FJ60 Seatbelt Planet- Rear retractable seat belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call Seatbelt Planet and tell them what you have. They will put you on the line with a guy that knows all the ins and outs of the LC mod. He set me up with both rears, new center, and both front belt replacements. It worked out GREAT. I got lucky with threaded nut existing, Flip a coin or cut a small hole to see if the thread is in there! click here Rear belt kit FJ60

Call Seatbelt Planet and tell them what you have. They will put you on the line with a guy that knows all the ins and outs of the LC mod. He set me up with both rears, new center, and both front belt replacements. It worked out GREAT. I got lucky with threaded nut existing, Flip a coin or cut a small hole to see if the thread is in there! click here Rear belt kit FJ60

Thanks! I'm gonna assume the grey color option matches the stock grey seatbelts? Anyone know?

You can stick needle into the hole where the nut should be and feel around for threads. If you are curious but not immediately wanting to cut the hole.

has anyone ordered the brown belts? Did they match well?

View attachment 1803282

This is literally what Seatbelt planet needs to do with one of the retractors they sell for the front. You get the retractor, bracket and metal mounting plate. Photo shamelessly taken from @4Cruisers

So.. if you can get a retractor with the correct length and matching shoulder loop to the front. You can fabricate a mounting bracket to work.

Word is that 80 rear retractors will also fit with the same type of modifications.
Nook,

Can I ask where you got these rear retractable seatbelts? I'm looking for this exactly. I ordered some rears from seatbeltplanet and they won't work to get that recessed OEM look. They're really meant to be externally mounted. I've cut the cavity out and was about to mount them when I realized they wouldn't work without a custom fabbed bracket. Appreciate the assist. Thanks

Nook,

Can I ask where you got these rear retractable seatbelts? I'm looking for this exactly. I ordered some rears from seatbeltplanet and they won't work to get that recessed OEM look. They're really meant to be externally mounted. I've cut the cavity out and was about to mount them when I realized they wouldn't work without a custom fabbed bracket. Appreciate the assist. Thanks

I bought 62 retractors and trim panels from someone parting out a 89-90. Then sent the retractors to seatbelt planet to get re-webbed.

It was a more expensive route. If you can bolt it in like the photo in the post you replied to you can save a good bit by using what you have. Another potential option would be to look at using the OEM A pillar mounting bracket and see if that could be used to help recess the belt retractor.

Do you have any pictures of how your trying to mock it up?

I bought 62 retractors and trim panels from someone parting out a 89-90. Then sent the retractors to seatbelt planet to get re-webbed.

It was a more expensive route. If you can bolt it in like the photo in the post you replied to you can save a good bit by using what you have. Another potential option would be to look at using the OEM A pillar mounting bracket and see if that could be used to help recess the belt retractor.

Do you have any pictures of how your trying to mock it up?

Ended up fabbing up a bracket to recess the seatbeltplanet retractables. Kind of a pain, but in the end worth it. I realized if I couldn't fab something up, it would require me to drop more cash on OEM belts if I could find them. One side done. Let's see how tomorrow goes. Thanks for the reply. Jaime

Does anyone have a pic of the original mounting in a 62? I am now working on sourcing the trim pieces thanks to @JramFJ, but what really concerns me is the mounting of the retractable lower pieces.
I am thinking of some steel strapping inside the panel?

1581215625762.jpeg

Here are the 62 retractors I added to my 83.

1581215734789.jpeg

A pillar bracket I was suggesting in the comment above. If you sourced a set and flipped them side to side you could use them as a recessed bracket for the rears possibly.

Hey folks, does anyone have pictures of the Seatbelt Planet retractor install in a FJ60? I have the threaded nut up top, but am trying to figure out if I need to drill any additional holes in the frame or fab a bracket for the retractor. I don't have the tools or metal to fab a bracket, or to drill a hole in the wheel well if it requires more then basic drill bits for wood (no carbide or lubricating oil here...).

My plan was to mount the retractor in the FJ62 stock position in hope there's a magical bracket with the Seatbelt Planet kit, and then probably need to drill a hole in the wheel well like @roadstr6 to mount the lower end of the belt. No idea how I'm going to drill the hole in the wheel well with just basic wood drill bits... one problem at a time.

Hey folks, does anyone have pictures of the Seatbelt Planet retractor install in a FJ60? I have the threaded nut up top, but am trying to figure out if I need to drill any additional holes in the frame or fab a bracket for the retractor. I don't have the tools or metal to fab a bracket, or to drill a hole in the wheel well if it requires more then basic drill bits for wood (no carbide or lubricating oil here...).

My plan was to mount the retractor in the FJ62 stock position in hope there's a magical bracket with the Seatbelt Planet kit, and then probably need to drill a hole in the wheel well like @roadstr6 to mount the lower end of the belt. No idea how I'm going to drill the hole in the wheel well with just basic wood drill bits... one problem at a time.
You don't have to drill into the wheel well unless you want to. You can just unbolt the old rear seat belt and use the existing seatbelt bolt under the rear seat at the corners nearest to the door. I drilled and later figured out I didn't really need to.

Love to see an install of the seatbelt planet in a 60. Also it says it only fits up to a 1985... I have an 87. Thanks!

You don't have to drill into the wheel well unless you want to. You can just unbolt the old rear seat belt and use the existing seatbelt bolt under the rear seat at the corners nearest to the door. I drilled and later figured out I didn't really need to.

This is what I ended up doing - using the existing seatbelt bolt under the rear seat closest to the door. It didn't intrude in the cargo area ... have happily slept on the carpet in the back twice now.

There was no magical bracket for the retractor, but I just bolted it to the frame roughly in the FJ62 position.

Love to see an install of the seatbelt planet in a 60. Also it says it only fits up to a 1985... I have an 87. Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of my install and my truck is away from me... when I have access to it again, I'll post some.

I put a set in my '87 60...much easier than some would lead you to believe. Works great. Install starts with last post on p.3 and goes into p.4 .

I had them re-web stock 62 rear belts and installed them in my 83.

If you have a threaded pillar, you can do it with fronts for whatever year color matches your 60/62 from seatbelt planet.

It does require cutting sheet metal if you want them recessed. As well as creating a cross mount. The seatbelt planet front belts won't come with a bracket for actual front replacement you re-use the OEM bracket.

View attachment 1680227 View attachment 1680228 View attachment 1680229 View attachment 1680230

To use them in the rear application you would need to fabricate a mount (which could simply be a piece of heavy gauge sheet meta) to allow you to bolt the retractor to the panel.

You can also bolt them to the outside of the panel. I noticed that Icon or TLC did this in a video they did on a build they did.

View attachment 1680231

You can also see that done in this thread post #60.

The Rushing Turdle

Hope that helps.
Curious if you had the threaded nut on both sides of the pillar stock? I unfortunately only have it on one side and it seems like a super long shot that I can get the threaded plate worked all the way up the pillar and get it to hold long enough to thread the bolt in? Any advice is appreciated...
I called 2 body shops and have emails to a couple hot rod shops about cutting a larger access hole so they can weld the threaded plate in place. I plan to reach out to TorFab tomorrow since I have an appt with them at the end of the month, but my kids are dying ride in the new cruiser now that I have a 88 rear seat upper and the seatbelts most of the way in.

My 83 had a thread but on both sides.

Technique I have heard of for threading that is feed string on top bolt hole down into pillar. Is a shop vac at the bottom to help it down towards the quarter panel.

Tie on threaded plate, apply epoxy to the surface of the plate. Pull cord to get plate up.

Once up in place allow to tack up enough to hold itself inside the pillar and then thread bolt in to center and pull tight against the back of the pillar.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom