A343 VS the A442F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
I have both sitting here and the 442 is much heavier than the 343. How is the 343 as much transmission as the 442? Obviously there is less metal involved.

Last edited:
I've beat on both pretty hard and the torque converter has been the weak link. The converter limits the torque you can put through them. In good condition, with line pressures increased, the converter clutch doesn't like more than 600 ft/lbs.

In that sense I think Toyota realized the 34X series could do the same job as the overkill 442, and it does.

I have grown to prefer the 343 as it's more reliable. The 442's like to eat solenoids. Some way more than others.

I do feel a good condition 442 with pressures increased has a crisper, superior shift to the 343. I'd attribute that to the much larger internals handling power better, but the 343 doesn't blow up even though it's not as solid.

Sounds like experience with both but I’m not clear on which you prefer. Solid? Dependable?

Sounds like experience with both but I’m not clear on which you prefer. Solid? Dependable?
I prefer the 343. The 442 is less reliable because of the solenoid issue, the 343 always works.

I guess what I'd say is I've put more power than they can handle through both and backed it off to just under their slipping threshold. Both handle the power equally mediocre, like an auto trans from 30 years ago.

They're both tough, but the 343 wins because it always works.

I prefer the 343. The 442 is less reliable because of the solenoid issue, the 343 always works.

I guess what I'd say is I've put more power than they can handle through both and backed it off to just under their slipping threshold. Both handle the power equally mediocre, like an auto trans from 30 years ago.

Thanks for that. Plus the 343 has this xtra button.

Any thoughts on the 440? Pondering a swap eventually where the lack of electronics would be a plus. I am aware of the failures in the earlier applications, which I have always attributed to lack of cooling. I have heard mutterings of good things about it around the fringes of Cruiser chats and I remember looking as some Toyota technical info that made it seem to be much stouter unit than I had originally expected. Have you had reason to pay any attention to it?

Mark...

Any thoughts on the 440? Pondering a swap eventually where the lack of electronics would be a plus. I am aware of the failures in the earlier applications, which I have always attributed to lack of cooling. I have heard mutterings of good things about it around the fringes of Cruiser chats and I remember looking as some Toyota technical info that made it seem to be much stouter unit than I had originally expected. Have you had reason to pay any attention to it?

Mark...

I'm picky about how things drive. I really don't like hydraulic governor transmissions. Every shift is a compromise.

I'm pretty sold on an auto requiring an advanced computer and great programming to be acceptable.

If you want no electronics I'd highly recommend a stickshift.

Mark...

What power plant in front Mark?

What power plant in front Mark?
1993 mechanical injected 6.5 turbo diesel. Possibly a 6.2 with either the Gale Banks turbo or the ATS turbo setup. I have all three on hand. The ATS setup *may* have a slight edge in fitment concerns. I know that there are standalone brains for the 442. Not sure if there are for the 343. But since the engine will already be brainless, extending that to the tranny has a bit of appeal to me.

Mark...

Man that’s a lot of power for the 440. I’d move forward a generation.

442/3 might be the only things that will take that power comfortably from the Toyota world without jumping a complete generation into the 2000’s with the A750F.

Man that’s a lot of power for the 440. I’d move forward a generation.

442/3 might be the only things that will take that power comfortably from the Toyota world without jumping a complete generation into the 2000’s with the A750F.
That has been my assumption for a long time as I have pondered this swap, waiting to have the right selection of bits and pieces available (thinking about selling on of the '80s to fund the build of another that is currently without a powertrain). I just recently started reading a little here and there that has me wondering if the 440 is as out of the question as I had always assumed. I definitely prefer the drivability of the 442 and 343. Chances are I will simply stop worrying about simplifying electronics and go with a 442.

I do have a performance built 700R4. But adapters to the TC or using a GM TC really doesn't appeal to me.

Mark...

On the Aussie turbo groups they lust for the 343 because the 442 can’t take the power they’re putting down. I’ve heard anecdotally that the 343 can handle much more power and abuse than the 442. I’m currently rebuilding one with upgrades clutches to handle the higher hp from my turbo.

On the Aussie turbo groups they lust for the 343 because the 442 can’t take the power they’re putting down. I’ve heard anecdotally that the 343 can handle much more power and abuse than the 442. I’m currently rebuilding one with upgrades clutches to handle the higher hp from my turbo.
I had not heard that the 343 was considered more suitable to higher power than the 442. I have to admit, I have not spend a lot of time delving into the differences between the 2. That's intriguing, because I have a couple of low mileage 343's on hand. One of which is actually sitting on the shelf. And the rig that I'm considering for the swap already has a 343 in it as well.

I should look to see what the situation is for stand alone brains for the 343.

Mark...

Thanks for that. Plus the 343 has this xtra button.
The 343 was used for 3 years and was the successor to the 442, which was used for only 2 years with US spec 80’s (‘93 -‘97). I think I’d also choose the 343, with the info posted in this thread. Although, the 442 in my ‘94 has been flawless, for 300K miles, towing occasionally and seeing some tough miles. I did switch to Amsoil synthetic ATF at about 150K, though, so I am a little prejudiced…lol

I had not heard that the 343 was considered more suitable to higher power than the 442. I have to admit, I have not spend a lot of time delving into the differences between the 2. That's intriguing, because I have a couple of low mileage 343's on hand. One of which is actually sitting on the shelf. And the rig that I'm considering for the swap already has a 343 in it as well.

I should look to see what the situation is for stand alone brains for the 343.

Mark...
I’m currently working on getting mine to work through haltech. There’s a company in oz that makes a unit for it as well, but i can’t remember the name.

Maybe also run the question by these guys in Oz, they have significant experience with these transmissions:

That has been my assumption for a long time as I have pondered this swap, waiting to have the right selection of bits and pieces available (thinking about selling on of the '80s to fund the build of another that is currently without a powertrain). I just recently started reading a little here and there that has me wondering if the 440 is as out of the question as I had always assumed. I definitely prefer the drivability of the 442 and 343. Chances are I will simply stop worrying about simplifying electronics and go with a 442.

I do have a performance built 700R4. But adapters to the TC or using a GM TC really doesn't appeal to me.

Mark...
I would call HGM Electronics in California. They make Compushift which is a stand alone TCU for all sorts of applications. Guy, one of the owners, is incredibly knowledgeable about all things transmissions and electronics. I was able to work extensively with him at one point to put an A750F behind a Cummins R2.8 tuned to 200hp/400ftlbs in an 80 series with the factory console but used a 100 series gated shifter. If you are looking at keeping a Toyota trans and the 80 Tcase then the A750F is a great option as the TCase bolts up and overall length is nearly the same as the 343. It even mounts the same as the 343 and requires no driveshaft changes. A750 is stronger and 11% more efficient on paper but you already have the 343's.

Between 442 and 343, I prefer the 343. I own both and the 343 at 366k miles seems in better shape than the 442 at 259k miles. I've have a turbo'd 1fz in front of the 343 and have yet to do a shift kit to help out. You would likely benefit from the transgo shift kit to hold more power if you stick with the 343.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom