Is the price right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After postponing the search for way too long, I'm finally in the market for an 80 series. I found a potential candidate but wanted get some feedback on the price before moving forward. The details:

1996 LC
178,000 miles
1 owner with 50 service records - Seems they kept up with all the scheduled maintenance. Most recent work involved replacing the AC belt and radiator
In good cosmetic condition
NO lockers (I've read the threads, and while I know many would hold off until they could find one with the lockers, I've also read that the lack thereof shouldn't necessarily be a non-starter.)
Priced at 7500.

This seem like a fair deal?

Thanks

I would say it's exactly that, fair, not great. For comparison I bought my 95 9 years ago with about the same miles, in great exterior shape, good interior condition, rust free, bone stock with lockers for $7200

Wait 4 the lockers.... unless your going hardcore.

6500 would be better. 7500 is a lil high. i bought mine with 160,000 in good shape for 4800.

I just purchased a 1994 FZJ-80 a few weeks ago in near perfect (stock) condition w/ lockers, 133k miles and could not be happier with it. By MUD standards I am sure I paid to much for it but it is perfect for me and I love it. I would focus on the vehicle first and the price second. As w/ me and for most of us addicts owning the Landcruiser is more than just transportation... it is a lifestyle. If the vehicle is exactly what you want then grab it. Being off on the price +/- 10 or 15% has little bearing on your long term satisfaction. IMHO....

^ well said if your wallet doesn't care about 15%

Pricing is very regional, so feedback from people all over the country is a bit misleading. Additionally, peoples opinions of what good shape is will be all over the place. There seems to be an ass-load of LC's for sale in the Denver area, you should be able to be pretty choosy. Is it worth it to you?

if you think $7.5K is too high, offer what you want to pay and negotiate from there

one-owner 80s are getting exceedingly rare, and this one has a documented record --- are you really going to whine for the next 3 years that you could have found somewhere-somehow an 80 for a few hundred dollars less ?

we bought our 80 without long comparison shopping, and I bought the LX within a day of seeing the Craigslist ad - negotiated some on the price for both of them

In 2008 I bought my 94 with 76,000 miles for $7,400.
No lockers, good exterior and interior except for the front seats.
Service records are nice but it's still 18 years old with 178K miles...

So, the price today seems a bit high. I guess it depends on how tired you are of looking and not having.

I believe the LC you are looking at also had the radiator replaced recently after it cracked, if you are serious about it you might want to get the HG checked.

I've been looking for an 80 or 100 as well in Denver :)

I missed out on a 97 last week for the exact same price with 130k, every week a "new" one seems to surface for sale.

If it has good records, buy it. I would take a high mileage vehicle with records over a low mileage vehicle with no records. Lockers are nice, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if everything else checks out. There are plenty of cruiser shops where you are, so take it to a mechanic for a PPI. I would definitely see if the HG is done as the 95-97 seem to blow more than the 93-94.

Price is irrelevant, all that matters is that you feel good about it and not any cognitive dissonance.

I may be selling mine shortly, lockers, one lift, slee bull bar, 215k po was a Lexus mechanic, new duratracs...my asking price will be slight higher but still ball park....
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417762448.190903.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417762476.377235.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1417762522.901229.jpg

As always, you guys deliver on the great feedback. Part of the concern comes from the fact that it's being sold by a Sonic dealer. They're all about the no haggle crap so it can be hard to know if you're getting partially or completely screwed on the deal. Based on your replies it sounds like it's not a bad deal. I'll take a look at it and go from there. At the end of the day price isn't necessarily going to be a deal breaker - if it's 15% more than what I ideally want to spend but leaves me feeling 100% about the purchase then that's the rig I'll get.

@milehightoy, It's the same LC you saw, and the radiator issue does make me concerned that HG issues would be in my near future, which would blow.

Just got off the phone with the dealer who gave me a few additional details about the truck's condition and what they'll fix before selling.

The good:
They'll replace the front brakes/rotors and repack the bearings.
The did a compression test and everything came out as it should.

The bad:
The trunion seals are going out - this would be my responsibility. They'd charge $1200 to knock this out. From the threads it sounds like this is a job that is DIYable provided you have the time and skills to do so. On that note, are there any other things to take care while you have everything torn apart?
Speakers in the left door don't work. Could be because they're blown or there's a wiring issue. Probably not a big deal.

Just got off the phone with the dealer who gave me a few additional details about the truck's condition and what they'll fix before selling.

The good:
They'll replace the front brakes/rotors and repack the bearings.
The did a compression test and everything came out as it should.

The bad:
The trunion seals are going out - this would be my responsibility. They'd charge $1200 to knock this out. From the threads it sounds like this is a job that is DIYable provided you have the time and skills to do so. On that note, are there any other things to take care while you have everything torn apart?
Speakers in the left door don't work. Could be because they're blown or there's a wiring issue. Probably not a big deal.

I would tell them to pull your finger, get a better price and take care of the brakes yourself. You will be pulling all the brake components to do the axle/trunion seals anyway. Will you ever know that the seals were done if you pay them to do it?

/this\

The service records are what make it worth it. I would pay more to know what's been done to it and when. My truck was a minor collision fix-n-flip, and it's maintenance history is a mystery :eek:

That said, if you're dealing with a dealership, I would make them knock at least $1000 off the price for advertising a truck knowing full well it needed $1200 of work.

Have them take $1500 off the price and do the rotors, pads, wheel bearings, and trunnion bearings yourself! (That will cover more than the cost of the parts!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom