they're fine. break and clutch cylinders installed.

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

Installed these bad boys and the work GREAT, so far...
IMG_4957.jpg

Accelerator linkage rebuilt locally and installed. I find this amazing craftsmanship, honestly.

IMG_4940.jpg

And just wanted to share some detail on the exhaust clamp:

IMG_3590.jpg

Last edited:
These two hoses from the oil filter run dangerously close to the exhaust manifold. Can anyone please suggest a solution? I do believe they will burn.
IMG_3569.jpg

Here's more detail of this problem:

IMG_4942.jpg

Also, loving my original carb which ONLY says Aisan, no numbers to figure out date... Note Mark's amazing carb base. Cheers @65swb45 !!
IMG_3585.jpg

It’s looking good! Buen trabajo! I think a lot of us can relate to the project fatigue, sometimes it’s good to take a break.

Thanks man! The guy's been working 19 months on the body... I think a break was long due. His heart wasn't in it anymore. We will finish details when the time comes, with renewed energy and better perspective.

Does anyone know what the holes above the ashtray are for? I know one is for the panic bar... but the other two?

Also, confused about the hole next to the throttle... I also realize my Front Drive knob is period incorrect, should be the larger one, anyone wanna trade?

IMG_4954.jpg

Mark's rear direction light brackets are perfect BUT they had to be lightly separated from the rear bumper so they wouldn't hit the body...is my body askew?

IMG_4955.jpg

Check the detail of the lock on the rear inner handle: WOW. Only the left one has it. The right one just has a hole...

IMG_4962.jpg

This pintle hook I got for $15 at a garage sale in Phoenix. Need the round bits to hold the chain.

IMG_4956.jpg

And a final shot of this girl's booty. The 4 Wheel Drive emblem is the original one, it's really annoying to screw it on because it's "legs" are so long...

IMG_4967.jpg

Last edited:
Can those light brackets mount on the inside of the bumper? I need to see if I have a tailgate lock, don’t recall ever looking 😆.

on edit - both my sides have locks. Never paid attention to that detail

Last edited:
My front license plate holder was mostly OEM but had been poorly repaired.

Chente worked his magic, this is his work 100% and I cannot take credit for it:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 16.12.13.jpeg

The "base" was a lump of iron just welded on.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 16.12.17.jpeg

Chente worked his magic:

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 16.12.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 16.21.46.jpeg

And done. I love working with passionate professionals.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 16.12.20.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom