2wd Kit Installed the Right Way? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've got a '96 HDFT, no ABS, and I am planning to get an ARB front locker and a 2WD conversion (Part Time 4WD Conversion kit - LandCruiser 80 Series | Marks 4WD - https://www.marks4wd.com/mfk1210-80hd-1.html).

Now, I'm a bit confused by all the different setups people are running and can't actually figure out what to do.

Some people get only the hubs, which means the front driveshaft and axle keep spinning, right? To eliminate this, you would install an entire kit, not just the hubs, right?

I've seen answers like, "locking my center diff while having my hubs unlocked" or "got the hubs to put a front locker in."

Why would you unlock hubs and put the center diff in, or get hubs to run a front locker? The front locker isn't locked until you push the button, correct?

Now, after hours of reading, I'm completely confused. I want a part-time kit with a front and rear locker properly installed. So the idea is: When 4WD is needed, I just jump out, lock the hubs, and I'm ready to go. When I need the center diff lock additionally, then I push the button. If this doesn't help, I go into low gear. And if this still doesn't help, I push the button for front and rear lockers.

Much appreciate your opinions, knowledge, and help.

Some people get only the hubs, which means the front driveshaft and axle keep spinning, right? To eliminate this, you would install an entire kit, not just the hubs, right?
Yep.

I've seen answers like, "locking my center diff while having my hubs unlocked" or "got the hubs to put a front locker in."
Centre diff unlocked with unlocked hubs would bias towards turning the front shaft. Not sure if the car would even move, someone correct me. Sounds like people have installed locking hubs on a full time car and are driving around with the centre diff constantly locked. No idea why they'd do that, maybe it's a cheap solution to having full time 4WD for everyday driving and RWD for fully sick skids in the maccas carpark.

The front locker isn't locked until you push the button, correct?
Correct.

Now, after hours of reading, I'm completely confused. I want a part-time kit with a front and rear locker properly installed. So the idea is: When 4WD is needed, I just jump out, lock the hubs, and I'm ready to go. When I need the center diff lock additionally, then I push the button. If this doesn't help, I go into low gear. And if this still doesn't help, I push the button for front and rear lockers.
Exactly right. Install the kit, it'll be constant rear wheel drive. Lock front hubs, lock centre diff, 4WD will be engaged. If you want the lockers engaged, engage them whenever you feel the need. When you're done, unlock the hubs, unlock the centre diff. and be on your way.

Exactly right. Install the kit, it'll be constant rear wheel drive. Lock front hubs, lock centre diff, 4WD will be engaged. If you want the lockers engaged, engage them whenever you feel the need. When you're done, unlock the hubs, unlock the centre diff. and be on your way.
Ok, I think I'm slowly getting it. I have to activate the center diff lock to engage the front driveshaft again, right? And the hubs, so the power from the driveshaft is transferred to the wheels, correct? But this would also mean I can't have 4WD without the center diff engaged. On the beach, for example, it's very rare that I get stuck. But when I do, I lock the center diff before even going into low gear, and most of the time that's enough. Once converted to the part-time kit, I have to get out, lock the hubs, go back inside, push the center diff button, and then I've got 4WD, correct?

If you are installing selectable lockers don’t part time the truck. You gain nothing by doing so and you loose AWD.
Why's that? If I've understood correctly, with a part-time kit, I have to lock the hubs and engage the center diff to have 4WD. But then, when one wheel of the front axle and the opposite wheel of the rear axle is in the air, I wouldn't get any power to the ground. The front and rear lock would fix that, right?

Because the ARB is select able you don't install locking hubs either. You just install the ARB and nothing else.
Okay, so does this mean, for example, that without a 2WD part kit, if the front air locker isn't engaged, I don't have 4WD, but only when it's engaged? This would mean that the front driveshaft would still spin but wouldn't transfer power to the axles, right?

Once converted to the part-time kit, I have to get out, lock the hubs, go back inside, push the center diff button, and then I've got 4WD, correct?
That's right.

I'd avoid the part time kit and put the money towards a rear locker as well. Doughnuts in the snow is fun, but having to get out in the rain and lock hubs + centre diff. just to reverse a few feet up a grass hill onto tarmac only to have to get back out & unlock everything again was a pain in the arse. Full time FTW.

Okay, so does this mean, for example, that without a 2WD part kit, if the front air locker isn't engaged, I don't have 4WD, but only when it's engaged? This would mean that the front driveshaft would still spin but wouldn't transfer power to the axles, right?
your truck is All Wheel Drive, so all wheels are engaged and all axles and drive shafts are turning and moving the truck forward.

However if one tire starts to slip and spins then the truck no longer moves forward. That one tire can be on ice or in mud or hung up on a tree stump or whatever and the only way to get traction again is to link the spinning tire to a tire that has traction. That's the job of the locker.

You engage the locker and then the tire that is spinning is locked to the tire on the opposite side of the axle so that both tires work together to move the truck forward.

If you need more traction you would engage the other locker so that both axles also are linked.

And if that still isn't enough you would engage the Center Diff Locker so all tires are linked together and turning in unison.

After that you need to grab a shovel or pull some winch line.

Last edited:
Some of us have gone to part time because, due to lift amount, we fought front driveline vibrations and some of us have a strong tendency towards running our 80’s very hard pushing their limits in the world of rock crawling where drive train components are beaten into submission sometimes. Being able to simply unlock the front hubs and push a button to disconnect power to the front axle is a nice feature that keeps us from needing to remove the front drive shaft and drive flanges right then and there where she might be sitting in whatever kind of crud or precarious position. Ultimately, I also ended up liking how the 80 drives on the street in 2wd. All 80’s around the world did not come as AWD units from the factory so there must be some value to running part time in an 80.

Last edited:
your truck is All Wheel Drive, so all wheels are engaged and all axles and drive shafts are turning and moving the truck forward.

However if one tire starts to slip and spins then the truck no longer moves forward. That one tire can be on ice or in mud or hung up on a tree stump or whatever and the only way to get traction again is to link the spinning tire to a tire that has traction. That's the job of the locker.

You engage the locker and then the tire that is spinning is locked to the tire on the opposite side of the axle so that both tires work together to move the truck forward.

If you need more traction you would engage the other locker so that both axles also are linked.

And if that still isn't enough you would engage the Center Diff Locker so all tires are linked together and turning in unison.

After that you need to grab a shovel or pull some winch line.
Thanks, mate, this is exactly my understanding. But why did you say I wouldn't gain anything by installing a part-time kit? By installing this kit, I would just "disconnect" the wheels and front driveshaft from the entire system. When in need, I lock the hubs and engage the center diff to get back to 4WD, and if needed, I can engage the rear locker first, then the front, or what am I missing?

@Gerry McGerry - what lift amount and tire size and what type of off road action do you plan to engage in? Some of us have gone to part time because, due to lift amount, we fought front driveline vibrations and some of us have a strong tendency towards running our 80’s very hard pushing there limits in the world of rock crawling where drive train components are beaten into submission sometimes. Being able to simply unlock the front hubs and push a button to disconnect power to the front axle is a nice feature that keeps us from needing to remove the front drive shaft and drive flanges right then and there where she might be sitting in whatever kind of crud or precarious position. Ultimately, I also ended up liking how the 80 drove on the street in 2wd. All 80’s around the world did not come as AWD units from the factory so there must be some value to running part time in an 80.

Why do you want to install a part time kit in the first place?
want a part-time kit for the reasons you mentioned: to reduce vibrations, make the car more nimble, and unload the front when not needed. After reading hours of posts, people seem to enjoy using 2WD in the 80s when on the road. We're planning a trip from Australia to the States, up to Alaska, and down to Brazil. Of course, there will be a lot of street driving involved, but we also want to tackle pretty much every 4WD track we can.

Thanks, mate, this is exactly my understanding. But why did you say I wouldn't gain anything by installing a part-time kit? By installing this kit, I would just "disconnect" the wheels and front driveshaft from the entire system. When in need, I lock the hubs and engage the center diff to get back to 4WD, and if needed, I can engage the rear locker first, then the front, or what am I missing?
I understand how it works. Now explain to me the benefit.

I understand how it works. Now explain to me the benefit.
Haha, sorry mate, I didn't mean to explain anything to you. I'm the one who's confused. I just wanted to double-check if I understood correctly what you wrote. I don't understand why I wouldn't need a 2WD part-time kit with lockers. Lockers help me to get further off-road, while a 2WD kit makes the journey on the road more comfortable and quiet, right?

want a part-time kit for the reasons you mentioned: to reduce vibrations, make the car more nimble, and unload the front when not needed. After reading hours of posts, people seem to enjoy using 2WD in the 80s when on the road. We're planning a trip from Australia to the States, up to Alaska, and down to Brazil. Of course, there will be a lot of street driving involved, but we also want to tackle pretty much every 4WD track we can.
I’m picking up what you’re putting down. 🇺🇸

Haha, sorry mate, I didn't mean to explain anything to you. I'm the one who's confused. I just wanted to double-check if I understood correctly what you wrote. I don't understand why I wouldn't need a 2WD part-time kit with lockers. Lockers help me to get further off-road, while a 2WD kit makes the journey on the road more comfortable and quiet, right?
Correct, differential lockers have zero to do with transfer case configuration.

Full time front locker(lunchbox, ratcheting, Detroit, spool...) yes, part time. You said ARB which is selectable, no need for a part time kit. It acts as a standard open diff until you lock it. Which is different than a locking hubs job.

And no, unless you have a front driveshaft vibration going to a part time kit will not improve the long haul journeys.

Full time front locker(lunchbox, ratcheting, Detroit, spool...) yes, part time. You said ARB which is selectable, no need for a part time kit. It acts as a standard open diff until you lock it. Which is different than a locking hubs job.

And no, unless you have a front driveshaft vibration going to a part time kit will not improve the long haul journeys.

Ahhh, alright, I thought the air locker was an addition and did not change anything unless engaged. So, does this mean the front locker itself acts as a part-time kit when not engaged?

Dang I thought I had this VERY clear in my brain until reading the Marks FAQs
"
How do I engage 4wd once the kit is fitted?
High 4WD – Lock in the Free Wheeling Hubs & push the Centre Diff Lock button
Low 4WD – Lock in the Free Wheeling Hubs & engage Low4 with the gear lever (the Centre Diff Lock button can be depressed or not – the transfer case will lock as soon as the lever is moved)"
I thought the Transfer case spool permanently locked the diff, well making it not a diff anymore. At that point the CDL button is useless for diff locking purposes,, maybe still useful for ABS and indicator lights, not sure if does anything else.
Sounds like the benefit of the part time kit is better steering, ability to run non-selectable lockers, and MAYBE some lower wear on front spinny things. The last one I can't see paying off until a few hundred K on the ODO, which by that point you are servicing the front end anyway.
My last vehicle was an FJ40 so center diff was completely foreign to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom