I am buying a FJ40 this Sunday. Need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What on earth is going on with your windscreen wipers!!?
Put some pictures up of the rust on your blue one. If its small just keep driving it.
Trying to find a perfect one is near on impossible unless you start blowing serious cash. Getting the carb fixed shouldn't be a big issue, there is a guy on this forum that you send him your carb and he rebuilds it good as new and everyone swears by him. But i can't remember who it is. Having the car run well without any misfires makes it a million times more enjoyable and gives you a lot more confidence to take it out.

A8CD7328-9EDF-414B-8B24-9BF78C47B014.jpeg

E87B672F-0AD2-45DC-83FB-6B2774565BF0.jpeg

DCBF8B60-B4FB-43B6-AB63-3441F7A1D989.jpeg

210B506C-1421-4BA1-BF3A-E22B3018CEAB.jpeg

What on earth is going on with your windscreen wipers!!?
Put some pictures up of the rust on your blue one. If its small just keep driving it.
Trying to find a perfect one is near on impossible unless you start blowing serious cash. Getting the carb fixed shouldn't be a big issue, there is a guy on this forum that you send him your carb and he rebuilds it good as new and everyone swears by him. But i can't remember who it is. Having the car run well without any misfires makes it a million times more enjoyable and gives you a lot more confidence to take it out.
What's going with my windshield wipers?

Is this the guy who Re builds carbs?
Yes, he has a shop that's in your part of the country. Not Chicago, but one of the states nearby I think.

Found it:

Well one is facing towards the moon and the other is down. Looks like its been drinking all night.
The rust you've shown obviously isnt good, and its probably worse then it looks with all the new fresh paint on. But it's not like you can see straight through it or your foot is gonna fall through the floor. I think you need to take it for what it is and just keep driving it and fix up the problems like the carb which prevent you from driving it.
I think some people get carried away with the rust repairs and strip it back to an inch of it's life and spend years trying to fix it. So many people loose interest as it's a monster task. The threads you see here are generally the stories that ended well and there are some insanely dedicated and skillfull people on this board. There is thousands of projects that started with good intentions then fell to the wayside when the enormity of it all sets in.

I think just get out and enjoy it. It will be fine for another 10 years. It appears just cosmetics at this stage, carby problem is an easy fix, send it to someone who knows what they're doing and get back behind the wheel and go adventuring!

Well one is facing towards the moon and the other is down. Looks like its been drinking all night.
The rust you've shown obviously isnt good, and its probably worse then it looks with all the new fresh paint on. But it's not like you can see straight through it or your foot is gonna fall through the floor. I think you need to take it for what it is and just keep driving it and fix up the problems like the carb which prevent you from driving it.
I think some people get carried away with the rust repairs and strip it back to an inch of it's life and spend years trying to fix it. So many people loose interest as it's a monster task. The threads you see here are generally the stories that ended well and there are some insanely dedicated and skillfull people on this board. There is thousands of projects that started with good intentions then fell to the wayside when the enormity of it all sets in.

I think just get out and enjoy it. It will be fine for another 10 years. It appears just cosmetics at this stage, carby problem is an easy fix, send it to someone who knows what they're doing and get back behind the wheel and go adventuring!
Best advice I have gotten on this site so far. I think I'll work with what I have

He’s capable... did you contact any vendors about rebuilding yours? Goto the vender section and search there. At least google, “rebuilt Toyota fj40 carburetor”. A number of vendors show up.

Most daily driven FJ-40's are owned by people that have enough skills to keep them running.

Try Voodoo Cruisers in Herrin Illinois. I know its southern Illinois. But they do also complete rebuilds. They are here on mud

Voodoocruisers@gmail.com
(618) 579-9600

If I could get my 76 away from my wifes cousin I would have them finish it 8 years late gurrrr.

Find a shop and drop electric power steering in your 40. Also a vintage air a/c kit

Last edited:
I feel like you are wanting a no-rust 40 for a $15k price. Unless you find an unbelievable barn find for cheap, you will have almost an impossible time finding one like that.

Not to mention Chicago winters are going to destroy a 40 in no time. MOST people on here don't drive there 40's in the winter. 40's are special in the winter. Nothing like scraping the INSIDE of the windows lol.

I suggest you start learning to work on a 40 and dig in quickly. The Carb send to a vendor on here and just get it done.

So either be content with what you have and start fixing things on the current one, or sell and save to find a better one.

I will 1000% agree, find a cheap commuter car for $1-$3k, Camry, Honda, Toyota because you WILL inevitably need to have you FJ40 down to work on something and it's nice to not have to scramble to get something fixed or be ripped off by a shop because you don't have any other options.

Find a shop and drop electric power steering in your 40. Also a vintage air a/c kit

Or an old power steering fearbox from a toyota pickup and put on a gm pump. There are kits out there to adapt an old power steering gear box to the frame. Its been so long since I did mine I dont remember what year gear box works. But the mounting adapter is out there also.

Or an old power steering fearbox from a toyota pickup and put on a gm pump. There are kits out there to adapt an old power steering gear box to the frame. Its been so long since I did mine I dont remember what year gear box works. But the mounting adapter is out there also.

Those pickup gearboxes (79-85) are much harder to come by these days. The new electric kits seem to be an easier solution and have had good reviews. Personally I run a 60 series power steering setup. I was thinking since he had trouble finding a decent shop, electric ps may be a better option.

I have to endorse the electric PS. Have set up in our BJ45 and it’s great.

Try Voodoo Cruisers in Herrin Illinois. I know its southern Illinois. But they do also complete rebuilds. They are here on mud

Voodoocruisers@gmail.com
(618) 579-9600

If I could get my 76 away from my wifes cousin I would have them finish it 8 years late gurrrr.
I didn't understand the but about wife's cousin and 8 years later lol
Those pickup gearboxes (79-85) are much harder to come by these days. The new electric kits seem to be an easier solution and have had good reviews. Personally I run a 60 series power steering setup. I was thinking since he had trouble finding a decent shop, electric ps may be a better option.

or

I didn't understand the but about wife's cousin and 8 years later lol

or
I ordered the 400 kit only to find out the box is expensive and hard to find. And their delux kit for the Ps is 1400 do you know if the electric is would be less than that. And can you link me to where I can find it!?

I ordered the 400 kit only to find out the box is expensive and hard to find. And their delux kit for the Ps is 1400 do you know if the electric is would be less than that. And can you link me to where I can find it!?

Electric is $2k, but any other power steering will require some fabrication so it's probably a wash price wise unless you do the work yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom