FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do not know the parameters. My guess is it would need to be a functional licensed vehicle. If it doesn't otherwise function a new tank makes no difference.

Been working on getting this done the past 2 or 3 weeks. 1st dealer was an ass, second was nice but said I would need to talk to corporate. Then it was back to dealer customer relations, then district rep, then back to corporate. Every step of the way the answer was "parts are no longer available". I explained every time that there are just a few hoses that are discontinued that could be replaced with bulk fuel hose, everything else is available, including the tank. I even offered to provide pictures of service invoices posted here showing what parts had been used at other dealers.

I finally got a definitive answer from my case manager at corporate that parts are "no longer available according to our technical compliance department" and they would not be able to do this work. He understood my reasoning of why I thought they should do the work with bulk fuel hose. But the answer was ultimately no, and there was nobody left at the corporate level for me to talk to. They are happy to let me buy a tank on my own or buy back my truck.
what dealer did you go to? I live in The Woodlands and got it done no problem at the dealer in Spring...My paperwork is earlier in this thread..even shows the service manager name.

My case manager actually came back to me after my last post that the tank recall parts are partially available, so I have continued to work on this since then. I have been up front with everyone I have spoken with about parts availability, yet it still took over 2 months of back and forth to get a firm answer from the first dealer. There are 5 fuel lines that came in the original 17 part kit that are no longer available from Toyota. A dealer close to me declined to do the service after inspecting the truck because "my fuel lines were too brittle to be reused, and we can't get replacements from Toyota". First off I don't believe that, I'm not even certain they actually inspected the truck while I was there. But I offered to replace all the lines myself with bulk hose and then bring the truck in for the recall and they still declined "because they can't get all the parts".

@John Staton I believe your dealer in Spring performed the recall using bulk fuel hose cut to length for those 5 lines. Corporate Toyota can't force a dealer to do that, as it's using aftermarket parts. That dealer in Spring told my case manager they declined to do the service as well. I am considering driving up there with my parts list and the pictures of your ticket to see what has changed since you had it done.

My case manager confirmed that the recall would be considered performed on their end if I had it done with bulk fuel hose. He also mentioned this week that he has a dealer in South Lake Tahoe and one in NW Arkansas doing the recall with bulk fuel line for other people he is working with. So it's basically a crap shoot if you can find a dealer willing to do the recall. Naturally Toyota won't just give me the recall parts that are available.

Does anyone know if Toyota produces a bulk fuel line? Maybe that is a loop hole I could pursue.

My local dealer has spools of bulk 5/16" and 3/8" fuel hose from carquest that they use in the service department, and I have had them do two tank recalls for local clients in the last year :meh:

My local dealer has spools of bulk 5/16" and 3/8" fuel hose from carquest that they use in the service department, and I have had them do two tank recalls for local clients in the last year :meh:
I bet it's the same at the dealer close to me. Performing this recall requires way more time, research and thought on their part compared to the normal oil change and battery replacements they do by the thousands so I am sure they are just trying to get out of it.

My case manager actually came back to me after my last post that the tank recall parts are partially available, so I have continued to work on this since then. I have been up front with everyone I have spoken with about parts availability, yet it still took over 2 months of back and forth to get a firm answer from the first dealer. There are 5 fuel lines that came in the original 17 part kit that are no longer available from Toyota. A dealer close to me declined to do the service after inspecting the truck because "my fuel lines were too brittle to be reused, and we can't get replacements from Toyota". First off I don't believe that, I'm not even certain they actually inspected the truck while I was there. But I offered to replace all the lines myself with bulk hose and then bring the truck in for the recall and they still declined "because they can't get all the parts".

@John Staton I believe your dealer in Spring performed the recall using bulk fuel hose cut to length for those 5 lines. Corporate Toyota can't force a dealer to do that, as it's using aftermarket parts. That dealer in Spring told my case manager they declined to do the service as well. I am considering driving up there with my parts list and the pictures of your ticket to see what has changed since you had it done.

My case manager confirmed that the recall would be considered performed on their end if I had it done with bulk fuel hose. He also mentioned this week that he has a dealer in South Lake Tahoe and one in NW Arkansas doing the recall with bulk fuel line for other people he is working with. So it's basically a crap shoot if you can find a dealer willing to do the recall. Naturally Toyota won't just give me the recall parts that are available.

Does anyone know if Toyota produces a bulk fuel line? Maybe that is a loop hole I could pursue.
@reddog90 im in the same boat as you and I think we have the same Toyota case manager. I talked to him 2 days ago and he mentioned the same 2 dealerships that recently performed the tank recall.
Just got my H55 completed today, might take a road trip to Tahoe

Try a smaller dealer. They don't have the service department work volume, so the payment from these jobs means more to them. Both my trucks have Goodyear and Gates hoses attached to the tank after the recall completion.

Last edited:
9ABF86AD-00BA-4A50-9507-0A4A5B5937E9.jpeg
Just got mine back from dealer with my new fuel tank and a new factory exhaust as well. Now to tackle the remaining parts of the cruiser.

There's another success story from a relatively small town, lesser-known dealer.

@reddog90 im in the same boat as you and I think we have the same Toyota case manager. I talked to him 2 days ago and he mentioned the same 2 dealerships that recently performed the tank recall.
Just got my H55 completed today, might take a road trip to Tahoe
I had mine done at Perry’s Toyota in Bishop Ca. It was no problem and I never had to call corporate for help. I walked in, they looked it up on the recall list, ordered parts and a week later it was done.Here is a copy of my invoice. Good luck.

0ACDEC2D-1D05-483B-87F0-3B6E54CBEADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my fuel tank recall performed by Charles Mound Toyota in north Austin. Talk to Will with service at 512-323-1320 and he will look up your VIN and can get the OEM tank and hoses ordered. For the 3-4 NOS fuel lines they used “bulk” lines with no issues. I bought a fuel sending unit from City Racer and a gasket from @mattressking that the service guy installed. I was charged $80 for the lines. I told Will that there are many 60 owners that might be looking for this service and I’m posting my success here on Mud, he basically said “bring it I love working on classic cruisers”.
Good luck to y’all
60652C90-135E-48D7-B201-90BF9268B841.jpeg

After 4.5 months of working with corporate and contacting 5 different dealerships, I finally got my recall done at Gulf Coast Toyota in Angleton.

Only 5 of the 17 parts within the recall kit are truly discontinued right now, and those 5 are all fuel hoses. The tank and the other 12 parts in the recall kit are still available, some with superseded part numbers. But dealerships just say "we can't get the parts" without really trying, and corporate can't force them to do this recall. I had been telling corporate and every dealership I talked to that I was willing to use bulk line for the 5 hoses that are discontinued, but I wanted to use Toyota for everything else since it was still available. I called Will at Charles Maund before I dropped my truck off at Gulf Coast. He confirmed that the only part he was able to actually get for @aer0397 was the tank, and they used bulk hose for everything else. I started to think that this was probably what every dealership that still does this recall does. I was out of dealerships within a reasonable distance to contact and Gulf Coast was willing to "start the recall work with the tank on hand, and order the other parts from Toyota as needed." My PO had replaced all the fuel lines before I bought the truck, so Gulf Coast just reused all of that. I left a new OEM fuel gauge sending unit and suction tube set in the back of the truck to install in the new tank. This has been a giant PITA, but I got my 35 year old tank replaced for free. I am not sure what the disconnect is on dealerships that are actually willing to do this recall, but they're not willing or able to order the ~$110 in small miscellaneous parts from the recall kit that are still available.

Tg7NgUw.jpg

ESqOCNn.jpg

After 4.5 months of working with corporate and contacting 5 different dealerships, I finally got my recall done at Gulf Coast Toyota in Angleton.

Only 5 of the 17 parts within the recall kit are truly discontinued right now, and those 5 are all fuel hoses. The tank and the other 12 parts in the recall kit are still available, some with superseded part numbers. But dealerships just say "we can't get the parts" without really trying, and corporate can't force them to do this recall. I had been telling corporate and every dealership I talked to that I was willing to use bulk line for the 5 hoses that are discontinued, but I wanted to use Toyota for everything else since it was still available. I called Will at Charles Maund before I dropped my truck off at Gulf Coast. He confirmed that the only part he was able to actually get for @aer0397 was the tank, and they used bulk hose for everything else. I started to think that this was probably what every dealership that still does this recall does. I was out of dealerships within a reasonable distance to contact and Gulf Coast was willing to "start the recall work with the tank on hand, and order the other parts from Toyota as needed." My PO had replaced all the fuel lines before I bought the truck, so Gulf Coast just reused all of that. I left a new OEM fuel gauge sending unit and suction tube set in the back of the truck to install in the new tank. This has been a giant PITA, but I got my 35 year old tank replaced for free. I am not sure what the disconnect is on dealerships that are actually willing to do this recall, but they're not willing or able to order the ~$110 in small miscellaneous parts from the recall kit that are still available.

Tg7NgUw.jpg

ESqOCNn.jpg
Congrats....I had done a lot of research and was ready for a fight when I went to Fred Haas and they took it no questions. Probably could of saved a few bucks sourcing the fuel pickup somewhere else, but I just told them to order a new one and I think I got out for around $300. Crazy that a car maker would do such a big ticket recall on a truck from 1983. I dropped my info earlier in the thread along with receipts that will hopefully help someone.

Congrats....I had done a lot of research and was ready for a fight when I went to Fred Haas and they took it no questions. Probably could of saved a few bucks sourcing the fuel pickup somewhere else, but I just told them to order a new one and I think I got out for around $300. Crazy that a car maker would do such a big ticket recall on a truck from 1983. I dropped my info earlier in the thread along with receipts that will hopefully help someone.
The info you provided was helpful to me. I used that picture of yours to update part numbers above. Fred Haas declined to do it for me unfortunately. They were the second dealer I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom