HELP brake proportion valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked everywhere and called everyone I could think of to find a brake proportion valve for my 77 fj40 with no luck :bang: anyone have a good one or know where i can find one?

Here ya go, its what I'm using. Summit Racing

sum-g3905_cp.jpg

Summit Racing SUM-G3905 - Summit Racing® Brake Proportioning Valves - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Nick

Pretty much same thing I am using. Got it at the local hot rod/race shop.

Race Shop

I used an adjustable Wilwood Unit. Ben very reliable.

For a little extra fun use an incab 7-position unit to adjust on the fly for varying conditions.:grinpimp:

Bought mine from Jegs.

attachment.php

Bought mine from Jegs.

attachment.php

Pappy - curious about the gold colored deal below the master in your pic... I understand that to be a stock proportioning and/or residual valve from the rear brake circuit on later model trucks? Appears you have that plumbed in for the front rather than the rear?

Am I understanding/seeing things wrong?

Pappy - curious about the gold colored deal below the master in your pic... I understand that to be a stock proportioning and/or residual valve from the rear brake circuit on later model trucks? Appears you have that plumbed in for the front rather than the rear?

That gold colored thing is nothing more than a three way split.

I'm sure you already know this, just wanted to make sure. When you finish the install and bleed the system make sure you do some test runs under heavy braking to make sure the front brakes lock up before the rears or an emergency stop in the rain could get real exciting.
For what it's worth, I used the adjustable wildwood valve and it was easy to adjust and works great. Did have to chase down the proper fittings, that was a pain.

make sure you do some test runs under heavy braking to make sure the front brakes lock up before the rears

You want the fronts to work more than the rears, but you really do not want the fronts to lock up at all, since you would loose steering control.

:meh:

Proportioning Valve

I used a Wilwood from a local race car parts house. Setting up the brake bias has been pretty hard. I still don't have it right.

I've got Monte Carlo disc beaks on the rear and mini truck brakes on the front and a (mini truck from JTO?)master cylinder Even with the proportioning valve turned all the way down the back is still getting to much pressure. The valve will only reduce the pressure 60%.

Do you have to mount the valve within a foot of the master cylinder like so many pictures on Mud? Mine is on the firewall near the heater.

One morning on my way to work a car pulled in front of me, slammed on the brakes to make a left turn. I hit my brakes, the back wheels locked up and the rear of the 40 around. I was able to do some stunt driving to get it under control. This scared the **** out of me.

I rebuilt my 1973 FJ40 in 2000. I wish I had Mud then for all the help. Get the bias right!!!!

I am putting together the same set-up using a Jegs PV. I tried to install it this weekend and the fittings did not match up with the standard FJ fittings. Any suggestions?

Also, regarding the gold piece below (3way). Can you leave the left side open without a line connected?

Looks like you been doing your homework.

If you have a flare tool you can cut ( what I did) the lines and plumb in the fitting you need. No need for adapters or other crap Less connections less leaks

Autozone wiLl lend a tool

Wilwood

I used a Wilwood as well.
-Chris
DSC04106.jpg

Looks like you been doing your homework.

If you have a flare tool you can cut ( what I did) the lines and plumb in the fitting you need. No need for adapters or other crap Less connections less leaks

Autozone wiLl lend a tool

Did you use a 3/16" line fitting for attachment to the Jegs PV?

I use a stock 78 master. I replaced the rear residual valve with a front residual valve, (both have same restriction) from a bad master. I use the stock fj40 proportion valve (no adjustment) both winter and summer, loaded and unloaded, and have no trouble with the rear disks locking up before the fronts.

I am putting together the same set-up using a Jegs PV. I tried to install it this weekend and the fittings did not match up with the standard FJ fittings. Any suggestions?

Also, regarding the gold piece below (3way). Can you leave the left side open without a line connected?

I think I figured this one out. I went to Auto Zone and purchased a pre-made brake line. They had a 10MM x 1.00 to a 3/8"-24 fitting on a 3/16" line (see picture). Does this look like it is plumbed right? The brake line that is on the top of the master cylinder is the front brakes. The brake line that exits the side of the master cylinder goes to the the IN on the Jegs PV. The brake line that enters the three way, right side, is the rear brake line. I just need to get one more pre-made line from AZ to go from the three way, bottom, to the OUT port of the Jegs PV.
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0161.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom