How is everyone doing? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe you should. Nurses can find work anywhere ( little dove ). There’s an abundance of water and good dirt here too. Something we all may need in the future for food production. If you were here, I’m sure you’d drop by and harass me about those 28” tires. 😎

So even with all the negative Covoid tests, I am still supposed to be more or less isolating at my house for a week or so before venturing out into the world. I've had a lot of work calls and videoconferences but as things slowed down during the week I got a little restless. A bit of a cross post from the 70 forum but I decided to clean the AC on the Bedouin Beast.

Turns out you have to dig pretty deep to get to all the ducts.....

9C0E55A0-CB97-41B0-A30A-A95666E24D73.jpeg

But who here has ever worked in a sanitation treatment plant, worked down a manhole in a sewer or had anything to do with a municipal water supply?

Right here. That was a rather memorable experience...

Just getting caught up in this thread - getting real up in here!

Made it back to the magic Kingdom a few days ago. Two negative covid 19 tests in the US got me into Dubai. I then needed another test, special permission from the government and a charter flight to get to Riyadh. Wife couldn't come with me but at least I was able to get our two dogs back. They had been with a very nice Saudi couple that boards small dogs for the last 5 months. Very happy to see them.

Not going to get into a protracted discussion on the economy but my impression is that people with money have been spending it during this lockdown. We bought a house a couple of months back and it has been difficult to get any kind of skilled labor as everyone is so busy. Appreciate greatly that likely varies widely across the country but it's not all bad everywhere.

Yep. Had to do some fence repair earlier this summer. Lowes was all out of pressure treated 4x4, they had no idea when they would see more.

Yup, even in the cottage industry around rebuilding landcruisers.

Spoke to Luke at 4x4 labs a couple days ago. His backlog has grown from 12 to 16 weeks for built bumpers.

VintageTeqParts says he is super busy.

John Russo at SLOCRUISERS is semi-constantly sold-out due to a combination of higher demand and supply chain issues.

The guys at Classic Cruisers say they’re real busy too.

Even the local Austin landcruiser shop is full (bays and yard).

My buddy at Bump It Offroad said orders have been coming in, but he also had some cancellations early on in the COVID...

My work is ahsenshall because our engineering firm works mostly for the power company. I dont know if it was a coincidence or cause and effect, but we got busier starting in April. I'm lucky enough to work from home, same with my wife. We actually had some things go our way this year and got completely out of debt in July. Now we are socking half a Pig build a month to buy a house when the market gets more realistic.

This was not like 2008 for me. That was a bad time to be a surveyor.

I thought you were saying you were a teacher now? Or am I remembering wrong?

My work is ahsenshall because our engineering firm works mostly for the power company. I dont know if it was a coincidence or cause and effect, but we got busier starting in April. I'm lucky enough to work from home, same with my wife. We actually had some things go our way this year and got completely out of debt in July. Now we are socking half a Pig build a month to buy a house when the market gets more realistic.

This was not like 2008 for me. That was a bad time to be a surveyor.
Congrats on being out of debt. Some people argue having some debt is good. I love the feeling of not owing anyone anything, other than taxes, etc. With all the people leaving Ca. shouldn't housing costs be coming down soon.

That is so awesome to get out of debt! Congratulations!!! I know there are a lot of opinions on debt, but it usually takes a conscious effort to get out of debt.

You can wander your way into debt, but you can't wander your way out of it...

I have a great-uncle out in MO with hundreds of acres. Maybe I should hit him up. Maybe build that shop I've been dreaming about. Hopefully it isn't anywhere near St. Louis!

If it is, Blues and BBQ! Amirite?

So even with all the negative Covoid tests, I am still supposed to be more or less isolating at my house for a week or so before venturing out into the world. I've had a lot of work calls and videoconferences but as things slowed down during the week I got a little restless. A bit of a cross post from the 70 forum but I decided to clean the AC on the Bedouin Beast.

Turns out you have to dig pretty deep to get to all the ducts.....

View attachment 2410375

LHD 70?!? Nice!

They only have LHD in Saudi. And they have a lot of 70 series pickups.

More pics if you are so inclined: Builds - Car souq pickup

Oh Mylanta!
Want to bring one back for me?
That looks like exactly what I need.
Except then I would need a place to live, as I think the :princess: would either evict me, or shoot me...

My :princess: prefers the 200 but I talk her into taking the Beast occasionally. Of course she doesn’t like getting stuck as has happened at least once or twice.

Although these trucks are very common they are used hard. I got lucky finding one 25 years old that was worth having.

872D32DF-C5B8-4201-9FD3-8E657F7C50F5.jpeg

2F770507-C40D-4C41-8A04-C664CE44E668.jpeg

Pre-65 dimes are worth about $1.91 of melt value at today’s prices. A 1932-1964 Washington quarter is $4.74 of melt value, and Peace and Morgan dollars are $20.52 each of melt value.

As long as you’re not paying for numismatic valuable coins, and Bunker Hunt doesn’t return from the dead. they’re OK.

Thus the term “junk”, which I’m certain you understand, but maybe others don’t, that implies average circulated condition, classic American 90% silver coinage. But you always want to be on the lookout for those shiny, MS examples that could potentially fetch a bit more than their worn out siblings. With this substantial increase in silver price, I’ll bet the junk coin market will push to 20x face value.
I’ve been hearing for years now how undervalued silver is in comparison with gold, and how many were looking for some sort of positive correction to get it closer to where it should be. There was a ratio that held the prices in check but for some reason that ratio has gotten stretched out into something that metals gurus think doesn’t reflect silver’s true value. On top of that, there’s supposedly a shortage of physical silver in the treasuries of many a country, which compounds the issue, especially when compared to how much “paper silver” is on the books, and what would happen if people were to try to actually make that paper silver physical silver.
Forgive the rudimentary explanation, this is an abridged, paraphrased version of my understanding.

@PabloCruise I am a Land Surveyor, but my quip about being a teacher was in regards to my kid starting school online. So basically we are the teacher and tutor when the Zoom meeting is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom