bought a new 8274 for the front of my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went and picked this up today after seeing the add in craigslist. I really don't know much about winches, so this will be a learning experience for me. It seems to work fine (pulls line in and out) and free spools but it is leaking oil and the brake seems loose. guess it is time to start a rebuild of it. I bought it for $375. I pulled all the cable off of it, it seemed pretty rough. I plan on putting on 100' of 3/8" Amsteel Blue winch line. Now I need to start working on my front bumper to accomodate this beast!

Nick

2010-09-09_21-48-43_29.jpg

2010-09-09_21-49-20_342.jpg

2010-09-09_21-52-14_240.jpg

2010-09-09_21-48-33_576.jpg

2010-09-09_21-49-40_232.jpg

Nice score on the winch! I hope I can find one like that too. It seems to me that in a recent article in 4WDToyota Owners Magazine there was an article that demonstrated how to rebuild a Warn 8274. I believe it was a factory demonstration.
x2 on the pics and progress!

nice find,there's many reviews, rebuilt's inf on the winch n recovery forum,,check it...

I've been looking at the forum and found several good rebuild links. I'm ready to start tearing into it and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into! I'll take lots of pics along the way.

Nick

That's sweet, have one on my wish list, hopefully sometime this year!

now might be the time to think about synthetic rope, just a thought, I have seen alot of write ups on 8274 rebuilds, it is nice to have help.I keep looking for one myself Good luck,

I really don't know much about winches, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Well you picked a hell of a way to start! Those brake mechanisms are diabolical, IMO, work over carpet or something so that when the balls launch they can't get far away.

Also note that I had a problem where the key on the brake shaft had deformed the long keyway juuust enough to lock most of the components that should slide free on said shaft firmly in place. I had to turn the shaft back to round (ish) with a lathe.

Dollars to donuts you find that case full of a nasty muddy sludgy oil/water/snot mix.

Follow Flintknapper's thread and get some new bearings and seals in that puppy!

Note: Make sure you locktite and fully tighten the bolt that retains the ratchet pawl, I did not and mine fell off. Luckily found a good used one on Ebay.

Thanks again for the comments, but i believe its reallly don't matter the grease on the plates pads,time,heat and rain will let the grease anyway cover the side of the plates. I mean on the long term, but when you use the winch the brake system its hold outside via the claw,the plates pads are to prevent metal to metal friction, i dont know maybe i'm wrong someone can school me better or explain in other way..but thanks Rigpig..

No one commented that you do not fill the brake with grease, or use any grease on the brake during assembly?

The discs are friction material; just like that of a drum brake or disc brake system.

So you grease your brake shoes and pads too? :eek:

DO NOT DO THIS!

attachment.php

I cannot believe that this is reference material out here.

The brake friction material on the winch, just like the brakes on your vehicle, were not ever intended to be greased.

If you cannot get the bearings to play along while reassembling the brake unit, try a few magnets on the bottom of the brake.

:wrench:

No one commented that you do not fill the brake with grease, or use any grease on the brake during assembly?

The discs are friction material; just like that of a drum brake or disc brake system.

So you grease your brake shoes and pads too? :eek:

DO NOT DO THIS!

I cannot believe that this is reference material out here.

The brake friction material on the winch, just like the brakes on your vehicle, were not ever intended to be greased.

If you cannot get the bearings to play along while reassembling the brake unit, try a few magnets on the bottom of the brake.

:wrench:

Ok thanks Poser. Does anyone have a preference on a shop to order the replacement parts from? Warn?

Yeah... no grease on the fricton material...

I bought my parts from the place referenced in FlintKnapper's thread. "Old-fashioned" service, but the price was good and the parts were correct.

those solenoids also look like junk.

I'd toss a tyco ev200 on the power in side, and replace the warn's on the power-out side.

Ok thanks Poser. Does anyone have a preference on a shop to order the replacement parts from? Warn?

DSI in SCHERTZ Tx 210-651-2000 ask for Mike tell him Joel sent ya they're the SW USA rebuilder for Warn:steer:

those solenoids also look like junk.

I'd toss a tyco ev200 on the power in side, and replace the warn's on the power-out side.

How can you tell by looking at them? How much does the tyco cost?

DSI in SCHERTZ Tx 210-651-2000 ask for Mike tell him Joel sent ya they're the SW USA rebuilder for Warn:steer:

I called them before I saw your reply and spoke w/ michael and got prices. I then called Dealers Truck Equip in Arkansas and their prices where significantly less for the same rebuild kits.

I ordered:

Lower Housing Rebuild Kit - 29.30
Brake Rebuild Kit -69.49
New Solinoid Cover - 35.46

No Tax. Shipping was about 10 bucks.

Called Warn and they are shipping me a new sticker set for my winch for free.

Nick

I just did a extensive rebuild on my 8274 last year. I replaced the bottom seals, rebuild brake assembly, replaced the top housing and free spool mechanism. Cost me about 500. I would recommend contacting WARN. There tech support is the best. Have them ID all of the replacement parts you need by number. They are not at all trying to sell parts so don't feel bad about not buying from them. I found that 4wheel parts were cheaper than the WARN site. Don't know why but they were. I ordered the parts by the manuf. number over the phone and they were available in 5 days. Make sure there isn't a crack in the side casing (talked about leaking oil) If there is then it will need to be welded up or use the winch for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom