Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taillight brackets mount inside the frame.😉

Taillight brackets mount inside the frame.😉
They go under the body then. Thanks Mark.

Could you please help me with my question about the material or proper location of the hoses to and from the oil filter? They might melt as they run too close to the exhaust manifold in my opinion....

Cheers,

J

They go under the body then. Thanks Mark.

Could you please help me with my question about the material or proper location of the hoses to and from the oil filter? They might melt as they run too close to the exhaust manifold in my opinion....

Cheers,

J
The only ‘solution’ to the hose situation other than a shield is to buy stainless replacement ones. AFAIK, only SOR offers that.

Heating is done.
I learnt so much. This is obvious to many but the heater inside runs with water form the engine. It is basically a fan/blower that pushes air though what is basically a little radiator. This makes me incredibly nervous as I see it a a potential added leak that may drain water from the engine. On the bright side maybe it is also an additional way to prevent the engine from overheating?
Still, I'm in awe as to how the system works.

Lineas calfeaccion.jpeg

You can see the take at the front of the engine block behind the radiator cap and the other one coming out right where the water temp sending unit is, at the rear of the engine, driver's side. The hose goes around the engine block and meets the other to go through the firewall.

LineasCalefaccion.jpeg
Motor.jpeg

Bases with improvised safety pin system:

BaseAsiento.jpeg

And improvised dust covers on the firewall from steering and accelerator.

GomaAcelerador.jpeg

So what's missing?

All electrical. I have most of the OEM electrical components, even got an OEM alternator and flasher relay. Voltage regulator was lost in shipping along with some other goodies like red seatbelt and newer door paddles and locks. Will have to accept the loss and move forward.

Also, leaf springs are WAAAY to tight. My rear shocks are fully open. I thought they'd go down with the full weight of the tub + roof + seats but no, the won't budge. It might become a bouncy castle so I'll probably have to have them re-repaired and lowered, maybe just one inch, to keep a slight lift.

Picture below shows how stretched the shocks are:

IMG_2945.jpeg

Will post when that's done.

Last edited:
First of all, I was lucky enough to have the original seats, which made it a whole lot easier for the upholsterer, Sr. Javier. Check out his 80's themed workshop...

View attachment 2674526
This is the original back rest.

View attachment 2674527

I love how the corners were exposed and there were breathing eyelets.

View attachment 2674528

Even rear jump seat original covers.

View attachment 2674529

They still had their coconut fiber. That's no longer procurable here in Mexico, so I had to go the foam way...

View attachment 2674530
I approve of Sr. Javiers workshop décor choices ;)

They're all signed and dedicated to him, no joke. He attends every convention and has his picture taken with the models.
Lucky guy for sure, good for him!

Amazing work put into this cruiser.
I saw my first fj40 in Puerto Vallarta last year and I was so excited. Guy cruising everywhere with it.
now I know there are two.
hopefully to see it next time I go to the fiestas de Juchipila in Feb.
Great job!!

The shackle angles in your pics are not good, and it is obvious that there are several added leaves in the leaf spring packs. Taking out even one of the long added leafs will help your shocks, shackles, and the quality of the ride.

The shackle angles in your pics are not good, and it is obvious that there are several added leaves in the leaf spring packs. Taking out even one of the long added leafs will help your shocks, shackles, and the quality of the ride.
Mark, thanks for the suggestion, was thinking just that, maybe take out the second largest leaf? There's 7 right now. How many should it have?
Could you please elaborate on the shackle angle? What would be a correct one? I'm lost here.

J

Amazing work put into this cruiser.
I saw my first fj40 in Puerto Vallarta last year and I was so excited. Guy cruising everywhere with it.
now I know there are two.
hopefully to see it next time I go to the fiestas de Juchipila in Feb.
Great job!!
Thanks man, bear in mind I'm about 390 miles from PV.

There's a Mudder who moved to PV last year, wonder if it's him you saw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom