Getting my 69 FJ40 Painted Now Holley Sniper EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrboatman

GOLD Star
Threads
This has been in the family for 40 years now so I have conceded to getting it painted. I have decided to go with sky blue and cygnus white top. The inside is have a liner on the floor tinted the same Sky Blue. Hope it comes out good !! Here is some pic`s of what they are starting with.

Driver Side.JPG
Passenger Side.JPG
Front.JPG

Have you dates your Cruiser? Guessing production is late 68 or early 69. I have a 68 which I purchased back in July 74. It's ready for paint again. At least being in the Southwest not dealing with rust repair.:cheers:

Yea I checked the man dates and it is May of 68. Yea no rust issues.

That would it a 68 titled as a 69. Not sure what month the 69 started but wasn't that early. 69 was a weird year that it started the same as 68 and then had a number of changes during the year. My 68 is from 9/67 and has the multiple changes between 67 and 68 models. Believe Capri Blue is what was used in 68 thru the early seventies. 74 being the last year and mid 65 being the first. That is the only light blue I remember seeing on FJ40s in the US during that time period. Can't remember the color of @Landpimp 65, thought it was blue.

Yeah according to the chart it is may 68 but it's titled as a 69 when my dad bought it in 77 it was pretty hacked up then. I took it over in 92 and proceeded to to blow it up, the bolt in the bottom of the timing gear cover came out going down the freeway. It was at that time that I discovered just how hacked it was the engine was a old siemees port and the transfer was older according to sourcing parts. So I found a 67 parts truck to get the trans and transfer out of and got a engine from sor a fire truck imported engine about 10 years ago I had to put a new head on it. Until about a year ago before I retired it was my daily driver. Now it's daily fun driver.

That could be horizontal or cadet blue, sky blue was not available until 75.

I vote for sky blue. biased though.

For a solid original 40 I expect that coating the inside with bedliner would push down the value.
That is a beautiful blue whatever it is.
Love the frog eye turn signals on that truck!

You have to be careful putting bedliner on a cruiser. By applying it with the spot weld construction these vehicles have, moisture and corrosives can creep up under the bedliner between the spot welds and accelerate rust.

/this\ x2

Thanks for the tips on the liner with spot weld construction. I did not know that would or could cause a problem. I was just thinking about a product that would hold up better than just paint not that I abuse it all the time but I do use it to haul what ever I need to. Thanks again for the info

JP

Thanks for the tips on the liner with spot weld construction. I did not know that would or could cause a problem. I was just thinking about a product that would hold up better than just paint not that I abuse it all the time but I do use it to haul what ever I need to. Thanks again for the info

JP

Modern SUVs and old Land Cruisers I just use a large rubber mat to protect the interior. Easy to pull out to clean or dry out if it gets wet inside. Would have to check but think I bought some universal trim to fit off eBay for around $20.

JP

This has been one of the hardest decisions on my build. I have decided to use SEM tintable chip guard on the floor and underside of the tub. It will be sandblasted to bare metal, epoxy primed and probably will not see and any rain or salt.

This may help to settle on a color:

I just went down this road a few months ago.

There was no consistent data on the color blue for my Jan '73 model. Perusing the paint chips all over was some help, but Toyota paint chips for the 70's weren't categorized by Toyota model.

My local paint supplier was very helpful in the quest to determine what blue was the correct blue, the results are detailed below.

Note that I took this picture the same day the samples were mixed, in direct sunlight so as to be most representative of the relative differences between the blues. The 'protected from sunlight' hinge was somewhat darker than the exterior body, given the age of the vehicle.

upload_2015-2-11_14-40-48-png.1030146

The hinge is from my '73 FJ40 rear hatch, hidden from sunlight for most of its 42 year life. The swatch next to it is R-M file color for 808 Horizontal Blue. Given the aged paint vs. the new paint sample, I'm certain my '73 is originally horizontal blue.

The upper right is Blue Gleam 1749, represented as an official Toyota color for the 1973 time frame. My FJ40 is definitely not that color.

The bottom right is a standard R-M color, "SB015.00", which was posted by splib as noted in posts 12 and 23 here:

Need Help With Capri Blue

It's clearly a contender for Capri Blue 310.

While not officially "Capri Blue", it is definitely has more of a gray tinge than the horizontal blue.

Apparently, even having original formulations for paint colors from 40 years ago doesn't mean they'll be 'on file' with current paint manufacturers for their entire range of paint qualities. Blue Gleam was available in various grades of paint, Horizontal Blue only in the econo line of R-M paint, while the SB015.00 was available in the mid- to high-grade products.

I used the R-M SB015.00 in a single stage urethane, no clear-coat. Multiple coats, wet sand out any orange peel, easy to maintain.

Spent the week running down paint samples and finally settled on a color. It`s a light blue called grabber blue. it is very close to Toyota #854 it is the second on from the left in the picture. Thanks to TractorDoc and all with all of the help and great suggestions. And yes color is one of the hardest decisions to make.
IMG_0748.JPG

This has been one of the hardest decisions on my build. I have decided to use SEM tintable chip guard on the floor and underside of the tub. It will be sandblasted to bare metal, epoxy primed and probably will not see and any rain or salt.

Doing the same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom