Khamis Mushait FJ45, aka Ms Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m mostly curious about what is included in the 79 pages. The EWD for my 1983 non-North America 40-series is three large format pages.

Just parking these for reference.

34F08E4E-CD99-475B-BE7C-06CD134E90C3.jpeg

2D94DFD4-D50B-4629-A86F-0D7C968E84E2.jpeg

97E0D5C9-B283-4676-B571-191D39258AE4.jpeg

Hood prop rod is missing. In searching 40 photos it appears there should be a catch of some sort built into the hood about where I have drawn the lower oval? I don’t see a separate part from the parts diagram so I presume it’s part of the hood itself?

1DD4CE0F-719C-4714-9F20-FE8244F382FC.jpeg

Hood prop rod is missing. In searching 40 photos it appears there should be a catch of some sort built into the hood about where I have drawn the lower oval? I don’t see a separate part from the parts diagram so I presume it’s part of the hood itself?

View attachment 2720322

Yes. The rod and catch are integrated into the hood.

I'm continuing to plug away at ordering parts that I can still get new, NOS, or used. Running into a little head scratching though on this Toolbox door. It appears that the handle was missing and they may have even welded up the screw hole. Unfortunately it's not like I can find a lot of photos on the internet that shows this door on a 1976 or later model. I know there is the Australian one at the Land Cruiser Museum (paging @cruiserdan) and @boozewz has a nice 1982. Maybe one of them would be so kind as to post a photo of the front and inside of the door?

The good news is that the handle, spring, and screw interchange from the non twist handle, 76 - 80 USA and General Countries FJ40. For posterity the part numbers are:

55521-90300 Knob
55544-90301 Spring
93566-14514 Screw

There is also a rather mysterious packing called out with part number 61739-90300. Google barely recognizes that part ever existed. I assume that goes on the back of the door around the spring area to prevent the door from rattling?

The FJ40 glove box doors in that era show the spring on a stand off bracket that's tacked to the back of the door. I'm assuming my bracket might also be missing. If so I can just buy a complete, used FJ40 glove box of the appropriate vintage and rob the parts.

9048156B-BC73-4D34-848A-1D262E99D9CE.jpeg

Last edited:
FJ45RV-KCQ 83 TAN KOKA TROOPY web ready054.jpg

20210714_141905.jpg
20210714_141911.jpg

This particular example is one of the finest automobile restorations, of ANY kind, I have personally encountered. I doff my hat to Andras Koka. The guy is a master craftsman.

This particular example is one of the finest automobile restorations, of ANY kind, I have personally encountered. I doff my hat to Andras Koka. The guy is a master craftsman.
Great to have such an example available. Often just knowing what OEM looked like is more than half the battle. I will definitely have to fly out one day to see in person. Not sure I could ever get my Troopy to that level but at least I'm starting with a reasonably straight, rust free example.

So between Yemen and the UAE I was able to source all new door locks and latches for my rear ambulance doors. The driver's side door hardware is pretty much NLA but somehow they had some NOS items in stock. They even had the Control Assembly, part number 69709-60011 or at least I thought they had it. What they sent me included all the items except for the plate that the top and bottom lock arms attach to. Luckily I still had the old Control Assembly but of course without the spring.

So after carefully studying the old part it was clear that the plate is staked onto the shaft. No worries, a little file work and it came off easy enough. Now of course I need to install it on the new assembly with the spring and everything clocked into the correct position. If you look at the photos I think I have everything correct but if anyone has a different opinion it would be great to hear it.

So with the plate and spring clocked in the position shown in the last photo, if I install the inside handle facing the driver's side you would need to lift the handle up to open the driver's side door. If I install the handle facing the passenger side then you would push down to open the door. After exhaustive searching, I unfortunately cannot tell which way it came from the factory as there are many examples of them installed either way. Most important I guess is that I'm clocking this plate and spring correctly though as the handle direction can always be changed. Again, any advice about the OEM orientation would be appreciated.

4A0477F8-1EF5-4D2F-8619-F1E864491000.jpeg

947A760B-829A-4E40-B402-179CA4024915.jpeg

B5B7F11C-9836-4B20-B5E0-85470245DE50.jpeg

Last edited:
Well if this 5000 mile 1978 "all original" FJ40 that sold on BAT in 2018 for $100k is truly all original then I guess the handle should be oriented toward the driver's side. Would be nice if someone confirmed that in this orientation you pull up on the handle to open the door. Of course I don't see any other way to clock the Control Assembly so it almost has to work that way.

1522192658ff9f98764da1978-FJ40-TLC-ambie-door-plate.jpg

All the lights work on this Troopy except the turn signals. Even the hazards work. So today I decided to replace the turn signal stalk with a new one. I would have done that anyway even if they worked; nothing like new parts, especially those you have to touch all the time. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. Guess I'll have to pull out the Fluke.

Replaced the steering column clam shell as well and tried to wash everything up as best I could. Lots of dust in old vehicles over here.

D65A9C5B-2CE4-483B-8AC0-3C6CF005E7D8.jpeg

I got a little excited when I found this cut wire on the old stalk harness. Was positive that was the problem. Guess not.

4FAAC1C2-AA62-42E8-8C1D-0AF4CE681027.jpeg

27EF815C-E987-48BC-8B9C-120D1D77C07B.jpeg

Last edited:
Appears to have some significant fine dust or sand I assume in the nooks and crannies of the turn signal? IS this a common problem with the finer operating parts on vehicles over there?

Appears to have some significant fine dust or sand I assume in the nooks and crannies of the turn signal? IS this a common problem with the finer operating parts on vehicles over there?
Can be but I haven't had any issues with any of my Land Cruisers. I'm thinking my turn signal issue is wiring related as I installed a brand new turn signal assembly and it didn't fix the problem. Could be relay related. Waiting on my wife to bring the wiring diagrams back with her.

Run a temporary ground to your turn signal assembly and see if that will make it functional. It’s quicker than a fluke and diagram 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom