Is the 100 series really more reliable than the 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The A/C compressor bolts holding the fan bracket on disagree.
after doing a couple 2uz timing belts it got easier but i still think there's a lot that could be improved on there. To me it's part of the price you pay for having a powerplant shared across multiple platforms vs a mutually exclusive engine+chassis duo like the 1fz.

I personally didn’t have a problem with those bolts.

Reliability? The 100 series looses by a lot in my mind. Starter in the valley is a terrible idea. The electronic booster is a ticking time bomb. Then you have the globe hydraulic suspension system where the globes go bad and the struts leak. Vvt cam seals are a pain. The 2uz has pretty weak rods so it can't handle much abuse. It takes up a awful lot or real estate for the power it actually makes. One cool thing is the 100 series had night vision though. I also wish the 80 had a telescopic steering column but that's also something else that can go bad on the 100.

Never had the fortune of owning a hundy, but have managed to put some 30k miles on two 2uzfe Toyotas (4th gen 4r & gx 460). I love this v8 and it feels even smoother than my 2014 LC. Didn’t own either 2uz trucks long enough to credibly speak on reliability because there were no issues in the first place.

My 80 did require a head gasket job, but then it’s by far the oldest and highest mileage vehicle I’ve ever owned by some margin.

A lifted 100 on 35s looks awesome. To those who own both the 80+100, lucky you!

Never had the fortune of owning a hundy, but have managed to put some 30k miles on two 2uzfe Toyotas (4th gen 4r & gx 460). I love this v8 and it feels even smoother than my 2014 LC. Didn’t own either 2uz trucks long enough to credibly speak on reliability because there were no issues in the first place.

My 80 did require a head gasket job, but then it’s by far the oldest and highest mileage vehicle I’ve ever owned by some margin.

This

GX460 doesn't have a 2UZ. It has a 1UR-FE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom