A343 VS the A442F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would call HGM Electronics in California. They make Compushift which is a stand alone TCU for all sorts of applications. Guy, one of the owners, is incredibly knowledgeable about all things transmissions and electronics. I was able to work extensively with him at one point to put an A750F behind a Cummins R2.8 tuned to 200hp/400ftlbs in an 80 series with the factory console but used a 100 series gated shifter. If you are looking at keeping a Toyota trans and the 80 Tcase then the A750F is a great option as the TCase bolts up and overall length is nearly the same as the 343. It even mounts the same as the 343 and requires no driveshaft changes. A750 is stronger and 11% more efficient on paper but you already have the 343's.

Between 442 and 343, I prefer the 343. I own both and the 343 at 366k miles seems in better shape than the 442 at 259k miles. I've have a turbo'd 1fz in front of the 343 and have yet to do a shift kit to help out. You would likely benefit from the transgo shift kit to hold more power if you stick with the 343.
I was looking at the compushift site last night. I seems that have it pretty much figured out in terms of the controller.

I have a transgo kit on hand as it happens. ;)

Mark...

I’ve had two A440’s, an A442, and an A343. Of all those I’ve had the 442 the longest and had the least trouble with it. The 440’s and the 343 both seemed to be equal in how picky they are about fluid level and kickdown adjustment in the 440’s.

The 343 was sub 100,000 miles and was the softest feeling and shifting and I never felt like it was firm enough. I didn't have it long enough to turn the pressure knob.

The A440’s were fine for what the were hooked to.

The 442 I’ve never had a single issue with. I’m still waiting for my solenoids to go out ( use the Isuzu AW450 solenoids) but I’m around 300,000 and still no issues.

The 343 is easier/cheaper to beef up than the 442, but it can also be done. I think it’s interesting that the 442 stayed in cruisers in the rest of the world, but I’d drive a 442 or 343 happily.

I recall the A343 does have a taller first gear, which may be a factor for some. I don't think it's a huge difference, but something. Already pretty tall if you try to descend a hill in 4 low without the brakes.

Never had A343, so can't say much. I will say the A442 shifts smoothly compared to my A440, but I like the shifter on the A440 more, including the very easy shift override button (which, IMO, is a good safety feature based on past experience.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom