Builds My first FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the day off so I gave Chloe some attention...

Installed the rock sliders I got from White Knuckle Offroad. I had decided that these would eventually go onto truck #2, but putting them on Chloe was a lot easier than finding a place to store them or continuing to trip over them in the garage. Should work pretty well as a step for the kids anyway.

Replaced my manifold to exhaust pipe gasket. Looks like I fixed the exhaust leak I found there while monkeying around with the carb.

Started re-finishing the FJ62 mirrors I harvested from truck #2.

Added some Seafoam to the gas tank. Carb acted up yesterday even after replacing the accelerator plunger that had a worn seal and the deteriorated rubber boot and running fine for a day and a half. The foam was on sale and I guess it can't hurt. Maybe it'll just help flush out any grungy parts until I have the time for a full carb rebuild.

Fingers crossed because we're about to load her up for the first family camping trip. Of course it's gonna drop into the 20's tonight...I'm sure we'll be fine ;)

View attachment 2128223

How was was this install? Picking mine up next week..Did you run into any issues or modifications?

How was was this install? Picking mine up next week..Did you run into any issues or modifications?

Install was pretty straightforward. Only parts were 1) says to "replace the 12 bolts on the inside of the frame rail holding the hard-lines with the bolts and spacers provided"...there are more than 12. No biggie, just start with the 2 up front where the frame bends up towards the PS front wheel and work back 12 bolts. 2) I had to cut a small section (about 1.5"X3") of the DS of my skid plate so the U-bolt could get in the right position. The instructions tell you this specifically for FJ62s and possibly later FJ60s.

If you don't have help, grab 2 jack stands to hold it while you slide under to bolt it up. Took me about an hour, but that included throwing the ball for the dog and talking to the neighbor.

Just got back from our first Cub Scout camping trip with the kids. Packed up the LC and drove about an hour to the event site on Friday night. Everything ran well on the way out there no problem. Temps dropped to 25* that night and I couldn't get her started in the morning. Around lunchtime it had warmed up and I got it started, idled for a bit to warm it up, then did a couple laps around the entire camp to give the battery some juice. This morning when we were ready to leave, no start :confused:. I tried throwing the propane stove under the front end for a while to warm the engine compartment, but no bueno. Eventually I ended up pulling the air cleaner assembly, unhooking the fuel filter to get some gas in a container, then poured some gas directly into the carb. Got it fired up, but I learned a couple things. 1) I definitely need to do that carb re-build 2) I think I'll add a can of starter spray to my onboard supplies. Since trying to get it started was killing the battery, I may look into a solar powered trickle charger like you'd use on a boat in storage. That'd be the cheap and easy answer, but would like to eventually add a duel battery. Kinda tapped out of funds for this thing for now though.

Dude props on the rear retractable seatbelts. I need to do this as my wife does not like my kids riding in the 60. My C-pillar has a drilled and threaded hole for the shoulder strap. Did you get your set through Seatbelt Planet? What rear retractable seatbelts did you get?

What rear retractable seatbelts did you get?

Yep, Seat Belt Planet. My wife was the same. I went with the FJ62 replacement rear belts (belts) because the ones that come up for a 60 are non-retractable. The longest part of the install was getting the nut set in the pillar, but it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones.

My little one (5 yr old) loves it now because the belt fits her properly without a booster seat and she can see everything from the windows.

I 2nd that with the kids! My 8 year old doesn't need booster and the 5 year old is border line. They both love riding in the cruiser and the view out.
I got the seatbelt planet belts with re-tractors. The kit was easy to install for the most part. The Seatbelt Planet part number is 5033165 and included a new center lap belt. I also replaced both my front belts as the driver side was shot. Pics are before i got side panels back on. You can reach thru body and hold very large washer at retractor. They are very well made and work perfectly. Glad i did it.

2019-10-29 16.34.28.jpg

2019-10-29 16.34.32.jpg

2019-10-29 16.35.01.jpg

2019-10-29 16.35.23.jpg

I 2nd that with the kids! My 8 year old doesn't need booster and the 5 year old is border line. They both love riding in the cruiser and the view out.
I got the seatbelt planet belts with re-tractors. The kit was easy to install for the most part. The Seatbelt Planet part number is 5033165 and included a new center lap belt. I also replaced both my front belts as the driver side was shot. Pics are before i got side panels back on. You can reach thru body and hold very large washer at retractor. They are very well made and work perfectly. Glad i did it.

View attachment 2129966

View attachment 2129967

View attachment 2129968

View attachment 2129970
Is that color the gray 65?

Just got back from our first Cub Scout camping trip with the kids. Packed up the LC and drove about an hour to the event site on Friday night. Everything ran well on the way out there no problem. Temps dropped to 25* that night and I couldn't get her started in the morning. Around lunchtime it had warmed up and I got it started, idled for a bit to warm it up, then did a couple laps around the entire camp to give the battery some juice. This morning when we were ready to leave, no start :confused:. I tried throwing the propane stove under the front end for a while to warm the engine compartment, but no bueno. Eventually I ended up pulling the air cleaner assembly, unhooking the fuel filter to get some gas in a container, then poured some gas directly into the carb. Got it fired up, but I learned a couple things. 1) I definitely need to do that carb re-build 2) I think I'll add a can of starter spray to my onboard supplies. Since trying to get it started was killing the battery, I may look into a solar powered trickle charger like you'd use on a boat in storage. That'd be the cheap and easy answer, but would like to eventually add a duel battery. Kinda tapped out of funds for this thing for now though.

If it struggles to start when it’s cold, you may need to adjust the choke. When you pull the choke knob, is the choke plate on the carb closing all the way?

Pull the air filter off and verify, if not, the fsm has adjustment procedures.

When you pull the choke knob, is the choke plate on the carb closing all the way?

Yes, it was closing all the way. The odd thing that I noticed that it's never done before was when I manually actuated the accelerator plunger to give it gas, I didn't get a squirt of gas into the barrel. When I poured some in and fired it up, no issue at all giving it gas. When I pull it apart I'm going to take a look at the position of the passage where the gas should have come from the bowl. The only other thing I can think is that because I had to park on a decline (not super extreme though) the fuel was way "forward" in the bowl and I was just pumping air until it fired up and created a little extra suction. I'm totally new to this level of automobile involvement, so I'm just guessing here. :meh:

Temps are dropping to about 22* tonight here at the house. I think I'll pull her out of the garage so I can semi-recreate the conditions and try again tomorrow.

If the accelerator pump isn’t squirting fuel, that’s a problem.

Next time time it’s ready for a cold start, regardless of outside temps, see what the fuel level is in the bowl via the sight glass.

If the accelerator pump isn’t squirting fuel, that’s a problem.

Next time time it’s ready for a cold start, regardless of outside temps, see what the fuel level is in the bowl via the sight glass.

It was full. It has consistently been at the upper end of the range shown in the FSM. I also replaced the pump plunger with and OEM leather cup one and a new rubber boot over the top last week. Soaked the leather in 90 weight for about 6 hours before install.

Are you driving an FJ or HJ? Obviously in Canada you're dealing with more cold weather than I am...how cold can you go and not have any real starting issues?

I have a US import FJ60. I don’t have cold start issues with it ever, I also had a clunker 60 around last winter that started cold without issues. Its the hot starts that take a bit of footwork with the accelerator pedal.

When it’s cold you need a rich mixture to help it fire. This is achieved with a squirt of fuel, and the choke plate closing altering the air/fuel ratio.

If there is fuel in the bowl, you need to figure out why the accelerator pump isn’t squirting fuel. If it’s consistently not squirting, it must be a dog to drive?

If it’s consistently not squirting, it must be a dog to drive?

That's the only time it has happened since I replaced the plunger. Prior to that the issue was more gas was spilling out past the plunger than could make it into the barrel. The only variable that changed was being parked nose first downhill...again, didn't think it was that extreme. She fired on the first try once I poured some gas down and closed the choke. Purred right along for the next hour and a half home with a mix of on highway and through small town driving.

Had a great time on our first camping trip with the scouts. The kids loved packing up and taking the LC. I was able to get everything we needed for 4 people easily packed in the back and off we headed. The kids learned some rock climbing and rappelling skills. Super proud of them as they showed no fear and didn't hesitate to go up or come down!
IMG_0362.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg

Had that starting issue I mentioned earlier. It had nothing to do with the cold. I started taking a closer look today and I'm not getting any gas to prime the carb when I pump the pedal. Or as my buddy says...no squirt, squirt. Went ahead and started pulling it apart for the re-build o_O
IMG_0400.jpeg

Didn't have time today to devote to fully tearing the carb down so I turned my attention to knocking out a couple other smaller projects I haven't finished. Put a final coat of paint on the FJ62 mirrors I harvested from my '85 FJ60 project truck and mounted them on Chloe. Also grabbed the '85s headrests that were in better shape than Chloe's originals. Much, much better.....
IMG_0409.jpeg
IMG_0410.jpeg

I'll work on the carb re-build over the week in between classes and such. I've driven Chloe for a couple months now and have begun to move past the "honeymoon stage". I'm noticing her quirks and minor faults and think it's time to go ahead and begin addressing things I see before there's a major problem.

In addition to pulling the carb and finishing the mirrors, I worked on a little electrical project. I grabbed some bits and pieces I had laying around and made a 12v work light. While I was out getting primer for the '85, I grabbed a cheap 12v socket splitter and 40 feet of wire. I chopped off the 2 receptacle ends of the splitter and added long leads with a couple marine LED lights I had.
IMG_0365.jpeg

Add a few connecters and some heat shrink....
IMG_0366.jpeg

Now I've got some LED lights that can reach from my 12v outlet on the back of the center console to just about anywhere on the truck. I just want to add some magnets to the backs of the lights and wrap the leads in something to help prevent tangling. Works pretty good.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

What front seats are you running? They look great.
Hey @MACFJ60 The front seats are original as are the back, but fortunately this cruiser didn't have many rear passengers as far as i could tell. The fronts are a different story but in order to get this thing more presentable for the time being i found those front seat covers at Advanced Auto Parts for $40! It beats 1k upholstery job many times over for now! Many people have thought they look good for what they are........."it even has airbags!" :rofl:

Soooo....admittedly I’m a bit impatient. I got bored after the kids went to bed and started my carb tear down. Pretty straightforward while watching Pin Head’s video series and having read the FSM section a couple times. For as good as the truck had been running, I found a few interesting things....

LOTS of what looks like rust particles... I would say possibly from the gas tank, but I put a fuel filter in 3 weeks ago have run 2 tanks through it. It still looks as clean as when I pulled it out of the package.

This is where the fuel line attaches
972D22DF-20F5-4E02-90AC-AD69405326C2.jpeg

2) there was no little ball in the check valve under the accelerator plunger sping

3) this random fat rubber o-ring looking thing was floating around in the bowl. Anyone know what it is? Nothing like that in Pin Head’s video and I’m having a hard time finding it in the parts schematic in the rebuild kit. @NeverGiveUpYota ...did you run across anything like this in your rebuild?
2DD0F7D0-4E33-46BA-98D0-00602FB7AB90.jpeg

All finished though and ready for a dip!
0DFBE372-B4BA-4DF8-BDCF-40C890ADCAFB.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom