Fox 2.0 vs Icon 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fox is great for empty 80s, once you add weight you need to start looking at either OME or much more expensive shocks.

I was really happy with my fox 2.0 at stock form but now that I am at 6000lbs the fox is still great for the road but a little under damped for off-roading.

Yes I sold them cheap and paid coin for radflo 2.5 remote reservoir. I was told by a few people the 80 is a big heavy truck for 2.0 shocks. The radflo are 100% user Serviceable. The larger oil capacity should keep them cooler and go longer between rebuilds

Very nice. Do you have part #s and specs on your Radflos?

Fox is great for empty 80s, once you add weight you need to start looking at either OME or much more expensive shocks.

I was really happy with my fox 2.0 at stock form but now that I am at 6000lbs the fox is still great for the road but a little under damped for off-roading.

I’m coming to that same conclusion.

The Fox 2.0 is a Rebuildable IFP shock, any knowledgeable shock guy can rebuild and revalve for a fraction of the cost of new shocks.
For the money spent on new shocks I would add reservoir's and revalve for the extra weight

FYI The RadFlo will require all the same shock tools and nitrogen filling needle.
So it's not really DIY....unless you have the tools, about a $300 purchase

Last edited:
The Fox 2.0 is a Rebuildable IFP shock, any knowledgeable shock guy can rebuild and revalve for a fraction of the cost of new shocks.
For the money spent on new shocks I would add reservoir's and revalve for the extra weight

FYI The RadFlo will require all the same shock tools and nitrogen filling needle.

You might be right but when I contacted fox they would not sell any rebuild seals, parts or offer any support information for rebuilding the 2.0 myself. They said they needed to be sent in and rebuilt at $75 a shock. Also they told me they could not add reservoirs the the 2.0 smooth body that I had.

Maybe a shock shop could do it. But Fox did not offer that support to me.

Is adding a resevoir possible on any 2.0 shock? I have the slinky icons 2.0s. I couldnt afford the resevoir versions, but if i can add them some day that would be great.

Is adding a resevoir possible on any 2.0 shock? I have the slinky icons 2.0s. I couldnt afford the resevoir versions, but if i can add them some day that would be great.
Each shock and each manufacturer is different. Just check with them.

One thing I can add as a Fox shock guy myself for my bike shocks & MX bike (YZ250) - Fox QC was in the toilet in the '15-'16 model & even some early '17 ones.

They were going downhill real fast (lots have pooped their Fox shocks on 80's) -- but for the '18 model year started selling in ~8/'17 they really tightened their junk.

I was close to swapping my OME's in '16 when the rash of blown shocks hit - people were even blowing MX forks & even rear bike shocks in mass.

They retooled or changed their vendor, IDK which - either way the bike & MX division is far more reliable now than 2 yrs ago. IDK the automotive division, but they did mine & many other rebuilds with newer design seals complimentary even if you were just outside a warranty window.

You can add reservoirs to any fox shock 2.0 you need to be a little crafty but it can be done. Basically you would remove the Schrader valve make a hose and add the reservoir, oil and nitrogen

Carver Performance
This place used to Deycore, they sell tools, parts, they might have tech dept.
This is where I get parts

You might be right but when I contacted fox they would not sell any rebuild seals, parts or offer any support information for rebuilding the 2.0 myself. They said they needed to be sent in and rebuilt at $75 a shock. Also they told me they could not add reservoirs the the 2.0 smooth body that I had.

Sonny @ Downsouth was able to provide rebuild kits for me when my Fox IFP 2.0's went, I sold the kits with the blown shocks and switched to ICON 2.0's. Hard to say the difference as I changed springs at the same time, but I'm very happy with my ICON's so far.

I don't want to get off track but I too have been debating the same Icon vs FOX. My needs don't exactly warrant that level of shock, so I started eyeing Doetsch because they are priced similar to OME shocks.

I just emailed Doetsch about their 2.0 monotube with all the specs on my truck (weight, spring rates, lengths, mounts, etc). If they can valve me a 10-12" travel monotube for $80 it's a no brainer for me. Why pay more for a FOX or Icon if the ride/valving is comparable and the cost for a whole shock is the same as a rebuild? I'm also not impressed with the life many have been getting from both brands, so can Doetsch be any worse?

2.0 Monotube-Offroad
Doetsch also has reservoir options and rebuildable options.

Last edited:
I’m running the Fox 2.0’s, have for a few years now. I replaced my old Foxes with new ones when I went to a taller spring. I commute 70 miles a day and wheel 1-2 weekends a month. My truck is over 6800 loaded up for a long weekend trip and I haven’t had any problems with my shocks when crawling or when hitting the desert roads harder at 50+ mph. Shocks aside, I found the bigger suspension variable to be running a spring suitable for the weight your carrying. Running extra heavy rear springs has made my truck much more stable. Not as much body roll when transitioning from one obstacle to the next. Wallering has been reduced and the rear feels much more planted. Also how you pack the truck makes a huge difference. I try to keep the cooler, water, and firewood over the rear axle.

Dylan from Icon is on here and supports the board, when in doubt I would try and support the vendors that support us. Especially when Fox seems to have a rash of leaking shocks.

1991-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-80series-3-suspension-system-stage3.jpg

The OE Fox range is seeing what we see with most replies in this thread so far, and are really only a std replacement as the OE refers to.

40-60k miles is about it, and they ride more like an OE shock on a std truck, or a heavy one, which as people are finding isnt ideal.

We used to buy alot of fox 2.0 parts and build our own before going to Icon.

We used to do King 2.5s previous to Icon as well.

In comparison using the Icon 2.0s, we are finding 80-100k miles is easily achievable, and we find the valving very good on trucks up to the vehicles Gross vehicle mass. Over with passengers as a weekender they still offer good life.

The ride control is waaaaaaay better than the OE stuff of others.

Part of the Icon design being a little longer also helps with lifespan by preventing the shock topping out, and slide hammering itself.

We have had afew 2.0s [less than 3] that have expanded the alloy body from jumping heavy touring trucks and hard landings, and we have had 4 in 4 years with a leak, out of the hundreds and hundreds [maybe thousands] we have sold or installed here in Australia.

If your truck is over the GVM, and you want reliability, just go the 2.5s, we are finding apart from checking gas pressures, we are seeing 100-125k miles before rebuilding or requiring servicing here for our use.

Some may say we are biased, because we sell Icon, where as I would say we sell Icon, because we have had every shock manufacturer make shocks for us, and it is the best in each range we can use.

If I wouldnt run it on my own vehicle, we dont sell it.

Hope that helps.

Dylan from Icon is on here and supports the board, when in doubt I would try and support the vendors that support us. Especially when Fox seems to have a rash of leaking shocks.

1991-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-80series-3-suspension-system-stage3.jpg

My front Icons started leaking within 6 months.

We’ll see what they’re like when I get them back, but going by this first impression of them the ride is nice but they don’t like actually being used on dirt.

Hopefully I’m wrong about that.

What’s Icon 2.0 price? Comparing to fox which costs only 125 a piece might not be a fair comparison. I’ve also heard leaking icon problems.

Listed at $167.95 on their site, I believe it was around $350 delivered. The ones that the slinky lift offers are apparently revalved so they are considerably more, from what I’ve heard.

For what it’s worth, the rear shocks I have from Icon are holding up fine, I suspect because they came with shock boots. I picked up a pair for the fronts so when I get them back I’ll put them on and see if that helps with longevity.

I have been pleased with radflos 2.5 with resi. In my opinion buy once and be done. These were night and day difference to the smaller cheaper options. I would try icon 2.5 but not fox

I think any 2.0 shock is going to get smoked pretty quick on a rig this heavy if you do much offroad at all. My tacoma weighs 4000 pounds and has dual 2.5's in the front and 3.0's in the rear, just to give you an idea of how overworked 2" shocks are going to be. For comparison, a single 2.5" shock has TWICE as much fluid as the same length 2.0. Heat kills seals! On my duramax, I have dual 2.0" Fox resi shocks and they last about 30K miles before puking oil. It's not the shocks fault, it's the wrong application. I know, I know, the factory emulsion shocks lasted you 29 years of running the Baja 1000. The truth is they suck even when brand new and you know it. The factory shocks are undervalved mushy turds that overheat on gravel roads. I think the only thing that saves them is cavitation. The piston isn't doing any work and doesn't produce much heat when it's floating through foaming oil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom