Is this a reasonable price to replace a head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
So my head gasket blew. I took it to Land Cruiser Northwest to get it looked at because I had a P0306 code and the injector came unplugged. But I had an exhaust leak so I was going to have them fix it. They took a look over it and did some tests and told me the head gasket was blown. They quoted me $8700 to replace the head gasket. They said that’s a best/worse case scenario. DISCLAIMER, they didn’t offer me a warranty on it but I also didn’t ask them if they provided a warranty. I called my local dealership and they quoted me $6500 to do the repair. They said that’s a high quote, and that it mostly likely wouldn’t be much more expensive, just dependent on the machine shop. They also said it comes with a 36k mile warranty or 3 year warranty. Just wondering what everyone thinks as winter is coming and need the rig. TIA!

I've done this on my own 94. New radiator new wp new thermostat fan clutch belts hoses air filter oil filter oil arp head studs all associated gaskets coolant flush machine head and replacement of valve seals everything oem parts. If that's what shops are charging for head gasket replacement I'm going to stop doing just ls swaps and only do head gasket work.

I've done this on my own 94. New radiator new wp new thermostat fan clutch belts hoses air filter oil filter oil arp head studs all associated gaskets coolant flush machine head and replacement of valve seals everything oem parts. If that's what shops are charging for head gasket replacement I'm going to stop doing just ls swaps and only do head gasket work.
I would like to do it myself, but I don’t have the time right now and can’t afford the car to go down, as it’s my daily and winter car. And I know it’ll take me a lot longer to do. Right? For a few thousand more I could LS swap it hahah

That's more than double what we have paid for top end rebuild

It will be different based on geographic regions. But not that different.

I think for $8700 your engine block should be covered in gold leaf when it's all said and done. I'd go with the dealership at a lower price and with a warranty if those were my only two options.

It will be different based on geographic regions. But not that different.
For sure, just looking for an idea of what other places are charging.
Machine work pressure testing leak testing valve stem seals cost 400 dollars in my area
Also forgot I replaced injector plug housings they are brittle and will break spark plugs, wires cap rotor also did the phh work around. I ordered all my parts witch a shop won't let you do unless you know someone.
That’s roughly what I was guesstimating for the machine shop work. Yeah Cylinder 6 plug came undone and through a P0306 code, that’s why I took it in.

I think for $8700 your engine block should be covered in gold leaf when it's all said and done. I'd go with the dealership at a lower price and with a warranty if those were my only two options.
That’s what I was thinking. The warranty definitely ads some value to that and comfort with having that job done. Appreciate your input. Trying to get another quote or two before I make a decision.

Pdx Oregon machine shop price for refinishing a head, new valve guide seals and valve adjustment is around 750-900 with you providing the valve guides. To provide an accurate opinion we would need to know what parts they are replacing. Both prices seems high to me. The shop you mentioned is one of the very few local shops and are in high demand. I wish I had more free time I would bust it out for half their quoted price I have a rebuilt head sitting on the shelf.

I know this isn't the focus of the thread but how confident are you in the "bad HG" diagnosis? Did they provide good information on how they determined that it was bad?

It sounds relatively safe to trust the shop on their diagnosis but I'd personally want to know for sure before diving into the job given the costs and hassle involved in your situation.

HG as preventative maintenance can make sense but seems more appropriate when the 80 isn't needed for daily driving duties and when you have chosen the time for it.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom