Front End Wobbly - Fluid All Over but Can't Find Source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grimmjow

YūGEN
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Back in an 80 for less than a month and already posting up an advice thread... It's a beautiful start of a love hate :)

Picked up a 91 with 179k miles in West Phoenix. Mechanic owned. Checked out when I bought it. 1 week later noticed a pretty significant leak in the far front driver side when removing the grill guard. Thought it might be a lose hose but couldn't find the source. Checked fluid levels and everything looks good.

Fast forward to today. Driving down the freeway and start feeling a timed bump. Pull over, check things out, nothing seems to be loose, pop back on the freeway, it gets worse. Feels like the whole front end is waving back and fourth. Take it slow and make it home. What could cause that? Bad steering stabilizer? Loose knuckle? Hard for me to determine since I cant see while driving.

Think I traced the fluid leak to the base of the steering arm just above the driver side axle. Looks like something has been spewing down the spring onto the tire and being kicked back against the fender wall. Open to any suggestions before finding a shop to bring it to.

Thanks in advance!

Most likely your power steering pump or box. Is oil red in color?

Last edited:
Check yer nuts. Knuckle stud hardware that’s is. 4 studs and nuts on bottom side of both knuckles. I’d verify they are in place ASAP before any more driving. Gone missing, they can have terrible consequences.

^That first. If good then start inspecting all your suspension bushings as well as verify the hub is not loose. At 179K it could be nearly anything

I also agree look to the power steering system first for that leak. That fluid if fresh will be red.

Most likely your power steering pump or box. Is oil red in color?

Put a piece of butcher paper under it last night. I'll check on the color today. Thanks!

^That first. If good then start inspecting all your suspension bushings as well as verify the hub is not loose. At 179K it could be nearly anything

I also agree look to the power steering system first for that leak. That fluid if fresh will be red.
Only if there's ATF in the system. Not everyone uses it, and a mechanic might know better. Also, there are ATF lines in the same area. @Grimmjow, check the color of the fluid in the PS reservoir, and find the actual leak before deciding how to fix it. If it's not obvious, a thorough engine cleaning might help.

I'd start with Lug nuts tightened; tire pressure; visually inspect each tire for defects; wheels balanced; then dig deeper.

Only if there's ATF in the system. Not everyone uses it, and a mechanic might know better. Also, there are ATF lines in the same area.

Sure actual power steering fluid could be red,pink,clear. Or brown/black if heavily contaminated. Based on the OP the description of “mechanic owned” is a little suspect.

Yes, ATF lines up there but I don’t suspect a leak there is going to cause a shimmy while driving. However multiple issues could be at hand.

@Grimmjow pictures are always good.

In addition to checking the knuckle studs, make sure you check the panhard bracket on the frame and that the panhard bolts in the front are as tight as you can possibly get them. Cracked panhard bracket is not uncommon on trucks especially ones that have been wheeled. If it's cracked/broken the front end can move a lot. Ask me how I know. ;)
crackedPanhardbracket.jpg

As for the leaks, PS pump and hoses are a common source. As is the oil pump cover seal. If they've been bad for a while and get really bad, they can leak a lot.

sent you a PM

I wonder if a "mechanic owned" 80 is similar to the old saying "the shoemaker's children go barefoot"? :hmm:

I wonder if a "mechanic owned" 80 is similar to the old saying "the shoemaker's children go barefoot"? :hmm:

Ha! I hope that's not the case, but not looking so good right out of the gate... I'll get under there and snap some pictures. Everything seems to be bolted pretty tight.

Found the "wobble" and feel borderline stupid... Finally determined it was coming from the back end driver's side. Was under there for a few hours racheting every bolt I could get to, everything was tight and looked good. Finally decided to pull the tire off and see if maybe one of the tire bolts had broken. Take the tire off and go to wheel it out and it flops right over.

Looks like it had an internal blow out. Don't know how I got so far without it actually popping. I've never seen anything like that before though, and needless to say when I put the spare on the wobble was gone. Really glad it was nothing suspension related. Thanks for all the advice! Now off to tackle the fluid leak!

IMG_1164.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom