Lets see those painted wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super clean, mingles! Looks great. I'm in CA - probably any local body shop could refurbish most likely?

A few years ago I picked up a set of OEM rims from a 94 (acorn style) to put on my 91. They were in pretty terrible shape, so I had them media blasted and I painted them myself.
IMG_20130709_142246.jpg

IMG_20130709_142309.jpg

Here is a freshly blasted wheel.
IMG_20130710_143611.jpg
IMG_20130710_143627.jpg

Finished product after several coats of Duplicolor flat black.
IMG_20130711_121016.jpg

Looking back on the amount of time spent, I should have just had these powder coated and be done with it.

Realized I hadn't posted mine since I redid them. I've ran the LX450 rims for almost two years now and decided to switch back to my original LC rims. So I went and dug them out of storage and shot them in Duplicolor black wheel paint.
IMG_2606.JPG

How do you apply the trd graphics?

This white ones above were chromed before. Bling city. Yuck, and probably from 1993, so there was corrosion behind the chrome. I paid to have a proper chemical strip. No sandblasting. There was still enough corrosion damage that I spent a lot of hours going through the grits hand sanding each one. Then I did a rattle can aluminum primer. Holding up well. I did go with tape on wheel weights.

You are so 1983 euro look :hillbilly:

I have done wheels in Plasti-dip

Top are new ions 17in

and bottoms are lexus 450 and they are for sale FYI with rubber in tire and wheels.
nitto1.JPG
rim1.JPG
rim2.JPG
rim4.JPG

Duplicolor Pebble Beige (CG2). Not sure if I will keep the gold or go to a graphite color like some of these rims came from the factory.

I actually really like the gold color and think it compliments the beige LX trim very nicely. If you can get over the fact they look like subaru wheels from the early 00's, this is a winning combo.

Striking resemblance. But honestly, I do think it looks good.

21468713.jpg

How do you apply the trd graphics?
I made my own stencils just using high quality tape. Cut out the letters with an exacto knife and apply them to the wheel, tape off the border and paint. A trick I learned to keep the paint from seeping under the tape was to apply a light coat of your base color to the graphic first ( in my case that was the bumper black) this will seal the edge of the tape against seepage. Now apply your accent color ( in my case red). If your finished paint is fairly thick you may need to score it with your exacto before removing the stencil. For the red stripe I just taped off just inside the bead and painted the wheel bead. It will scrape off when the tires are removed or when you rub on the rocks but it's pretty easy to fix.

More pics here Painted my wheels....

What kind of bike rack is that? I've been looking for one that carries like that!

It's a Northshore nsr4. It's been great. After 10s of thousands of miles of trips the only damage to my bike I'd some pain rubbed off on the fork crown

duplicolor bronze with clearcoat on a 40th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom