Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started the day with figuring out what went where with the transfer valves
20200110_104119.jpg

Mounted them up in a nice little unused area.....the only lines coming forward will be the sub tank's feed and return....easy.

20200110_154016.jpg

Got the front lines in too....they fit right in, just needed one nutsert to mount a clamp. It's nice when things work like this...also nice when you can get all the takeoffs and use what you need.

20200110_103956.jpg

We will only have to do one new rubber line from the main tank's feed to its valve. Using all the OEM rubber hoses that came with the takeoff lines for all the other spots.

20200110_191026.jpg

Built some longer bed T bolts....needed longer ones because of the 1/2" body lift. Cut the threaded portion off the old ones, bought some longer bolts, cut their heads off, welded them together. Nice.
20200110_171227.jpg

Blew the dust off this cool remote breather setupI bought a while back. Wanted to take a look at it...going to run the lines for this at the same time I do the sub tank fuel lines...will run the rear diff line in the same holders that the fuel lines will be in. Not bad quality for ebay stuff.
20200110_074001.jpg

Not a fan of the side bars but I understand this isn't an opinion poll. :D

I made these for my 40 sometime in 96 I think.....all the Aussie rigs had them and I was obsessed with them. The ARB bar on this truck was one of the first brought in for a 40 as I recall. I made the side bars out of weld Ls snd schedule 40 tubing. I was so proud of them. I think the connectors that attached them to the front bar were some kind of gussets for scaffolding or something. Had to be creative back before we had the internet to tell us how to do things.

20170703_135031_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back on the #2....now with Troopy 'home', we need to get #2 into the wiring phase. Almost there....going to make a big push over the next 2 weeks I think to tidy up the loose ends.

The 76 that donated its interior didn't have a sub tank....so no sub tank light or gauge to tell you when you are on the sub tank.....my tech came up with a slick setup. We'll tie this in so it is in normal green illumination with lights on or on main tank:

20200114_123414.jpg

Then when you switch over to the sub tank, it will illuminate red...regardless if the dash lights are on or not. Pretty cool...great idea.

20200114_123356.jpg

Received some fun stuff from @cruiseroutfit . The absolute best guys to deal with. Period.

Part time kit and low range reduction gears. Figured we might as well do it while we have the trans/transfer out.

20200114_115208.jpg

Back out with this. We need to seal it up and coat it with sound deadener while the trans is out. Then it's going back in for hopefully the last time. Hoping to button up the interior soon.
20200114_132524.jpg

Man, that sub tank switch is SLICK.

T-2 days until my 79/80 project arrives.

Your build is absolutely ridiculous. SO MANY details, perfect execution. So well thought out.

Man, that sub tank switch is SLICK.

T-2 days until my 79/80 project arrives.

Your build is absolutely ridiculous. SO MANY details, perfect execution. So well thought out.

Yeah man....the sub switch is cool. My tech is brilliant with wiring.....I know how our customers feel when he works on their cars. Lucky to have him.

Exciting about your project....get read for many sleepless nights thinking things out over and over and over and over....

Chris, Did the sub-tank switch have a generic white bulb from the factory?

Green rubber cover over a white bulb.....super small bulb.....forget the size.

Green rubber cover over a white bulb.....super small bulb.....forget the size.
Thanks ..... We've got the same switch (in some box, somewhere) along with an OEM rear tank. We still need to remove the Proffitt's abortion from the rear though.

Im a fan of side bars, especially on hard edge vehicles. I wouldnt put it on the 80 but I could see why you want to do it on a 40 or 70.

Need to hit up Kurt for a PT kit as well

Im a fan of side bars, especially on hard edge vehicles. I wouldnt put it on the 80 but I could see why you want to do it on a 40 or 70.

Need to hit up Kurt for a PT kit as well

PT kit is in the pic.....

Thanks ..... We've got the same switch (in some box, somewhere) along with an OEM rear tank. We still need to remove the Proffitt's abortion from the rear though.

Canadian delivery on that switch and tank I bet :)

Ok, who is going to Canada this year on vacation and has room in their trunk?

Had a slight issue with the AC compressor I bought a while back.....I bought one based on a 1HDT(longer snout) with a bracket for a 1HZ out of a late 90s something or other. Kind of figured I would make a custom manifold(AC did not have any ports and with no core, I didn't have a manifold to swap)...then I was going to custom lines to hook it all up. Then I changed directions. I ended up buying all the OEM lines and of course those don't fit the compressor. So I was able to source a compressor that fit the lines BUT, the bracket that holds the compressor I bought is different than what I had. Turns out Cruiserparts had take-offs for 2017+ 1HZ compressors.

Very very slight difference. 2017+ on left, regular old 1H* on right.

20200114_135437.jpg

All good....tensioner, adjuster all transferred over. Going to check my AC lines tomorrow with my fingers crossed that they fit.

20200114_132432.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom