My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (1 Viewer)

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Did the PO win? 😆

Good job on build. Like the trim stuff around the door opening. Not sure about the foam though between steps and rockers due to potential water retention.

My only experience with a rental car in the Caribbean (I know, not Mexico) was on St. Croix, and the cars driver window got smashed parked at a local beach. Fortunately we didn’t have anything in the car, but the insurance deductible was $500 😞. The local police recommend not keeping anything of value in your car and the doors unlocked and windows down, Don’t know about vehicle theft though. FWTW.

MexicanNewby

SILVER Star
Did the PO win? 😆

Good job on build. Like the trim stuff around the door opening. Not sure about the foam though between steps and rockers due to potential water retention.

My only experience with a rental car in the Caribbean (I know, not Mexico) was on St. Croix, and the cars driver window got smashed parked at a local beach. Fortunately we didn’t have anything in the car, but the insurance deductible was $500 😞. The local police recommend not keeping anything of value in your car and the doors unlocked and windows down, Don’t know about vehicle theft though. FWTW.

No, he didn't. Good point about the water retention. I will rectify before rain season.

Regarding car break-ins, I am more worried about it happening in a remote place, like base before a hike or bike ride. I always bring some stuff that I invariably keep in the car: small battery for jump starting car, tyre pump, bike tools, a more complete first aid kit and other things that I keep for peace of mind.

I also plan on covering the rear with a rubber cover so the rear hatch door is hidden.

One can only take theoretical precautions, when they want to break in, they will break in.

HelloKitty65

SILVER Star
If you want to save a vintage windshield you don't have anything to lose by trying a commercial chip repair. Google description:
"The chip repair process works like this: A vacuum is created over the damaged area. The air and moisture is removed and the resin is injected into the damage area, penetrating and filling the finest micro cracks."
Those little DIY versions in an auto parts store don't have much oomph. Those might work on small dry chips, but if water gets in it's bad news in freezing climates, growing cracks usually follow. That's why insurance companies give us little clear patches to keep a chip dry until repair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom