My 77 FJ40 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should come down some with the body and top.

I (and my aching back) managed to get the front axle and springs on this weekend. I need a beer! Thanks for @Redgrrr for a great deal and fast shipping on the shackles and spring pins. Got them just in time for the three day weekend.
uploadfromtaptalk1436134891400.jpg

Last edited:
My new BFG KM2s should be in tomorrow. I ordered 33x10.50 and they will go on the stock steelies I cleaned up. Hopefully, having a rolling frame will makes things a little easier.

uploadfromtaptalk1436135563831.jpg

Sculpin the pain away.
uploadfromtaptalk1436138535202.jpg

mmm Grapefruit Sculpin. That stuff is like gold in SD. They only release small batches from what I hear and I can never find any.

The build is looking good and going quickly.

Is that rattle can or powder on the steelies?

Rattle can. Rustoleum Dark Machinery Grey.

Well, Discount Tire had some shipping delays and the tires finally got here today. Upon me dropping off the stock steelie rims, I was told that they were unable to mount the new 33x10.5r15 BFG KM2's on them because their computer said that the rims weren't wide enough. I was fuming and told them to just throw them into the back of my 100 and I would take care of mounting them (I had already paid on Saturday). The guy helping says that he'll talk to his manager about it and see what they could do. The manager came back and said that they would help me out and give me a free set of wheels. Anyway, I'm set on using the stock steel wheels with hubcaps, but I don't mind getting a free set of rims. I think they're the in-house American Racing Mojave clones (Level 8 Tracker).

So, after dealing with Discount, I mounted the two wheels with tires and proceeded to take care of the rear axle and springs. It's starting to look like a truck now! :)

rearaxle.jpg

frontandrearaxles.jpg

Last edited:
i love that style tread, too bad those tires are old they look like they were barely used. and I am going to steal your no oil tag idea.

The Commander (@Sea Knight) and I managed to finagle the motor/tranny in this morning. It went well considering the sloping driveway.

uploadfromtaptalk1436560501605.jpeg

looking good Dave

Anyone know what this aluminum bracket might be? Goes on the rear right corner, but I have no idea what it is.
uploadfromtaptalk1436723337084.jpg

Hmmmm, that is odd. I'm fairly confident it isn't OEM but it does have a very "produced" look to it. Perhaps and old antenna mount or tire carrier latch? Wracking my brain to remember if I've ever seen that before.

Yeah, the bracket feels like cast aluminum and matches the curvature perfectly. Might have to look through some old Con-Ferr or Downey literature.

From the angle of the bracket and horizontal mounting ears to allow for pivoting a roof rack, I would think that bracket looks like a mount for a roof rack possibly... Is there a matching set of holes on the other side of the tube.
HTH

Not quite, but there are extra holes there. Maybe it was for one of those large gate like tire carriers.

Forgot the pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1436750008620.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom