I am so done with greasable spring pins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
I am so done with greasable spring pins....

like the title says

found it broken at Cruise Moab before Friday's dinner, the other half had fallen out :rolleyes:

luckily, Kurt had a used OEM for a spare :clap:

Last edited:
I take it sheared right where the grease comes out on the inside?

What type shackle?

yes

this was on the frame side

in the process of posting pics
pin1 small.jpg
pin3 small.jpg
pin2 small.jpg

Last edited:
agreed, i had been driving mine around broken for i dont know how long. waste of money

If it's a tapped zerk the broken bits are easy to remove with a small easy out and install a new zerk. If it's the crappy pressed in zerk fitting, they are much harder to remove, but remove all of them and then tap the holes for stock m6x1 screw in zerks. I found the m6x1 zerks in bulk packages at the Tractor Supply store.

It's what I did with CCOTs spring pins that had the pressed in crap. I usually snap one off each trip, then swap in a new one in a coupla minutes.

Whoa, I thought you were talking about the zerks, not the whole bolt busting! Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
yes

this was on the frame side

in the process of posting pics - MUD won't allow me right now :confused: will try to post again later

No, who made the shackle?

No, who made the shackle?

I understood your question the first time:

this spring pin was not in a shackle but in the spring hanger on the passenger frame side - the shackle in the front of the passenger front spring was from SOR, OEM size - the greasable pins were also from SOR

still can't post pics :confused:

Last edited:
It's possible that the theory behind the design is not at fault, but the manufacturer of the pin or shackle has a poor design/tolerances/raw materials.
Could you please tell us which brand of pin and shackle you are using, so we can avoid using them.

A number of folks have had problems, for example, with all kinds of stuff sold by Cool Cruisers, if it was their product--easy enuf to avoid buying.

Hopefully, the concept of lubing the bushings is sound and practical.

It's possible that the theory behind the design is not at fault, but the manufacturer of the pin or shackle has a poor design/tolerances/raw materials.
Could you please tell us which brand of pin and shackle you are using, so we can avoid using them.

A number of folks have had problems, for example, with all kinds of stuff sold by Cool Cruisers, if it was their product--easy enuf to avoid buying.

Hopefully, the concept of lubing the bushings is sound and practical.

my cruiserguru tells me it's the design :meh:

Well are they the type with the channel milled down the entire length? Or the kind with a flat and a hole? or a hole and no flat?

My guess is that those are listed in order of increasing strength. I don't like the channel type at all.

Edit: ah, see pics up now. s***, I have some like that...

Last edited:
I think it is funny you have that part; the other part that 'fell off' has two bolts that are supposed to secure it to the frame.... :lol:

Have you put a wrench on the remaining six spring pin bolts?

I think it is funny you have that part; the other part that 'fell off' has two bolts that are supposed to secure it to the frame.... :lol:

the outside plate was still there held by the two bolts, just the part with the grease nipple fell out :hillbilly:

Have you put a wrench on the remaining six spring pin bolts?

yup :p

Last edited:
thanks again :cheers:

order forthcoming....

and when one breaks, so goes the other :rolleyes: just this weekend :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW, both were the front pins

Last edited:
after this a piece of the bushing was found on the ground midway up :eek:

attachment.php

I still drove it another 30some miles on washboard dirt (found that the shouldered part of the pin held in the hanger :meh:), and then decided to continue 50some miles on highway :hillbilly:

good thing I had already ordered the new pins from Kurt :bounce: new pin was changed in that very evening :bounce: thanks Tools R Us and ChaseTruck :clap:

Last edited:
the greasable pins were purchased from Specter in early 2005 and broke in 2010 - regularly greased, bushings replaced in 2010 before Cruise Moab - torqued correctly each time

did I mention I am more than done with greasable spring pins :doh: :mad: design FAIL proven twice :bang:

Last edited:
Almost look like machined & plated cast parts versus machined forged. Anyway of knowing whether this product is forged vs. cast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom