I am buying a FJ40 this Sunday. Need help. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take some advice you got on your other post and here.....you shouldn't of bought that blue one either honestly.

Why do you need one now
I need one now because I don't have a car and the blue one is a bit unreliable it randomly every few days will stutter and want to turn off. I think the carburetor has problem. The problem is that I have never heard people talking good about a fj40 here that's not worth 100k. So what do I do? I am not going to get anything perfect for 16k so is this worth 16?

I need one now because I don't have a car and the blue one is a bit unreliable it randomly every few days will stutter and want to turn off. I think the carburetor has problem. The problem is that I have never heard people talking good about a fj40 here that's not worth 100k. So what do I do? I am not going to get anything perfect for 16k so is this worth 16?
Btw "shouldn't have bought the blue one" I paid 10k for it and I already got offered 17k for it in person. So not sure if I agree with you on that

Heed the advice you have been given by some long term forum members. They are wise.

1595700741326.png

You want a nice one, patience or reach out to one of these guys: @Wadesters or @overton

Why would I buy a Camry? No thanks. I want a fj40 last I checked this form wasn't a place where we tell people to buy a Camry lol cmon guys I just want to buy a FJ40.

Even in your last post we're trying to help. That thing is not a good buy at all.

Do what you want though and we'll be here when you start another post on it asking for help

It’s a Colombian rig, so I would definitely go see it in person before I put any money down. Beyond that, I think it could easily be worth the money, but I’d go over it with a fine toothed comb before laying down the cash. If you’ve got a free day & are you for an adventure, I’d go see it.
Thanks you finally some logical advice that's understanding of the situation! That being said is that 2f motor?
Even in your last post we're trying to help. That thing is not a good buy at all.

Do what you want though and we'll be here when you start another post on it asking for help

I listened to you guys on my last post and didn't buy that 30k car from being a trailer

andbought a 10k fj which I am happy with now I just want one that has power steering and Axe and a spare tire in the back and that's not very rusted

Have to agree with others. Too much probably lurking there and $16K is just a starting point as you will probably have to put more into it. IF your from Chicago your that much closer to the midwest cruisers that have less rust. Sadly depending on your commute these machines are not great daily drivers unless your a hardcore enthusiast in the making.

Hate to see ya invest that into a rig from SA and lose the excitement of the purchase when you have top start doing things to it. Reliability is definitely not a guarantee with a 40.

I have purchased and sold cruisers within a close range of what your about spend that blow this one away. Take your time and something will come your way. There are options for adding PS to anything you buy. I have a BJ45 with electric PS and we love it.

Good luck with whichever direction you choose to go.

Why would I buy a Camry?

Because this is the second time that you have demonstrated that you have no clue what you are doing.
Buy the Camry then you will have reliable transportation.
You can then either work on what you have or pay someone else to work on it.
It doesn't sound like you have the skill set to daily drive a 45 year old vehicle as your only vehicle.
The plus side is that you can earn that skill set by working on one yourself but it takes time.

Thanks you finally some logical advice that's understanding of the situation! That being said is that 2f motor?

I listened to you guys on my last post and didn't buy that 30k car from being a trailer

andbought a 10k fj which I am happy with now I just want one that has power steering and Axe and a spare tire in the back and that's not very rusted

It looks like a 2F, but it is impossible to know from just that one pic. Someone could bolt parts to an f & you wouldn’t know from that pic. Ask the guy for the engine number. 74 would have had the “f.5” motor, swapping in a newer 2f is common in Colombia. As is the later model front end swapped onto this truck. The FRP top isnt OEM, but they are good quality & usually even can’t air I to the rear of the truck & such too.

My 1974 FJ40 has an aluminum valve cover that does not say "2F" on it, and the engine is not a 2F. So, I assume you can slap any aluminum valve cover on an older F engine?
But, just being a 2F instead of an F isn't going to solve many (more like none) of the problems you've mentioned on your current FJ40. It's 20 extra cubic inches and an upgraded oil system? It's not going to make a difference for power steering and aircon. And probably won't matter much for any carb issues, which don't seem to have changed much (if any) between the last F and first 2F engines.
Those front marker / turn signals, never seen anything like them. Top almost looks like it doesn't come off? rear door, who built that? It's almost like someone wanted a postal jeep land cruiser.

Think about it like this. If you would have waited and searched around you could of had that 10k you spent on the other and the 16k you're going to spend on this.

26k can get you an extremely nice 40

Check out this. You mentioned nothing under 60k is worth it. Just a little above what you would have if you waited.

I say sell the other for 17k and keep the 16k you're going to spend on this one and buy something that's done right.

Guys so I am okay with it being a South America. And I currently own a American release which looks good from far but it's far from good. I am really into where the car was release as long as it's not a complete junk. Keep in mind nothing Belen 60k is going to be perfect shape. I am paying 16k do
You guys think I can find a better one. And what engine is that!

Idk where you got the 60k price but the above is half that and extremely nice

I wish I had the kind of money you have to throw at the first FJ40 I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom